Gant and Hill

Kmag

Jolly Good Fellow
I heard these guys were coming to campus this weekend. Eric do you know if they showed up and if they did how did their visit go?
Do you think we have a legit shot at either or both?

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
I do know they did indeed visit...however I have not checked into it much yet as I have been busy with football recruiting. When I hear something I will pass it on.

They both have serious interest in GT...Hill would likely be UNC bound if they offer though.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Here's a short blurb which mentions the visit (more so from Gant's perspective).

http://www.hoopseen.com/index.php/news/just-a-minute-justin-young/item/432-just-a-minute-june-12

"According to Effingham County head coach Donnie Arrington, the visit went well for Gant. Georgia Tech did a nice job of selling the benefit of academics to Gant, Arrington said, and that was appealing.

Does that mean Gant is favoring the Yellow Jackets? Nope. Arrington said it best that no one really knows who is the leader in the clubhouse. Gant doesn't reveal a lot with regards to recruiting. Or anything for that matter."

I've read other places that there might be a possibility that the two want to attend the same school, but it seems Hill is more likely to head out of state.  As Eric mentions, UNC seems to be the dream school but they may be in on a few higher wing targets.  Hopefully they and UCONN fill up.

The author predicted Cofer to TN and now predicts Gant to FSU.  Hoping he goes .500.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Jn4heisman said:
Are these the 2 highest ranked players we are going after?

It seems so.  I haven't seen any twitter activity or other info on any higher targets and GT.

I like the Vic Law kid out of the Chicago area.  He's a 4-star type SG/SF who's said all along he's looking to major in Business and values academics.  Has visited us, Harvard and I think Purdue.  He participated in the adidas eurocamp with some other selected HS kids this past week.  I'm looking for updates but haven't found any yet.

Tadric Jackson is another kid that's been discussed.  We've also talked about Trayvon Reed who was very highly thought of after his SO year.  He's been falling in the rankings and is seen as more potential than production.  It's been reported several times that he's ours to lose as long as he gets the grades.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Eric said:
We've passed on Law.

Well crap.  Then again, I hadn't been able to figure out why the Illini seems so low on him and he's a local kid for them.  Must be something there.

To Jn4heisman, Leron Black is another highly rated kid we seem to be after.  I don't think he's realistic for us though.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Jn4heisman said:
So are only chance at a high recruit is a late bloomer?

I don't have any inside knowledge, but my gut feeling is we end up with Gant, T. Jackson, Reed and probably another guard.  That's a pretty good class if it happens.  That would be more highly rated than the class of MGH, Carter and Bolden and that was top 15-20.

The guy predicting Gant to FSU is doing so mainly because they hired Charlton Young IMHO.  Someone else pointed out that Gant hasn't even visited there yet.

I think we're in pretty good shape overall but, again, that's JMHO.

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
We need to make a splash in the ACC this year. Win a few games we shouldn't. Gregory has been doing everything right as far as recruiting, but good players want national exposure which only comes when you're good. It was easier to sell the past few guys (seems like one continuous class honestly with Solo coming in) on building a new team in the best league in the country, play in the most high tech arena, all while getting a great education. If we're not building a winning program you can play in the highest tech arena in the world and it'll look the same on ESPN3. That said, I believe we have the talent on the front end to do a lot of damage, but our depth scares me.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Here's a decent write-up on Hill from CBS.

Hill - CBS update

Says he's hearing the most from GT, UF, IU and Marquette.

Site also has a short write-up on Trayvon Reed. 

Reed - CBS update

Says he may go to Huntington Prep and lists GT, UGA :)roll:), UF, Maryland and Miami as the schools recruiting him the hardest.

Here's another CBS article with updates on Gant and Tadric Jackson

Gant/Jackson - CBS update

Mentions Tech visit:

Gant, a 6-foot-8 power forward from Effingham County, Ga., is ranked No. 33 in the 247 Sports Composite. He visited Georgia Tech last week.
“I like the new gym,” he said. “The coaches, everything they had. The dorms, everything.”

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Here's another short story about Gant and his recruitment.  Says he and Hill are a package deal :)roll:) and are looking for a PG to sign with them.

Hoop Seen - Gant

"Player development (is going to be important)," Gant said. "I want to just run and play and learn from my mistakes. Having a winning program is good, too."

But it may go deeper than just what happens on the court. Gant yielded a new wrinkle in the recruiting process. He wants to play with Hill in college.

"Yeah, me and Ahmed are going together," Gant said of his summer teammate. The two have played together since the eighth grade, he said.

"We play together. I stay with him over the summer. We've got that going," Gant said. "All we need is a point guard with us."

Hopefully Poole and Jorgenson can show these guys they don't need to bring in a PG, we got two waiting for them when they get here.
icon_king.png

That's another decent site for local hoops info, by the way.