Game Thread - dook, 1/8/2020

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
That Duke team has humbled teams better than us so stop complaining. It's not like they had an off night like UNC seemed to this past weekend either. I'm all on board complaining when we lose to ball state and I'm not one for moral victories, but not this game. Our coach and players did fine we just didn't have the depth needed. One more player might have given us a chance. If Usher could control his energy he'd be the best player on the court for us and we needed him tonight. Starting cold from 3 and the zone leaving our back door open all night did us in. Missed layups at the end was us being tired against fresh Duke legs
If we could stay out of foul trouble, could play man-to-man and avoid the back door pass.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
Nice to have a home court again. I hope that continues./

This. It was awesome in McCamish tonight. A lot of dookies, but not as bad as it has been for Duke and other visitors the past few years, and our fans absolutely brought it tonight. It was a lot of fun being there tonight. We absolutely had home court advantage. I think it really rattled Duke at times. We played great and could have won it, but we didn’t make the plays in the last 4-5 minutes.

ChasonBaller

on Pastner Polo watch
Loved the energy and passion tonight. Fought hard all game. Jones was clutch down the stretch, while we didnt run an offense....thats for a different time because I am only going to talk about the positives. JAMES BANKS showed up! Active, playing hard, and aware! Missed a couple few easy dunks and lay up opportunities but was a great step in the right direction. This *should be the floor of his play.

Also, S/O Bubba and the student section. He was the smallest one out there but was playing tight defense on Tre Jones and was flying in for boards over Vernon Carey and James Banks. Wish we gave him more attempts from deep though.

The students brought the noise and I like to think I helped the cause in my Grayson Allen Sucks shirt lol. No moral victories but we were right in there. Same ole' same ole'...we just need better execution down the stretch.

I was hoping to see more P n R with Jose going downhill but as I said before...thats for a different time.
Lets keep this energy going to the next game!

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
I am not seeing all the Pastner fan boys predictions coming true... This is the same tune as Coach Gregory!

We need a new coach...

Truth is this was probably a much closer game than we have averaged vs Puke for the last 39 years.

We should have moved on instead of taking CBC back after he left but -

We get Hewitt-
Fire Hewitt-
We get Gregory -
Fire Gregory-
We get Pastner-

Fire Pastner we get?

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
That was the “Thiller Dome” tonight!!
960x0.jpg

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Can’t really fault Pastner directly for anything tonight. The Jackets played hard from the opening tip to the final buzzer, which is great to see considering some of the earlier games this season. I think the crowd and atmosphere probably helped that as well. Tech probably got more breaks than Duke in the referee department which is kind of surprising.

Duke to just too good, and too deep to let opportunities to take big leads go to waste. Not converting on Duke turnovers, having careless turnovers in a close game, and missing really good looks from 3 all hurt. Making free throws was huge in keeping Tech in the game, can’t ask for anything more than 13-15, other than maybe getting to the stripe a little more often. Missing free throws killed us in the UGAg and Ar-Kansas games, so it’s nice to see a lot of improvement.

There’s just no depth on the roster right now. When you’re asking the same 7 guys to play the overwhelming majority of minutes every game, you have to expect to be worn down late. Even late in the 1st half of games which has happened more than once, including tonight. Usher is really the only true SF that gets playing time, and he gets way out control sometimes. You can’t expect to beat bigger ACC teams when you have a lineup of Alvarado, Devoe, and Parham playing a large chunk of minutes. Especially if Devoe and Parham aren’t knocking down spot-up 3s when they get good looks. So, the only thing I can really blame Pastner for tonight is the lack of depth on the roster. I’m not pleased with another loss, but this was the most “enjoyable” of the losses this season. I think of the 8, it’s the only one that the other team won the game, and Tech didn’t beat themselves. I really do think the team has a lot of potential. I’d love to finish strong and get to .500 in ACC play. It would go a long way for next year’s excitement and development, and buy another year of toleration for Pastner.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Fun game to watch...although the ending wasn't what we all wanted. We're one of those teams...we can play with anyone, but we can also lose to anyone.

LOVED this version of Banks. This is the Banks we were all hoping to see this season, the guy that took another step up from last season. Now he needs to be consistent with this type of game.

