Game Thread - dook, 1/8/2020

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I'm torn about how I feel about this game.
We played hard, we were right there with Duke, nothing to point at as far as coaching, but we still lost.
If this game is what we needed to propel us on a run of 5-6 wins IAR, I'll look back at it as a turning point.
But if we sink back into the abyss, it means nothing ... hate to be pessimistic, but our 15 year rebuilding program has bled my patience.

Taken in isolation we played what should have been a far superior team to the wire and just came up a bit short. In context it hurts because it was a game we had a chance to win and we desperately need wins. As far as projecting to the future I actually think the turning point was Jose getting back. It made an immediate impact and we've only gotten better as he's knocked off the rust. Looking ahead, it's going to be hard to go on a run of 5 or 6IAR now. We go on the road @BC and get ND at home. After that though it's UVA and @UL. After that though the last 12 games only feature UL at home as a game of note. No Duke, UVA, or FSU. If we continue playing like we have the last two games I could see us winning the next 2, maybe losing to UVA (I don't like that match up for us) and @UL, but then we could win 10 or 11 of the last 12 imo, again IF we keep up how we have played the last two games.

I feel better about it because it came right after our big road win at UNC. But it will really get my hopes up if we go to BC and play at a high level and get the W.

H-Wade

Ramblin' Wreck
I would love to see us win 10 or 11 out of 12 games, but when was the last time that happened? Our Final 4 year? I'm not sure if it even happened during that season, maybe the beginning of the 04-05 year. Sounds great, but I'm not going to get my hopes up for that.

Also, that's never happened in ACC play at GT since the new century. I doubt we've ever come close.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
Can’t really fault Pastner directly for anything tonight. The Jackets played hard from the opening tip to the final buzzer, which is great to see considering some of the earlier games this season. I think the crowd and atmosphere probably helped that as well. Tech probably got more breaks than Duke in the referee department which is kind of surprising.

Duke to just too good, and too deep to let opportunities to take big leads go to waste. Not converting on Duke turnovers, having careless turnovers in a close game, and missing really good looks from 3 all hurt. Making free throws was huge in keeping Tech in the game, can’t ask for anything more than 13-15, other than maybe getting to the stripe a little more often. Missing free throws killed us in the UGAg and Ar-Kansas games, so it’s nice to see a lot of improvement.

There’s just no depth on the roster right now. When you’re asking the same 7 guys to play the overwhelming majority of minutes every game, you have to expect to be worn down late. Even late in the 1st half of games which has happened more than once, including tonight. Usher is really the only true SF that gets playing time, and he gets way out control sometimes. You can’t expect to beat bigger ACC teams when you have a lineup of Alvarado, Devoe, and Parham playing a large chunk of minutes. Especially if Devoe and Parham aren’t knocking down spot-up 3s when they get good looks. So, the only thing I can really blame Pastner for tonight is the lack of depth on the roster. I’m not pleased with another loss, but this was the most “enjoyable” of the losses this season. I think of the 8, it’s the only one that the other team won the game, and Tech didn’t beat themselves. I really do think the team has a lot of potential. I’d love to finish strong and get to .500 in ACC play. It would go a long way for next year’s excitement and development, and buy another year of toleration for Pastner.
They had 7 play 10+ minutes, 3 over 30. We had 6 play 10+, 4 over 30. I think most thought Moore would be the 7th guy and hoped that Phillips could pick up 10+ minutes to give us a little more rest for our backcourt. Hasn’t worked out that way though.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I think our next two games are huge. We looked like we belonged on the court with Duke and FSU.

If we can go out and beat BC and nd, then maybe we got something.

I think the biggest piece is Usher learning to play within the team. We've got to be able to trust him to stay in control.

OG-T

Jolly Good Fellow
We’re 7-8, doesn’t look like a 7-8 team - that part is encouraging.
We HAD many chances to build a lead in 2nd half (Devoe open 3s), and just didn’t convert, and that end of game shooting (1 for 11?), shocking we were so close til very late.
Love pick/roll sets more than that pass/dribble for 28 second weave. Sheesh. Keep ball in playmaker’s hands most of time.
Stop banging on Banks. Yes, he could dominate. Has lost some of his hunger of last year, but that confidence seems to be coming back.
THIS TEAM - the last few games - is NOT a .500 team if they play like they have been. They are def trending up, and hope it converts to wins.
MY ONE BIG CONCERN- Pastner and his management of player minutes. Running all key guys 35 mins a game is not going to work over next the next 15 games. He said it himself, he doesn’t know how Leonard Hamilton is able to manage 10/11 guys. Pastner has to figure a way to get breathers by using 9.

chris975d

Ramblin' Wreck
I think our next two games are huge. We looked like we belonged on the court with Duke and FSU.

