Game Thread - Elon, 11/11/2019

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
OK, I just got back. I think my eyes are going to be hurting for a week after watching that display of basketball.

Those who are more knowledgable than I please help me understand what I just saw. From my perspective, there was just SO much bad stuff out there....
  1. apparently nobody on our team besides Devoe and Jose can get the ball inside to Banks. With Jose out, that made our ability to penetrate a zone solely dependent on one guy. To me, ACC teams are going to look at that and absolutely feast on us!
  2. 7-24 from three. That's 29%. Elon wasn't exactly defending the three point line as far as I could tell, so we can shoot 29% uncontested. That's not going to break apart many zones. Guys with reputations as good outside shooters shot blanks tonight...Parham was 1-4, Price was 1-6.
  3. Moses should never, EVER shoot a three pointer again. This year.
  4. 17 turnovers. Nasty! We looked out of control all night long on our fast breaks. We never really looked fluid. Many, many sloppy TO's.
  5. Was it my imagination, or were some guys out there trying to make the spectacular play instead of just playing solid, fundamental basketball?
All in all, after being excited by the N C State game, this was a huge let-down for me.

Please, Swarm members who know more about basketball than I do, help me regain some perspective. Tell me why there is hope after watching this performance!

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
OK, I just got back. I think my eyes are going to be hurting for a week after watching that display of basketball.

Those who are more knowledgable than I please help me understand what I just saw. From my perspective, there was just SO much bad stuff out there....
  1. apparently nobody on our team besides Devoe and Jose can get the ball inside to Banks. With Jose out, that made our ability to penetrate a zone solely dependent on one guy. To me, ACC teams are going to look at that and absolutely feast on us!
  2. 7-24 from three. That's 29%. Elon wasn't exactly defending the three point line as far as I could tell, so we can shoot 29% uncontested. That's not going to break apart many zones. Guys with reputations as good outside shooters shot blanks tonight...Parham was 1-4, Price was 1-6.
  4. 17 turnovers. Nasty! We looked out of control all night long on our fast breaks. We never really looked fluid. Many, many sloppy TO's.
  5. Was it my imagination, or were some guys out there trying to make the spectacular play instead of just playing solid, fundamental basketball?
All in all, after being excited by the N C State game, this was a huge let-down for me.

Please, Swarm members who know more about basketball than I do, help me regain some perspective. Tell me why there is hope after watching this performance!

A sloppy but comfortable win. It happens. This is what these games are for. Just dont lose them.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

The perspective is we won the game, covered the 20 point spread, and was never really in danger of losing. Don't get me wrong, we didn't play well but even with that we still did what we were supposed to do.

You can find plenty of similar games to this one by good teams. UNC vs UNCW, UVA vs JMU both from conference teams.

tsrich

Ramblin' Wreck

Playing without your PG leads to ugly play. Winning an ugly game by this much is a good sign

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

Sometimes you play to your opponents level. We were careless with the ball and careless in shot selection and execution. We overmatched them, so we won. That was the story.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
MWBATL - in short we played down to the level of competition today but still got the benefit of the massive athletic difference in the teams.

Going forward the upside is we do play good defense recognizing they missed some shots I thought they would make. Our issue is going to be scoring. Banks can't make a 15 foot jumper that he needs to make to open up cutting lanes. We don't move the ball worth a damn - really even with Jose. Going forward we really do need to learn how to move the ball and get shots - and sprinkle in set plays where we set up DeVoe or possibly Bubba for specific 3 point shots. Lots of work to do on that end.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Ugly win, but still [emoji16]

Poor shooting, just under 38%, and sloppy handling, 17 turnovers [emoji3525]

We'll need to play much better on 11/20 in Athens or it'll be an ugly loss.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
People panicking have apparently never followed spots before. We opened with a road win against a conference opponent and then won a game at home against an inferior opponent handily (even with missing our starting PG who is good for like 36 minutes a game).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
Basically what I saw tonight is our backups are 20+ points better than Elon. Parham got time to run the point and get some chemistry going with the rest of the team. You can't gather anything else from our play. If that lineup is on the court versus ACC opponents it will be a problem

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
Can’t take much from this other than we just can’t shoot very well and it doesn’t seem to matter who we play. Scored a bunch in transition and in the paint against NCST and we still couldn’t shoot tonight. Gonna be an issue getting over the 15-17 win hump we’ve been stuck in without someone being able to knock down some outside shots. Devoe is a player but we need a couple other shooters.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
People panicking have apparently never followed spots before. We opened with a road win against a conference opponent and then won a game at home against an inferior opponent handily (even with missing our starting PG who is good for like 36 minutes a game)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will have you know I bought 2 different spot removers tonight. Laundry and carpet. I know spots

techgrad

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm excited to see Asanti Price develop. He is very active on defense and defended the 3 on 1 well. His also showed his athleticism on the jam. For a reputed 3 point shooter, that is very exciting. I didn't have much expectation for him, like I didn't for Moore last year. Both might turn out to be good players!

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Without addressing each point, I’ll make it simple for you. First, we were missing Alvarado. We typically go as he goes, especially in the half court.

They were playing a zone which always make it difficult to get it into the post. Rather than making the zone move by swing passes or dribble penetration, we tried to shoot them out of it. See my point above about missing Jose. Banks was also coming off the flu and he got winded, that affected his offense.

There were plenty of bright sides, mostly on D. It was a masterful defensive performance. The second lowest opponent FG % in GT basketball history, James Banks changed every shot they took on the interior. Asanti Price double figures boards, Mike Devoe was electric, and Khalid was stuffing the stat sheet.

It was a 23 point margin of victory and you’re eyes were bleeding?