Game Thread - Nebraska, 12/4/2019

slugboy

Staff member
I thought the appeal made us eligible? Or am I understanding that wrong?

It postpones the post season ban while the appeal is going on.

It might have slipped Rothstein’s mind, or he could think we’ll lose, settle, or withdraw the appeal before tourney time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
Hard to watch at time last night, but I don't really think we can judge this team until we have all our pieces in-place ... Jose and Banks back in the starting line-up and the addition of Usher.
My gut feeling is, if we can hang in there for a couple of more weeks and eek out some wins, we could put it all together in January.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
It postpones the post season ban while the appeal is going on.

It might have slipped Rothstein’s mind, or he could think we’ll lose, settle, or withdraw the appeal before tourney time.

Ah ok. So if we’re not a tournament team we can withdraw and take the ban?
If the appeal goes past the season and we make the tournament could we get banned next year?
Sorry for the questions. I was fine when the appeal stuff came out and haven’t really looked into it.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
If the appeal goes past the season and we make the tournament could we get banned next year?
Sorry for the questions. I was fine when the appeal stuff came out and haven’t really looked into it.
If the appeal is not resolved by the end of the season and we eventually lose, we could get banned for next season.

MiracleWhips

Ramblin' Wreck
If the appeal is not resolved by the end of the season and we eventually lose, we could get banned for next season.
Really? I was thinking by the middle of February if it were clear that we we wouldn’t be a post season team that GT would come out and withdraw their appeal and decide to not participate in the acc tourney

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

Probably not. Possibly could have done that last year before they came back with the sanctions, but I don't think it would work now. I actually think that because we are appealing it may mean we can make the tournament this year regardless of when their ruling is. I haven't looked into it but I could very easily see them ruling in like February and making the ban apply to next year (regardless of where we stand this year)

Yup. And like I said I think it might be applying to next year regardless, although that is more of a hunch.

slugboy

Staff member

It’s a postseason ban, so we’d have to withdraw the appeal before the ACC tournament, assuming there’s not an agreement with the NCAA.

I think there’s merit to the “Penalizing Cleveland State for the UNC violations” thing people say

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
A little bit of fool's gold last night as Nebraska is really bad - but a win is a win and a win by 17 is good. The good news is that DeVoe is playing really well but the worry going forward is that we really need one or more of Bubba, Moore or Price to become a legit scorer. IMHO especially Bubba. Teams are going to start clamping down on DeVoe and someone on the wing is going to have to pick up the slack. Bubba is the obvious candidate. It isn't enough to minimize TO's - he has to become a scorer both now and when Jose gets back.

The defense is good though some of that again is the competition. But I will certainly take that. Like others, I am confused by what is going on with Banks and his time on the court. Not sure what is going on but needs to be reconciled.

Net net, the way SYR is playing right now we may well muddle through them with DeVoe simply putting the team on his back offensively - along with Ball State. Beyond that it is going to get really dicey if someone else on the wing doesn't emerge.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
maybe in % , but we sure give up a lot by flailing at and leaving feet in DEF allowing Off rebs,so they might miss but they get the reb and score a lot--it seems

We're 21st in defensive rating, and that factors in the rebounds leading to points. We're top 5 in opponents effective field goal %. If we rebounded better, we'd be almost Virginia level good on defense (albeit at a faster pace). The other area we need to improve is less fouls as we are ~115th in opponents FTA per FGA.

lauraee

Helluva Engineer
Probably not. Possibly could have done that last year before they came back with the sanctions, but I don't think it would work now. I actually think that because we are appealing it may mean we can make the tournament this year regardless of when their ruling is. I haven't looked into it but I could very easily see them ruling in like February and making the ban apply to next year (regardless of where we stand this year)

Yup. And like I said I think it might be applying to next year regardless, although that is more of a hunch.
They made sure to conclude mizzou's FB appeal b4 bowl season. Just sayin. Ncaa will do no favors for tech.