This team is just different when Alvarado is playing. Tyus Jones tried to intimidate Alvarado a few times, and Alvarado wasn't having any of it. You're not going to intimidate a NY PG. I thought Alvarado was just as good as Jones on this night.

Usher was probably the only GT player that was close to the same level as Cassius Stanley in terms of athleticism and explosiveness...but Stanley played under control and he finished. When Usher starts finishing he could be a force. His first step, quickness, and athleticism is evident...he's just herky jerky in terms of wanting to make something happen. Gotta finish.

Moses was up and down this game, and foul trouble probably played a big role. Still gave us 12pt/10reb tonight.

Felt like Devoe was pressing a bit which caused him to take some bad shots and head scratching turnovers.

Outside of Usher, each of our starters gave us double digit production tonight. We won't lose many games if that continues. We just have to make better shot selection, and it feels like this has been on repeat all season, but we HAVE TO cut down on the turnovers. Our two lead guards can't have the most turnovers. Devoe and Alvarado combined for 8 turnovers versus just 9 assists. Can't expect to win if they keep doing that.

A lot of our guys had tunnel vision tonight. Instead of working the ball they were just looking for their own shots...and they forced the issue too many times when they could have just reset the offense or found an open man.

For the first time in a while, free throws didn't haunt us. We actuall shot almost 87% on 15 attempts...just 2 misses.

Overall, disappointed to lose when we could have easily won...for stretches we looked VERY VERY good. We are easily a tournament team if we play smart and cut down on the turnovers. When we focused and played disciplined, we were able to run Duke down, and not many teams in college basketball can say that.

Hopefully we can continue to play at a high level and cut down of dumb shots and turnovers. Definitely a pleasure to watch this team when we are playing well.

Deleted member 2897

Can’t blame the coach on this game. Players were put in the spots to score. The coaches can’t score for them.

yeah I mean coach K is the Lance Armstrong of college football. They have the best players money can buy. They are number two in the entire country. And we put up at three to try and take the lead with about two minutes left. Not much else you can ask for.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
We just have to make better shot selection, and it feels like this has been on repeat all season, but we HAVE TO cut down on the turnovers. Our two lead guards can't have the most turnovers.
We had pretty decent shot selection for most of the game. Duke makes getting good shots very difficult. I was disappointed that several shots at rim did not fall. And we got anxious in the last few minutes watching the clock leak away the time.

To your second point, our guards are going to be the ones making turnovers in a game like this. Contrary to the UNC game, Jones and Stanley and O'Connell were denying the entry pass. Wright and Banks need to be set up to score as neither can create his own opportunities. Not only are they good, Duke is a smart basketball team.

I expected us to lose and we came pretty damn close to beating these guys. You have to be impressed by that. They beat BC by 40 and Miami by 33. The final margin was nine, but this was 3-4 point game.

Yoda

Helluva Engineer
I'll be the first to admit I don't go to a ton of b ball games, but I don't remember our place rocking like it was last night in a long time. The atmosphere was electric. The Thriller Dome was trying to rise from the ashes. Was it that way during the Jarrett Jack years or do you have to go back to the days of Cremins for a similar buzz in atmosphere?

ramblinwreck1378

Ramblin' Wreck
Really like the effort the past few games - intensity has been there. Offense struggled at times, but when you think about that fact that Usher & Devoe were 3/14 for 12 points (Usher had 0) with 5 assists and 5 TO's, it's pretty incredible we were even in this game. The big guys kept us in it, both on offense and defense - did they miss some looks / easy buckets? Yea, but when you average 35 minutes between the two, that's going to happen. Overall, I was very pleased with their effort and Bubba's - he deserves some credit for being effective (50% from the floor, 2/3 from 3, and 6 rebounds in 25 minutes).

The only thing I worry about now is a let down on Saturday. Road, evening game at sleepy BC - we have to be ready to play and beat them up early and often. Really, the way I see it, the next three games are almost must-wins for us if we want a postseason in our future. I think it's doable, but we have to continue to play as hard as we did tonight.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
I'll be the first to admit I don't go to a ton of b ball games, but I don't remember our place rocking like it was last night in a long time. The atmosphere was electric. The Thriller Dome was trying to rise from the ashes. Was it that way during the Jarrett Jack years or do you have to go back to the days of Cremins for a similar buzz in atmosphere?

