Gen. Colin Powell, R.I.P.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Gen. Powell was immunocompromised. He was vaccinated. It was a complicated COVID case.

I took an early retirement from Criminal Investigation in the Treasury Dept. in Dec. 2000 to take care of my infant son. His mom had passed. One of my positions was managing an Informant Line Unit for the Southeastern U.S. in Atlanta. When my best buddy Sgt. Major G.A. Morris who worked in Facilities Management needed a permanent job to avoid furlough, I hired him in said I.L.U.

When Colin started in the Army, Gary was the one who briefed him. I was more than shocked the first time he put General Powell on speakerphone, because he liked to play practical jokes on me. He never bragged previously on knowing Powell. A man(Sarge Maj. G.M.)who did 3 1/2 tours of Vietnam, could have tossed a turd ration in my face. I lost him in 1997, the most difficult eulogy ever given. When I had to give the Unit away per Congress to a different division, I chose Gary to help me teach the classes. 25 people at a time for two weeks as they gated the calls, until we got to 200 trained. The first person he called was Colin, to try to keep our unit intact. Later on, Gen. Powell called me asking if I needed help placing our folks into other jobs. Those men were salt of the earth American Patriots. I’m thinking of my two friends today.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Gen. Powell was immunocompromised. He was vaccinated. It was a complicated COVID case.

I took an early retirement from Criminal Investigation in the Treasury Dept. in Dec. 2000 to take care of my infant son. His mom had passed. One of my positions was managing an Informant Line Unit for the Southeastern U.S. in Atlanta. When my best buddy Sgt. Major G.A. Morris who worked in Facilities Management needed a permanent job to avoid furlough, I hired him in said I.L.U.

When Colin started in the Army, Gary was the one who briefed him. I was more than shocked the first time he put General Powell on speakerphone, because he liked to play practical jokes on me. He never bragged previously on knowing Powell. A man(Sarge Maj. G.M.)who did 3 1/2 tours of Vietnam, could have tossed a turd ration in my face. I lost him in 1997, the most difficult eulogy ever given. When I had to give the Unit away per Congress to a different division, I chose Gary to help me teach the classes. 25 people at a time for two weeks as they gated the calls, until we got to 200 trained. The first person he called was Colin, to try to keep our unit intact. Later on, Gen. Powell called me asking if I needed help placing our folks into other jobs. Those men were salt of the earth American Patriots. I’m thinking of my two friends today.
I am sorry for our nation's loss, and your private one as well. The good we do in life is all that is left when we leave. Happy to read this story and learn a little more about him, your friend Gary and your life.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
I am sorry for our nation's loss, and your private one as well. The good we do in life is all that is left when we leave. Happy to read this story and learn a little more about him, your friend Gary and your life.
Than you, Brother!
General Powell did two tours of ‘Nam. These men had more medals put together than a trophy shop. Gary had a long career because he went in straight out of HS. His dad was mean to him, terribly. The most loyal friend I have ever had. I miss him every day. That’s why today is so tough. When SMGM didn’t want to sit back and take U.I. government benefits, I insisted he come with us. The least I could do. We were the better for having HIM!

slugboy

Staff member
I’ve seen him on company-wide Zoom calls for the last 18 months or so. Glad you got to work with him in person