General Investing and Economics Discussion - No Politics

Deleted member 2897

Doge with a 3,000+% return in the last 3 months. LOL...good for those that invested in it.

I don't know that I would use the word 'invested'. Its literally called a 'meme currency'. It was created to make fun of Bitcoin and has a $10B valuation despite not consisting of anything of intrinsic value.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I don't know that I would use the word 'invested'. Its literally called a 'meme currency'. It was created to make fun of Bitcoin and has a $10B valuation despite not consisting of anything of intrinsic value.
I'm too lazy to get access to it (COME ON ALREADY COINBASE), but I was going to buy it because it was funny and less than a penny.

Even at current prices, I'd throw a day at the craps table (around $500) at it for sheer entertainment value.

I'd do it for the lolz, but you're not wrong.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I'm too lazy to get access to it (COME ON ALREADY COINBASE), but I was going to buy it because it was funny and less than a penny.

Even at current prices, I'd throw a day at the craps table (around $500) at it for sheer entertainment value.

I'd do it for the lolz, but you're not wrong.
I put some play money into several things. I got $200 worth of Doge (actually $182 of Doge. I bought $200 of Bitcoin from Coinbase, then transferred that to my wallet, then transferred it to Kraken. After all of the Coinbase fees, transfer fees, and Kraken fees it was only $182.) It is now worth $250. I opened a Robinhood account with $50. They give you a free stock for opening an account and for some reason I got two. One was OPKO health which is worth about $5. They other was Visa with is worth about $200. So currently my $250 of play money investments is worth $510. (I fully expect the bottom to drop out of Doge and lose my $200. However, Visa is probably fairly stable.)

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I put some play money into several things. I got $200 worth of Doge (actually $182 of Doge. I bought $200 of Bitcoin from Coinbase, then transferred that to my wallet, then transferred it to Kraken. After all of the Coinbase fees, transfer fees, and Kraken fees it was only $182.) It is now worth $250. I opened a Robinhood account with $50. They give you a free stock for opening an account and for some reason I got two. One was OPKO health which is worth about $5. They other was Visa with is worth about $200. So currently my $250 of play money investments is worth $510. (I fully expect the bottom to drop out of Doge and lose my $200. However, Visa is probably fairly stable.)

I want to open a Kraken or Uphold account to buy Doge, but neither are licensed in NY State.

Do it for the LOLZ!

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I want to open a Kraken or Uphold account to buy Doge, but neither are licensed in NY State.

Do it for the LOLZ!
You can buy Doge on Robinhood, and get a free stock for setting up an account. (probably worth less than $5, but you might get lucky and get Visa.)

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
You can buy Doge on Robinhood, and get a free stock for setting up an account. (probably worth less than $5, but you might get lucky and get Visa.)
I appreciate the tip. Trading restrictions at work keep me from getting on Robinhood. Coinbase's strict currency focus is another story.

I have a friend who put in $500 to DOGE for LOLZ and is now up over $1000.
I love it! That's 100% LOLZ!

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Not sure if this has been discussed, but has anyone seen one of their hobbies turned in to an alternative asset class?

For example, I got in to the Original Comic Book Art hobby back in late 2019 and the market movements have been so absurd, even in the short time I'm collecting, that I've been priced out of many targets for years to come. I've also had a couple of pieces I know are now worth 2x-5x what I paid.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
LOL story that's not so LOL now:

First time I even heard of Bitcoin was from my buddy. He invested $10K when they were worth $90 each. He sold out at around $500 each.

Today that $10K investment would have been worth $4.4+ million.

It's all fake money...

Deleted member 2897

LOL story that's not so LOL now:

First time I even heard of Bitcoin was from my buddy. He invested $10K when they were work $90 each. He sold out at around $500 each.

Today that $10K investment would have been worth $4.4+ million.

It's all fake money...

The stories of people who forgot their passwords and are out tens and sometimes a hundred million is just crazy. I'd have that password stored in so many different locations!