Game Thread - ND, 1/15/2020

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Will do. Anything else?

But seriously, the point is that it leads to a lot of unnecessary turnovers. That’s the thing that any/all of the people who have mentioned it point out. Does it happen because of offensive strategy, or lack thereof? When it is happening, it happens a lot, and doesn’t change. Why? Coaching? Poor on court decision making by player(s)?

Have to also factor in the fact that we go through long stretches of being completely unable to score. We have possession after possession where we literally can't penetrate the 3pt line. Can't knock the kid for trying to fill the gap for us.

No, it's not likely the best role for him but he's been successful at it to a certain degree. To me, your issue should be shipped up the chain of command but we have separate threads for that.

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
Bit of context important here. In the last 3 games we have gone to a very different scheme than the Princeton like set we ran for a lot of the first of the year. The issue we had at that time was that Banks was close to useless when he got the ball at the high post. Not a great passer and a total inability to make the 15-18 foot jumper that he was given because no one bothered to guard him out there. So we finally scrapped that idea (that worked well with Lammers who could make that 15 footer) and went to a more traditional high ball screen/influence screen for Banks and kept the ball in Jose's hands - and DeVoe to a lesser degree. The idea is for them to penetrate and score / more likely dish to a big or a shooter. The problem you are seeing is folks are collapsing because we don't have shooters outside of DeVoe. So they keep someone on him and everyone else hauls to the paint where Jose has no options.

Recognize that was really high level and a lot was left out but you get the drift. To be clear I am not a huge fan of our offensive schemes and would like to see a lot more movement and screens to get DeVoe clear for shots. But there is a logic to the current concept which puts the ball in our best playmakers hands to make plays rather than trying to force Banks to be the playmaker (ugh). But like your friend I think there is more we could do. But keep in mind that we are limited in that we don't have kids who can make shots from the perimeter. I had hoped Bubba would be that guy but so far not.
So it took our staff 14 games (almost half the season) to realize that offensive system wasn't cutting it for this group of players...

chris975d

Ramblin' Wreck
Oooohhh - a date that knows a lot about basketball. I think I am jealous :devil:

She’s been an athlete pretty much her whole life. But yeah, just thus year alone has learned all the players’ names, their tendencies, typically Pastner mistakes, etc. Pretty fun having a pretty basketball/sports watching partner! But anyway...

slugboy

Staff member
slugboy, always wanted to know, is there a time limit for Tech to be able to drop the appeal ?
I don't have any special knowledge on that. My guess is any time before the appeals committee renders a judgement, but for the post-season ban playing a game in the ACC tournament would probably be enough to move the sanction to the following year.

Here's one doc on the infraction appeals process: https://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/BBD_infract.appeals.pdf
Here's one from the NCAA: http://www.ncaa.org/governance/committees/division-i-infractions-appeals-committee
They had 12 penalties challenged last year and upheld 9 of them.

MiracleWhips

Ramblin' Wreck
Devoe and Jose are averaging 3 and 2.2 turnovers per game which isn't that high for primary ball handlers. You could probably throw Bubba's 1.8 in there as well. The reason for our high turnovers is probably attributed to using Wright and Banks more than many teams use their bigs when neither have really good hands nor good at recognizing the defense and passing. Moses is averaging 2.9 and Banks 2.4 per game. That's on the high end, but, Moses at least, makes it worthwhile. The real killer is Usher who averages 2.8 but isn't used nearly as much as Moses. He just plays too out of control at times. I'd say our scheme contributes to the turnovers but more so because we focus on going inside more to players that are more turnover prone, rather than seeking outside shots.

The real question though is how does our points allowed off turnovers look, because to me it seems we have a lot of dead ball turnovers like travels, charges, passes that go out of bounds, etc. I can't find the stats on that though but I've not really gotten the feeling this year that allowing transition baskets was a big problem. Obviously those TOs still are missed opportunities, but it's more akin to a missed shot than something that immediately leads to points for the other team.

Are we to the point where we should just insert Khalid in for usher in the starting lineup?

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Are we to the point where we should just insert Khalid in for usher in the starting lineup?

I wouldn't replace him in the starting lineup yet because Usher does do some good stuff for us in terms of energy and will make some plays. Moore really struggled for an extended time. I do think he should get some more opportunities though. Also, to be fair to Usher he is averaging "only" 1.8 the last 5 games in conference play so he has calmed down some. In general with as much as we focus on getting the ball to Moses and Banks, we're going to be on the high end of TOs as is. If we were hunting 3s more I would expect that to change, but I'm not sure if it would help us.