Game Thread - @ Louisville,1/22

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Well, another"closeee".We might think Pastner is a "horseshoes" king.
Great effort but looking at stats its obvious we are not getting nearly as much as advertised/hoped for from Usher and Bubba-- Bubba had zero pts in 18 min (but3 assts) while Usher had 7 pts and 5 rebs with 2assts with 3 TOs.(not 4 star numbers.)
Pastner has got to give more minutes to more guys.He's wearing out the team--compare the 2nd half last nite. to first half.So not only wearing down team this yr but taking away exp for next yr.

Last night, Bubba played 19 minutes and didn't attempt a FG. He's too good of a shooter not to look for his shot more often.

As someone else mentioned, I've love to see him get into the lane and shoot that pull-up. Just be more aggressive offensively.

In my opinion, the lack of a third option on the perimeter is what is hurting this team the most. Usher is non-existent, and Bubba just won't be assertive.

GTbball2016

Helluva Engineer
Remember when we lost like 12 games by less than 5 points that one year under Brian Gregory? That frustration and blood pressure spiking ultimately buried him. The irony, is that we also might be about to break through. If we can finish the year reasonably well, I think he buys himself at least the first half of next year. If we bomb the end of this year, I think ADTS might line some things up and have Pastner on super double probation going into next season. Almost every player will be back, and the key one we're losing (Banks) will be replaced by a highly ranked 7 footer. We have more than enough talent to finish 9-3 or 8-4 this year and to win 20+ next year. If we can't do that, no matter how much you like someone and want it to work, sometimes you just have to make a change to try something new.

You’re fooling yourself if you think there won’t be a mass exodus of transfers this offseason if the ban is in place

Deleted member 2897

You’re fooling yourself if you think there won’t be a mass exodus of transfers this offseason if the ban is in place

That's a bet I'd take actually. Cole, Usher, Moses, Alvarado, Parham - I think next year is all of their final eligibilities? And Devoe will be a Junior. I can't imagine being somewhere for so long and then transferring out for your last year.

GTbball2016

Helluva Engineer
That's a bet I'd take actually. Cole, Usher, Moses, Alvarado, Parham - I think next year is all of their final eligibilities? And Devoe will be a Junior. I can't imagine being somewhere for so long and then transferring out for your last year.

If the ban is in place, any of them can transfer without penalty. You don’t think Jose and Moses wouldn’t love the chance to play in the NCAA Tournament? Jose was close to going to Rutgers out of high school. He would be welcomed back there.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
If the ban is in place, any of them can transfer without penalty. You don’t think Jose and Moses wouldn’t love the chance to play in the NCAA Tournament? Jose was close to going to Rutgers out of high school. He would be welcomed back there.

Nobody knows what they think, and at this point there is nothing hinting at a mass exodus

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
I don’t know how the NCAA appeal process works or whether or not we can drop the appeal and take the post season ban this year, but if we can then that’s what we should do.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
Generally speaking, its hard to play bad and win games. So first you need to be playing good basketball. While averaging 20 turnovers and a few other things like that is not good, my eyeballs tell me this is the best quality of basketball we've seen over the last few weeks that we've seen in a long time. Its unfortunate we couldn't close a game out like Notre Dame or even last night. We've only had 1 single game in the last month where inside the last couple minutes we didn't have a chance to win it - at ranked Florida State.

11 of our last 12 games are against unranked opponents (Louisville at home 2/12 is the exception). They are all winnable games. 9-3 nets us a 19-14 final record (11-9 in ACC) going into ACCT and we'd be on the NCAAT bubble. 8-4 nets us 18-15, 10-10. I don't think the committee will take into account the first half of the season with no Alvarado or Usher. I just don't. So to me, that's our margin of error - we have to go 9-3. We haven't finished at 0.500 in ACC play in 14 years (not a typo), so there are some other things to play for too. 8-4 would get us to 10-10.
It’s been a long day, but by my math, 9-3 from here on out only gets us to 17-14. 8-4 gets us to 16-15. Both of those outcomes are unlikely in my opinion, but either would still require a deep run or a championship win in the ACC tourney to get into the NCAA tourney.

GTbball2016

Helluva Engineer
I don’t know how the NCAA appeal process works or whether or not we can drop the appeal and take the post season ban this year, but if we can then that’s what we should do.

Yep it would be the best thing they could do at this juncture if it’s still possible

Silk3

Ramblin' Wreck
I dont see Jose transferring. His girlfriend is from and works in the area and has a daughter and she is pregnant with Jose’s kid. So shes pretty settled here.