If we can go out and beat BC and nd, then maybe we got something.

I think the biggest piece is Usher learning to play within the team. We've got to be able to trust him to stay in control.

Am I wrong in what I (and the others that sit around me at the games) see, but does that not go for Devoe as well? It seems more often than not, when he has the ball and drives, it ends up in him getting trapped and leads to a turnover, or he throws up a very wild-a**ed, off balance shot that has almost zero chance of going in? When it’s gotten to the point that the fans (at least those im usually around) let out an audible groan when he takes off toward the basket, I think there’s an issue there too.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
We HAD many chances to build a lead in 2nd half (Devoe open 3s), and just didn’t convert, and that end of game shooting (1 for 11?), shocking we were so close til very late.
Love pick/roll sets more than that pass/dribble for 28 second weave. Sheesh. Keep ball in playmaker’s hands most of time.
Stop banging on Banks. Yes, he could dominate. Has lost some of his hunger of last year, but that confidence seems to be coming back.
THIS TEAM - the last few games - is NOT a .500 team if they play like they have been. They are def trending up, and hope it converts to wins.
MY ONE BIG CONCERN- Pastner and his management of player minutes. Running all key guys 35 mins a game is not going to work over next the next 15 games. He said it himself, he doesn’t know how Leonard Hamilton is able to manage 10/11 guys. Pastner has to figure a way to get breathers by using 9.
My ideal rotation would be Alvardo and Devoe 30-35 minutes; Banks, Wright, and Parham 25-30 minutes; Usher 20-25 minutes; Cole and Moore 10-20 minutes.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

If Jose plays the entire year, we may have lost 3 games and would be sitting pretty. We could play what-if all day, but I agree with you in that this is a different team.

The thing that I am looking for here is consistency. As Iv20 pointed out, I think that how we come out and play on Saturday will tell us a lot about our season.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck

I agree.

My ideal rotation would be Alvardo and Devoe 30-35 minutes; Banks, Wright, and Parham 25-30 minutes; Usher 20-25 minutes; Cole and Moore 10-20 minutes.

Looks good to me. I would add that Usher needs to start putting up some stats on top of just showing great energy. Same goes for Moore; his production needs to improve when he is on the floor; he seems too timid with the ball (not a problem for Usher). Also, I wouldn't hesitate to put Price out there for 5-10 minutes.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I would love to see us win 10 or 11 out of 12 games, but when was the last time that happened? Our Final 4 year? I'm not sure if it even happened during that season, maybe the beginning of the 04-05 year. Sounds great, but I'm not going to get my hopes up for that.

Also, that's never happened in ACC play at GT since the new century. I doubt we've ever come close.

Last time I believe was 09-10 where we started 11-2. Obviously not against ACC teams, though. I'm not saying I predict it will happen. I'm saying that if we do continue to play like we did the last two games it's possible.

It isn't just our play though. The last 12 games we only have 1 against a team that is currently in the top 5 and that's UL at home. This is a down year in the ACC and we avoid the top teams in the back end. Even our hardest game, against UL, is at home. We have about as favorable a schedule to make a late season push as is possible imo.

H-Wade

Ramblin' Wreck
Last time I believe was 09-10 where we started 11-2. Obviously not against ACC teams, though. I'm not saying I predict it will happen. I'm saying that if we do continue to play like we did the last two games it's possible.

It isn't just our play though. The last 12 games we only have 1 against a team that is currently in the top 5 and that's UL at home. This is a down year in the ACC and we avoid the top teams in the back end. Even our hardest game, against UL, is at home. We have about as favorable a schedule to make a late season push as is possible imo.

I agree if we play like we did last night for the rest of the season we would actually have a shot. I'm just afraid that we won't be able to be consistent enough for that. And that's not an indictment on the team, I don't think many teams are actually capable of that. Unfortunately we just dug ourselves a very deep hole.

gt02

Ramblin' Wreck
I’ve been going to games for a long time, dating back to Cremins. Loudest game I can remember was GT/UNC. Going solely from memory here, but recall GT making somewhat of a run mid game. Miss a three pointer but Ish catches it and in one motion tomahawks it down. Never been louder than that moment. Ears were ringing all night.
Short answer, yes, the place rocked for full seasons, not just for Duke and Kentucky opponents.

