Gary Patterson

Wrecked

Ramblin' Wreck
Is now cancelled. He’ll be out of a job in 72 hrs.
Not so sure. Did he tell his players to quit saying it or did he direct it at a player? I found it hard to believe he would be dumb enough to actually direct that toward a player, and if he did he should be gone.

Milwaukee

Banned
Not so sure. Did he tell his players to quit saying it or did he direct it at a player? I found it hard to believe he would be dumb enough to actually direct that toward a player, and if he did he should be gone.

From what I’ve read he said he didn’t say “The n word” but he said it in that regard meaning “I’ve never said “””

We’ve gone full retard

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
From what I’ve read he said he didn’t say “The n word” but he said it in that regard meaning “I’ve never said “””

We’ve gone full retard

What I read is that he told the players to stop using that word in the team meeting room. He didn't edit himself, he just said "don't say ****** in the team room". (Just so I don't get in trouble, I wasn't censored, I typed multiple *s). I don't use that word. However, I think a little context is important. It seems apparent that the word was in regular use by at least some players on the team. I don't understand how it is not obscene to be used in the team room, but it is obscene if used to try to prevent it's use in the team room.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
What I read is that he told the players to stop using that word in the team meeting room. He didn't edit himself, he just said "don't say ****** in the team room". (Just so I don't get in trouble, I wasn't censored, I typed multiple *s). I don't use that word. However, I think a little context is important. It seems apparent that the word was in regular use by at least some players on the team. I don't understand how it is not obscene to be used in the team room, but it is obscene if used to try to prevent it's use in the team room.

Yeah seriously... If all there is to this is him telling the players to quit saying it, the controversy is really dumb. If they want to clarify that they want him to say "n word" instead if used in that context, then fine.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Yeah seriously... If all there is to this is him telling the players to quit saying it, the controversy is really dumb. If they want to clarify that they want him to say "n word" instead if used in that context, then fine.

I saw on Twitter, which isn't a reliable source, that he said, don't say it. Then the next day responding to someone said that he didn't call a particular player that word. I assume some players who were under the impression that he called someone that word. There are plenty of players in the reports I saw that say he wasn't using the word in a disrespectful way. They said that any use is unacceptable, but that they are moving on.

I suspected that the players using that word are the players who are upset about the coach telling them to stop. According to Artayvious Lynn, it was. According to him, the coach said don't say that word. This player asked "what". The coach said to this player that he had been saying that word in the meeting room. This player told lots of players and created the walkout. Then in a team meeting the coach said that he didn't call him that word, he was telling him not to use that word.

I didn't link the actual tweet because it contained that word multiple times. It appears that Dylan Jordan didn't like being called out for offensive language, so he got mad at the coach for using the exact same language to call him out.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Here is a tweet from the player who was using the word in the meeting room complaining that it is improper to use that word regardless of context.

Milwaukee

Banned
The man has dedicated himself 40yrs to helping student athletes, most of which who are black. One black player says the N word is used in the locker room by other players, so Patterson holds a meeting and literally says the N word is NOT allowed in that locker room. So that player runs and tries to cancel Patterson for using the word to say it’s NOT okay. It’s 2020. We’ve gone full retard.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
The man has dedicated himself 40yrs to helping student athletes, most of which who are black. One black player says the N word is used in the locker room by other players, so Patterson holds a meeting and literally says the N word is NOT allowed in that locker room. So that player runs and tries to cancel Patterson for using the word to say it’s NOT okay. It’s 2020. We’ve gone full retard.

What I read said that it wasn't a player that complained about other players using the word, it was the player that was using the word in the meeting room that is upset. The player used inappropriate language, was called out for it, and is now complaining that the coach used the same inappropriate language that he did.

Milwaukee

Banned
What I read said that it wasn't a player that complained about other players using the word, it was the player that was using the word in the meeting room that is upset. The player used inappropriate language, was called out for it, and is now complaining that the coach used the same inappropriate language that he did.

We’ve gone full retard.

LibertyTurns

Banned
I saw on Twitter, which isn't a reliable source, that he said, don't say it. Then the next day responding to someone said that he didn't call a particular player that word. I assume some players who were under the impression that he called someone that word. There are plenty of players in the reports I saw that say he wasn't using the word in a disrespectful way. They said that any use is unacceptable, but that they are moving on.

I suspected that the players using that word are the players who are upset about the coach telling them to stop. According to Artayvious Lynn, it was. According to him, the coach said don't say that word. This player asked "what". The coach said to this player that he had been saying that word in the meeting room. This player told lots of players and created the walkout. Then in a team meeting the coach said that he didn't call him that word, he was telling him not to use that word.

I didn't link the actual tweet because it contained that word multiple times. It appears that Dylan Jordan didn't like being called out for offensive language, so he got mad at the coach for using the exact same language to call him out.

Try to post a twit for the first time, but Shannon Sharpe gets it completely wrong. Military, not civilian, but we’d get the youngsters together early on and informed them that disrespectful language is just that, disrespectful. Does not matter who’s saying it, not at all. If he and his friends cannot respect themselves, how does he expect anyone else to respect him? So sad he’s on the wrong side of this issue when he could be displaying real leadership.

shannon sharpe
⁦‪@ShannonSharpe‬⁩

Gary Patterson is out of pocket. He doesn't get to determine how we communicate to our peers in our community. And he doesn't get the luxury to repeat the words we use either. pic.twitter.com/Gjgv2GQBEJ

8/4/20, 3:47 PM

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Try to post a twit for the first time, but Shannon Sharpe gets it completely wrong. Military, not civilian, but we’d get the youngsters together early on and informed them that disrespectful language is just that, disrespectful. Does not matter who’s saying it, not at all. If he and his friends cannot respect themselves, how does he expect anyone else to respect him? So sad he’s on the wrong side of this issue when he could be displaying real leadership.

I don't use that word in any context and it galls me that so many of us (black people) do. I teach my kids it's not acceptable in any context. People who know me know not to use it around me or they will hear a sermon about how f*kng ignorant it is. As you said, disrespectful is disrespectful.

I hate when people say stuff like, "if I was there, I woulda ..." but I can imagine I might've expressed some incredulity with the player who used the word now being offended.

That said, Gary Patterson left himself open to this.