Game thread - @ Kentucky, 12/14/2019

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
I am hoping that Alvarado is back and fully healthy for the game. Also hoping that Parham can start clicking. Remember he made 10 threes in Rupp Arena last year! (LINK)

As for UK, they only have 8 healthy scholarship players right now. They have already had 6 different players miss games with injuries through the first 6 games of the season. They are still relatively young and very very thin. Not saying we will beat them, but could have a chance if Alvarado and Parham ball out (in addition to Devoe, Banks, etc. normal games).

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
UK by a ton. That’s just being honest. We needed to win at least one of the UGA and Ark games regardless of circumstance. Unfortunately it’s just another Josh Pastner team. Boring, bland, uncreative on offense. But we play great defense and *enter sickness or injury which people think only we suffer from* so *enter team names* losses are acceptable.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
UK by a ton. That’s just being honest. We needed to win at least one of the UGA and Ark games regardless of circumstance. Unfortunately it’s just another Josh Pastner team. Boring, bland, uncreative on offense. But we play great defense and *enter sickness or injury which people think only we suffer from* so *enter team names* losses are acceptable.

On the other hand...what else can we realistically do? Unfortunately, this is where I am at. No better coach is coming to GT if we fire Pastner. Therefore, best option is to hope that Pastner can finally get it together and start recruiting like Tech basketball should. We should get 2-3 four-star players per year with 1 five-star player every other year. This is not football and Atlanta is not SEC basketball country. If we cant do better with what we have, I just don't see any other solution out there.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
If you mean we can't get anyone better because we don't have the finances to commit then OK. Once we get our finances and contract in order we should be a realistic destination for a legit ACC coach. But we have to be able to commit which we cannot now without a big check stepping up

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
On the other hand...what else can we realistically do? Unfortunately, this is where I am at. No better coach is coming to GT if we fire Pastner. Therefore, best option is to hope that Pastner can finally get it together and start recruiting like Tech basketball should. We should get 2-3 four-star players per year with 1 five-star player every other year. This is not football and Atlanta is not SEC basketball country. If we cant do better with what we have, I just don't see any other solution out there.

100% agree. Settle in.

slugboy

Staff member

I think the “easiest” path is adding a young offensive minded assistant that we lose after two years. Not that the coaching marketplace is flooded with those guys, is it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Cone - Everyone knows where you stand so I don’t really expect you to cut him any slack. Our roster is already thin on playmakers, but when our top facilitator (and one of our top scorers) goes down, it is going to impact us. Did you really expect our offense to look like a well oiled machine?

You can slice it however you like, every team faces injuries, but Jose IS the most important player on our team. We could afford to lose just about anyone else (aside from James or Michael) and it wouldn’t affect us nearly as much.

There’s still plenty of time for this squad to gel and beat someone they’re not supposed to in the non-conference.

Just don’t understand why everyone is going negative five games in. Especially considering we’re not 100%.

Last edited:

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Did we play any better when Jose was in the game against Georgia? I don’t think so. That’s a crutch in my eyes at this point.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Did we play any better when Jose was in the game against Georgia? I don’t think so. That’s a crutch in my eyes at this point.

Hopefully you’re not being serious. He was playing on one leg and probably shouldn’t have played at all. That said, I’m pretty sure we led 20-12 at one point in the first half.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Sadly this is so true...

GT11

GT Athlete
Sadly this is so true...
I don’t care how boring or bland a team is if they win. I’m staying positive until the season is over. I’m not blown away by the ACC teams I’ve seen so far this year and still believe we’ll be middle of the pack at least

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
When you have your backup SG having to be your starting PG I would hope you do some things to help him - especially when he isn't big enough to penetrate routinely like you ask Jose to do.

On the other side KY is thin and generally depends on dribble drive. IF we can pound the ball inside to make them foul and use the zone to eliminate the drive, we may have a chance. Parham has to be close to 20 as a third scorer so the room for error is small.