GaTech fans

Are we the most pessimistic fan base in college football?

I have been a Tech fan for about 30 years now. I have seen the good, the bad, and the downright ugly. Been a member here for a good while now. There is a lot of knowledge and wisdom on this board, but, ain't there always one. Some are so pessimistic it is disturbing. If you feel Tech is gonna have an awful year because of player dismissals or choosing to leave have fun with that why try to rationalize your personal distaste to others. I attempt to remain optimistic( check with me after the first 4 games) and enthusiastic. I love all Tech sports but as a sidewalk fan I realize the rigors of the institute on the student athlete. Would I love for us to be contenders for championships of course, but I will always pull for the Ramblin Wreck regardless. I am looking forward till the day I retire and move and can be a season ticket holder. Thanks to all who contribute to the excellent and informative agenda on this site. But if you think the sky is falling say so but don't try to convince others of your personal doomsday.

MountPGT1990

Banned
Here here, thwg!

I think some times posts are made without wearing gold colored glasses and people can get their panties in a wad. Truth doesn't necessarily mean being pessimistic. I still think we can have a good to great year just going to be harder without best player on team. I too will always pull for Jackets

So I will just use this thread. Been going to Tech games since 1969, seen the great, the good, the bad, and the ugly. This year I am optimistic. Lose Mills, sorry for the kid but folks, it aint like 2015 where we lost 10 offensive starters and then had a bunch of injuries. And even then I think we lost 5 games by six point or less. I do not worry about CPJ and offense. I am optimistic because of the Defense. That's right. I think we are going to have a pretty good front seven and our secondary is going to be one of the best GT has had since 1990. Give us two extras stops per game and 10 wins is very possible. I would add that our new punter is looking good but how often does CPJ punt?

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
I think, truth be told, we are like a vast majority of fan bases. With the exception of bama & OSU type programs, we do not really know from year to year how things will turn out.

You start feeling optimistic and then doubt creeps in because of a certain position group, injuries, or a different position coach from the last great year. Who knows what it will be?

The solid truth is we have no idea (regardless of Mills) whether we will win 10 or 4 games this year.

Almost time for TML.

Old South Stands

Jolly Good Fellow

I have been a Tech fan for about 30 years now. I have seen the good, the bad, and the downright ugly. Been a member here for a good while now. There is a lot of knowledge and wisdom on this board, but, ain't there always one. Some are so pessimistic it is disturbing. If you feel Tech is gonna have an awful year because of player dismissals or choosing to leave have fun with that why try to rationalize your personal distaste to others. I attempt to remain optimistic( check with me after the first 4 games) and enthusiastic. I love all Tech sports but as a sidewalk fan I realize the rigors of the institute on the student athlete. Would I love for us to be contenders for championships of course, but I will always pull for the Ramblin Wreck regardless. I am looking forward till the day I retire and move and can be a season ticket holder. Thanks to all who contribute to the excellent and informative agenda on this site. But if you think the sky is falling say so but don't try to convince others of your personal doomsday.

Been a Tech fan for a little over 40 years. A lot has happened during those years... a lot of losing seasons, some really terrible seasons, some excellent seasons, and a few seasons that were practically sublime. In between some of the good seasons have been some pretty awful stretches. In recent (post 1966) seasons, Tech has suffered a lot of what most Atlanta/Georgia sports teams suffer through (including UGA): big let-downs. The Flames were the first "good" Atlanta team and got into the playoffs regularly, but they only won one playoff game in their tenure here. The Hawks seemed destined to be the first major-league team in Atlanta to get a title, but they couldn't quite do it. The Braves - to everyone's surprise - won Atlanta's first title, but they could have easily won two or three more. The Falcons have failed notoriously on the several occasions they've gotten close, and the Bulldogs seem to let down their fan base year after year (I think their fan base is more pessimistic than Tech's: dissatisfied when they win and miserable when they lose).

The best thing to do is not take it all so seriously. I don't anymore. I've been lucky to witness a NC up close. To have it happen between my freshman year and graduation was something few Tech students ever get to experience. A lot of "random" factors came together at once to help make that happen, for one, a president who worked well with the AD and really pushed athletics. One of the things that made it special, though, was that it was unexpected. We knew after '89 that Tech would be good, probably a top-10 team. But win a share of the title? Had everyone expected the Jackets to go all the way, it would have been a major letdown if they'd failed. Many of us thought Tech was probably going to lose to UVA, so the rest was gravy.

