Game Thread - @ UGA, 11/20/2019

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
lv20gt, I love your posts. On both the football and basketball forums I think your posts are some of the most analytical and on point posts of anyone on the board, but this hang up you have about the little brother syndrome is annoying. You need to hate uga more.

I agree with everything you said about the actual game.

I hate UGA plenty. But personal hatred doesn't make a game more important. UGA is largely irrelevant in basketball even with their better recruiting class. Out of conference games in general aren't nearly as important, and because of that early season games usually aren't as important.

We shoot 40% from 3 range and almost 50% from the field we’ll win games. It’s the third game and they haven’t played in a week. Let’s wait until we get in the ACC games before we start the doom and gloom

I didn't intend to be doom and gloom. Any time you lose with someone going off for 30+ there had to be a good bit to also go wrong. We have potential, but to reach that potential we have several things we need to address.

DeVoe's last minute heroics is the only reason we were close enough to claim FTs were the issues. They obviously didn't help but it wasn't the core issue. FWIW we missed 11 FTs and they missed 8. We have a lot more issues right now than missed FTs.

It wasn't the only issue, but FTs are why the game got out of hand. This game is very different if it's a 3 point game at the half instead of 8 and if they push it to an 8 or 9 point lead instead of 15. We had other issues, but FTs are the thing that is completely, 100% on the team. Banks playing poorly is affected by how the other team plays defense, and our defense playing poorly is affected by how the other team plays offense. They were issues, but FTs have nothing to do with the other team. We might still lose if we hit our FTs but it's a much different game and we would have had a much better chance to win.

FrytownJacket

Georgia Tech Fan
The best 4 seasons of GT basketball are probably 1985, 1990, 1996, and 2004. GT lost to the dwags 3 out of 4 of those seasons.

I hate the dwags as much as any of you. Unlike many of you, I like GT a lot more than I hate the dwags. The football game is THAT important. The basketball game isn't.

bs....Anytime we play ga in anything its THAT important...... Nothing against you but I believe part of the problem is we lose to them so regularly fans try and convince them self that its not really important... Is it the end of the world when we lose? No, but make no mistake the ga game in any sport is important.... At least to the older guys like me it is !!

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Again we missed 11 FTs and they missed 8. We both sucked. They are thinking this game isn't close at all if they made their FTs

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
For me it wasn’t just free throws.

traveling against close outs
Empty fast breaks
Getting out rebounded by a team that’s 280th in the country in rebounding
Inability to make open shots
Pastner benching Parham in favor of Alvarado when Parham was awesome early
Continued deployment of Moses Wright on the perimeter and his continued inability to pass up a triple. (Usher can’t get eligible fast enough)

A Pastner led GT team hasn’t put a complete game together since Okogie left. It’s been short stints of brilliance sandwiched by long stretches of SWAC basketball.

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
bs....Anytime we play ga in anything its THAT important...... Nothing against you but I believe part of the problem is we lose to them so regularly fans try and convince them self that its not really important... Is it the end of the world when we lose? No, but make no mistake the ga game in any sport is important.... At least to the older guys like me it is !!

It isn't BS. We are arguing different things. You are concerned with what is most important to you, which is fine. I am much more concerned with what is best for GT basketball.

If you would trade any Gregory year for 1985, 1996, or 2004 because we beat the dwags that year then we simply have different priorities.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Do you have any idea that every game this season is meaningless in regards to March? The only reason to hope for a good year is for recruiting. When you get destroyed by your biggest in-state rival year in year on the court it’s disheartening. When you’re getting destroyed year in year out in recruiting by that same in-state rival, it’s embarrassing. GT plays in the biggest basketball market in the southeast, in the best basketball conference in the country, and is getting destroyed by a team with essentially no basketball history other than one player in the 80s. This game matters, and it matters a lot. To throw it away every year is embarrassing.

I really wish you and your girlfriend (THWG16) would educate yourselves before you come here and start bumping your gums.

Another option would be to just stop posting because you have no clue what you’re talking about. ESPN has forgotten more at GT hoops than either of you will ever know.

FrytownJacket

Georgia Tech Fan
It isn't BS. We are arguing different things. You are concerned with what is most important to you, which is fine. I am much more concerned with what is best for GT basketball.

If you would trade any Gregory year for 1985, 1996, or 2004 because we beat the dwags that year then we simply have different priorities.

We can agree to disagree, but I can assure you that I'm not by myself on this.... And the part about us losing to them so much that lots of fans are becoming numb to the rivalry is real.. And that's because of all sports not just basketball..

GTbball2016

Helluva Engineer
For me it wasn’t just free throws.

traveling against close outs
Empty fast breaks
Getting out rebounded by a team that’s 280th in the country in rebounding
Inability to make open shots
Pastner benching Parham in favor of Alvarado when Parham was awesome early
Continued deployment of Moses Wright on the perimeter and his continued inability to pass up a triple. (Usher can’t get eligible fast enough)

A Pastner led GT team hasn’t put a complete game together since Okogie left. It’s been short stints of brilliance sandwiched by long stretches of SWAC basketball.

This is a fantastic post that I hope doesn’t get lost in the shuffle.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
Crappy loss, but I thought we expected to lose this game coming in? Can’t lose more than 3 in OOC most likely if we’re going to lose 8-9 in conference play. Jose wasn’t healthy clearly. If he is, and plays 28 minutes vs 16 we win. We should improve and I expect this to be a pretty good team.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Agree. But I’m still not going to panic. Again make FT and we win. Go back to NCST. We made FT and everybody was on the bandwagon. Got beat tonight and people want to give up on the team and season. Winning in The ACC make this loss seem small

It’s the same ones after every loss. At least most of them do a good enough job of making themselves look like 2 year old crybabies that they lose all credibility. Others just **** talk because it’s in their DNA.

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
We can agree to disagree, but I can assure you that I'm not by myself on this.... And the part about us losing to them so much that lots of fans are becoming numb to the rivalry is real.. And that's because of all sports not just basketball..

I'm certain you aren't alone. We have way too many fans who hate Georgia more than they like Tech.

Feel free to choose your 3 favorite seasons of GT hoops and explain why they are better to you than 1985, 1996, and 2004. If you can do it without feeling like you are lying then you REALLY hate them.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Georgia is not good. A tournament team beats that Georgia team.

Not when their starting PG and one of their best scorers and playmakers is hobbled and doesn’t play half the game. It was obvious that Jose wasn’t himself from the tip. We don’t have enough playmakers on the offensive end to have him go out. We need him scoring and facilitating the offense. Without him, our offense grinds to a halt.

Banks has had the flu the last week, and Khalid finally came to earth and had a terrible game. That’s a recipe for disaster in a rivalry game.

Last edited:

bobongo

Helluva Engineer

It's not an either/or proposition.