Game Thread - @ Pitt, 2/8/2020

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
We have no real offensive methodology which leads to a lot of dribbling around the key and sloppy forced passes or flat out unforced turnovers due to lack of clarity of an efficient system.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Serious question. What do you have to do to be labeled “contributing member?” I see petty attacks on the Pastner and the players but otherwise I haven’t seen a single substantive “contribution.”

you have almost never seen me attack players. If ever.

OG-T

Jolly Good Fellow
My take on Devoe was a view I shared early season. During his initial tear, his on-court display of passion was elevating to join his level of skill. He was literally yelling and screaming after And Ones. He was very vocal during time outs. He was jawing to others during play, not mumbling to himself. That energy established him as the leader in points and passion while Alvarado and Usher sat in street clothes. Pastner would regularly state, “Michael cannot play ‘cool’, he needs to get physical, dive for loose balls, play at a more energetic pace.” What resulted was him being a national scoring leader early on. I think since Alvarado and Usher are back, Pastner has the luxury of those two to constantly bring self-driven, genuine energy. They don’t need any hype to get amped. Pastner no longer has to “get on” Devoe about energy - when he needed someone to lift team early on - because J&J fly around. However, I think without that extra push on Devoe, it’s natural for him to gear down in his style. I can’t remember last time he dove on floor for 50/50 ball, and he was doing that early season (heck Banks did a swimmer dive twice in Louisville game alone!). I can’t tell if Devoe is happy or not. Just may be his smooth slo-mo style. But, I do believe earlier this season he looked more passionate about the game, he seemed to demonstrate more leadership and camaraderie on the court, and it resulted in outbursts of enthusiasm and superstar production. From a supporter’s perspective, I do hope all that returns for the kid, he just seemed like he personally enjoyed the game more during the opening stretch.