During the Elder/Jack/etc. years, students lined up outside of the stadium for most ACC games. They ran in to the stadium to get to their seats. It wasn't just standing in line like we saw in the Tweets from last night. Students trading out places while in line during the school day so that they could get good seats, with coolers of beverages that helped them keep warm and get rowdy for warm-ups.

We can get there again. I wish our students and fans wouldn't wait for a top opponent or for us to win to support the team, even though that's not unique to GT. The crowd's energy last night gave our team a lift, opponent aside.

ramblinwreck1378

Ramblin' Wreck
People are talking about all of our losses in non conf, and while I agree there were some games we should have / could have won, I'm not sure I agree it's as dire a situation as people are making it out to be. Sure, the Ball St loss was not great, but to date, we have the #2 SOS in the country according to KenPom. Here are our losses and corresponding KP rank:

UGA: 67
Ark: 33
Cuse: 71
UK: 18
Hou: 26
FSU: 13
Duke: 1

Avg: 32.7

It's important we start winning some of these Q1 / Q2 games, but outside of Ball St, we've avoided the 'bad loss' (and Ball St isn't atrocious at #103 in KP). We're still in a good spot to go on a run, and frankly it's silly to make a final judgment on this team based on their overall record in January with the #2 SOS.

New Old Guy

Jolly Good Fellow

I love your positive attitude, but unfortunately we play Louisville twice. Home 2/12 and @UL on 1/22.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I love your positive attitude, but unfortunately we play Louisville twice. Home 2/12 and @UL on 1/22.

My quote was for the 12 games starting after the first UL run I was responding to the idea that we go on a run and saying that a run is more likely after we get beyond UL the first time because our schedule was very front loaded.

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
People are talking about all of our losses in non conf, and while I agree there were some games we should have / could have won, I'm not sure I agree it's as dire a situation as people are making it out to be. Sure, the Ball St loss was not great, but to date, we have the #2 SOS in the country according to KenPom. Here are our losses and corresponding KP rank:

UGA: 67
Ark: 33
Cuse: 71
UK: 18
Hou: 26
FSU: 13
Duke: 1

Avg: 32.7

It's important we start winning some of these Q1 / Q2 games, but outside of Ball St, we've avoided the 'bad loss' (and Ball St isn't atrocious at #103 in KP). We're still in a good spot to go on a run, and frankly it's silly to make a final judgment on this team based on their overall record in January with the #2 SOS.
This isn't a typical year in the ACC. The conference is down, so unless we beat some of the ranked teams on our schedule, we won't have many "quality" wins at all. At this point, the ACC will be doing good to get 6 teams in the Big Dance and right now we are the only team in the conference to have a record below .500. To have any shot, and I mean any, we are gonna have to go on a serious run. Anything less than 11-7 in conference, will require multiple victories in the ACC tourney.

Silk3

Ramblin' Wreck
He’s not overrated. No one is hyping Banks. Maybe preseason and early, early season when there was NBA talk. I’ll give you that, because personally I don’t think he’s got nba level skills. But, lately it’s quite the opposite. A lot of people have been pretty down on him.
I was more talking about the announcers every game talk him up like crazy.

Silk3

Ramblin' Wreck
He’s not overrated. No one is hyping Banks. Maybe preseason and early, early season when there was NBA talk. I’ll give you that, because personally I don’t think he’s got nba level skills. But, lately it’s quite the opposite. A lot of people have been pretty down on him.
And it was funny last year when he declared for draft, although it is smart to do that bc you might as well and get some feedback, but still

Silk3

Ramblin' Wreck
That's not a fair assessment. He's a really good college player. What are folks expecting to see? Freaking Bill Walton or something.
Your implying alot here. Idk if hes a really good college player. Hes a pretty good college player. And there is aton of middle ground between James Banks and college Bill Walton. Lmao cmon man!

Hes not bad I like him, but there was alot of hype on him. People were acting like he was going to develop a perimeter shot and a good post game. His offense has always been extremely limited. He can hardly make any moves without shuffling his feet and traveling.

Good on defense and altering shots though.