General NCAA thread

slugboy

Staff member
We can use this for general NCAA conversation. I think people might have a point of view

Mark Emmert’s contract to run the NCAA gets renewed, almost in a footnote, after a couple of years of clumsy management. Which makes me think he’s running the NCAA exactly like the board of governors wants him to

slugboy

Staff member
@slugboy - since you follow this closely it appears, what do you see changing as a result of your 2 posts above?
I’ve seen two competing and conflicting interpretations
  1. It’s not as big a deal as some people think
  2. The courts just said a. Amateurism is a sham b. The NCAA is not exempt from anti-trust enforcement c. The NCAA schools have been unfairly profiting from athlete labor
Kavanaugh’s writing looks more like it came from an AFL-CIO lawyer.
32AF7E34-7B4E-45F7-8F0C-A8A3E634CE59.jpeg

I don’t know what’s going to happen, but this legal approach was Emmert’s brainchild, and his contract just got renewed.

slugboy

Staff member
I didn’t even have this on my radar for today. Write up of possible unionization from Alex Kirschner

I don’t think that will happen, but formerly “crazy talk” is in the discussion now

FD22B5CE-FDFD-4216-BB53-2EE72F569316.png

Last edited:

slugboy

Staff member
More interpretation that seems to think this is the start of something. Big money programs are likely beneficiaries. There are limits, but sports are more and more like a job

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
More interpretation that seems to think this is the start of something. Big money programs are likely beneficiaries. There are limits, but sports are more and more like a job

In that case, if the gap between the have's and the have-nots continue to widen, it might prove beneficial to realign schools not so much geographically as it happened in the beginning but by resources, priorities and goals. I could fall in line with that depending on how things truly shake out.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
It's already too late to say that paying athletes will make for an unlevel playing field, but this will only tilt it further. The NFL has a revenue sharing model and salary caps. I wonder if that is coming to the NCAA?

Random thoughts:

According to the NCAA, among the 65 P5 schools, only 25 recorded a positive net generated revenue in 2019. I know there are accounting tricks being used, but most schools are treading water under the current system. Unless more money comes in from somewhere, those 40 negative cash flow programs are going to lose big in this new system (whatever it is).

These are the top 20 (public) schools ranked by total sports revenue. You will notice that the revenue ranking is not the same as the Top 20 CFP ranking.
University of Texas: $223,879,781
Texas A&M University: $212,748,002
The Ohio State University: $210,548,239
University of Michigan: $197,820,410
University of Georgia: $174,042,482
Penn State University: $164,529,326
University of Alabama: $164,090,889
University of Oklahoma: $163,126,695
University of Florida: $159,706,937
Louisiana State University: $157,787,782
University of Wisconsin: $157,660,107
Florida State University: $152,757,883
Auburn University: $152,455,416
University of Iowa: $151,976,026
University of Kentucky: $150,435,842
University of Tennessee: $143,765,903
University of South Carolina: $140,695,659
Michigan State University: $140,010,865
University of Louisville: $139,955,824

Here is the source of that data: https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances/

LibertyTurns

Banned
13 of the Top 15 from 2019 are in the Top 25 in revenue. If anything is more indicative of what it takes to compete at elite levels it’s this revenue list. ND is not on the list because they’re private but they’re definitely Top 25 in revenue. Cinderella stories abound every year ie GT 2014, but nobody competes year in, year out without a wad of cash. GT needs another $50M/year to compete. We got our work cut out for us.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Football brings in about 70% of all sports revenue at NCAA schools. And it probably higher than that for the top 20 schools I listed earlier. Would any of those schools opt in for a revenue sharing model?

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I’ve seen two competing and conflicting interpretations
  1. It’s not as big a deal as some people think
  2. The courts just said a. Amateurism is a sham b. The NCAA is not exempt from anti-trust enforcement c. The NCAA schools have been unfairly profiting from athlete labor
Kavanaugh’s writing looks more like it came from an AFL-CIO lawyer.
View attachment 10724
I don’t know what’s going to happen, but this legal approach was Emmert’s brainchild, and his contract just got renewed.
This sets a dangerous precedent. Kavanaugh calling college athletes "workers" is going to have interesting consequences, I think.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
This sets a dangerous precedent. Kavanaugh calling college athletes "workers" is going to have interesting consequences, I think.
I agree with this. Are member of the Morehouse College Glee Club "workers" because I paid $25 for a ticket to their Christmas concert? I wonder how many lawsuits will be filed to give them compensation for the hours of work that went into that evening's show.