If the NC had never happened, there was still the Fog Bowl, the "Miracle" on Techwood Drive, the Kick and Pick, Curry's wins over Bama, and countless other games that helped make the lean years all worthwhile...

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
Here here, thwg!

I think some times posts are made without wearing gold colored glasses and people can get their panties in a wad. Truth doesn't necessarily mean being pessimistic. I still think we can have a good to great year just going to be harder without best player on team. I too will always pull for Jackets
Best player on the team???????

Milwaukee

Banned
Lmao guilty as charged. I think we're gonna get rolled by TN. I'm the 1%. But I thought that even before Dedrick's dismissal.

I can be pleasantly surprised if we win, but won't be shocked if we get drilled on national television on a huge stage. For the record that's not how I approach life, that's just what GT has done to me.

Is it pessimism, or realism? By nature most of us are card-carrying members of the victory of science and technology over myth and superstition. We see the facts, analyze the possible outcomes, and establish an opinion. That's where the magic comes back in. How many times have we been rewarded with victories that "just could not realistically happen"? More than just a few. It is one of my happiest times when our team somehow becomes greater than the sum of its parts and pulls it off.

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
Is it pessimism, or realism? By nature most of us are card-carrying members of the victory of science and technology over myth and superstition. We see the facts, analyze the possible outcomes, and establish an opinion. That's where the magic comes back in. How many times have we been rewarded with victories that "just could not realistically happen"? More than just a few. It is one of my happiest times when our team somehow becomes greater than the sum of its parts and pulls it off.

If you look at the randomness surrounding GT football for the past 50 years and think there is some science or technology to explain it, please proceed with the explanation. It is nothing but myth and superstition. A team riding a 16 game conference losing streak suddenly flips a switch and 18 months later is the Nation Champion. That same team then flips the switch back and goes 1-10 three years later. Only in fairy tales does the little nerdy guy slay the dragon to win the princess, and then decides to go back to shoveling out stables. How many lumps of coal have we made into diamonds. Dewberry was a WR at uga, JT was going to be a DB at Bama, Hamilton was too short to play qb, Hollings was a defensive back, Brooking wasn't even all state in high school, we were the only school to offer Jerry Mays a scholarship, Durant Brooks played at GMC, Lynch was going to Georgia State, we run a high school offense and win Orange Bowls, we make athletes go to regular classes and get valuable degrees. At our very worst in 1980 and '81, #1 Notre Dame had to come from behind to tie our one win team in 80 and we beat #2 Bama on the road for our only win in '81. Myth and superstition is the ether surrounding the oldest and winningest stadium in the nation. If there was any science to it, I would just stay home and play with my computer. I'm superstitious enough to think that it matters if I don't show up for the game. I've witnessed things that supposedly only happen in myths. That's why it is so agonizing that I have to wait another damn 2 weeks to find out about this mythical quarterback PJ has hidden.

If you look at the randomness surrounding GT football for the past 50 years and think there is some science or technology to explain it, please proceed with the explanation. It is nothing but myth and superstition. A team riding a 16 game conference losing streak suddenly flips a switch and 18 months later is the Nation Champion. That same team then flips the switch back and goes 1-10 three years later. Only in fairy tales does the little nerdy guy slay the dragon to win the princess, and then decides to go back to shoveling out stables. How many lumps of coal have we made into diamonds. Dewberry was a WR at uga, JT was going to be a DB at Bama, Hamilton was too short to play qb, Hollings was a defensive back, Brooking wasn't even all state in high school, we were the only school to offer Jerry Mays a scholarship, Durant Brooks played at GMC, Lynch was going to Georgia State, we run a high school offense and win Orange Bowls, we make athletes go to regular classes and get valuable degrees. At our very worst in 1980 and '81, #1 Notre Dame had to come from behind to tie our one win team in 80 and we beat #2 Bama on the road for our only win in '81. Myth and superstition is the ether surrounding the oldest and winningest stadium in the nation. If there was any science to it, I would just stay home and play with my computer. I'm superstitious enough to think that it matters if I don't show up for the game. I've witnessed things that supposedly only happen in myths. That's why it is so agonizing that I have to wait another damn 2 weeks to find out about this mythical quarterback PJ has hidden.
That tie against the Irish gave Georgia the national championship. :-(

Malpharetta04

Georgia Tech Fan
There is a very strong and direct correlation between my level of optimism for GT athletics and the amount of alcohol in my system.