Ive been to the vast majority of home games since the thriller dome reopened as McCamish Pavillion which was 7 seasons or so ago, and I don’t think there has been another game where it was as loud for as long as it was last night. Even during halftime, I could barely have a conversation with the guy sitting right next to me. It was pretty great in there last night. Even coach k acknowledged the crowd and the atmosphere more than once in his post game presser.

It’s just too bad our guys couldn’t pull out the W. That could have been a game-changer, not only for this team, but for the fan base and for the thriller dome setting going forward into the next few games against ND, UVA, etc.

One more point re: the thriller dome last night... even in a loss, that atmosphere had to have made a positive impression on the high profile recruits that were reportedly in attendance. Surely Stegeman can’t compete with that.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Loved the energy and passion tonight. Fought hard all game. Jones was clutch down the stretch, while we didnt run an offense....thats for a different time because I am only going to talk about the positives. JAMES BANKS showed up! Active, playing hard, and aware! Missed a couple few easy dunks and lay up opportunities but was a great step in the right direction. This *should be the floor of his play.

Also, S/O Bubba and the student section. He was the smallest one out there but was playing tight defense on Tre Jones and was flying in for boards over Vernon Carey and James Banks. Wish we gave him more attempts from deep though.

The students brought the noise and I like to think I helped the cause in my Grayson Allen Sucks shirt lol. No moral victories but we were right in there. Same ole' same ole'...we just need better execution down the stretch.

I was hoping to see more P n R with Jose going downhill but as I said before...thats for a different time.
Lets keep this energy going to the next game!

+1 on "we didn't run an offense" but beyond that - like you - happy with the energy and passion of the game last night. Defense was really good except for the last 10 min of the first half and that really was live ball turnovers more than the defense. Banks in particular changed the game on that side of the ball.

I will admit that Jose was able to do a lot more against Tre Jones than I ever thought he would. He generally was able to penetrate the paint with only a token high screen or really more often by refusing the screen and beating him. Kudos to him - and to some degree DeVoe who was more active penetrating from the top than I have seen him in the past. But there has to be more to an offense than that.

FWIW I thought Moses was a real mismatch for Duke in the first half. He had 2 or 3 times where he simply took his man and went over him. The issue became the lane was just clogged for most of the night and he got very few 1 on 1 opportunities. Same with Banks - though he didn't recognize a few times that he did have a chance to just go rim run.

Bottom line I will take the energy and passion they played with and be a lot happier than earlier this year. Play the way they did consistently and we could be around 500 in the ACC - maybe a bit more. But until we get a more consistent ball movement and hopefully the a more consistent 3 point game from moving the ball it is going to be tough.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
We rocked in that Final Four season with JJ. Don’t let anyone tell you differently. I went to several of the road games, and the Tech people around me were loud and not afraid to cheer loudly. Winning brings out the fever pitch. The home games were exciting, even the close losses, the games right before Christmas were well attended.

chris975d

Ramblin' Wreck
Ive been to the vast majority of home games since the thriller dome reopened as McCamish Pavillion which was 7 seasons or so ago, and I don’t think there has been another game where it was as loud for as long as it was last night. Even during halftime, I could barely have a conversation with the guy sitting right next to me. It was pretty great in there last night. Even coach k acknowledged the crowd and the atmosphere more than once in his post game presser.

It’s just too bad our guys couldn’t pull out the W. That could have been a game-changer, not only for this team, but for the fan base and for the thriller dome setting going forward into the next few games against ND, UVA, etc.

One more point re: the thriller dome last night... even in a loss, that atmosphere had to have made a positive impression on the high profile recruits that were reportedly in attendance. Surely Stegeman can’t compete with that.

I can actually speak on the Stegeman comparison directly. I was at the UGA/Kentucky game the night before to see UGA get beat, and the Duke game last night...two 9:00 games back to back watching royal blue, highly ranked teams. The thriller dome was unlike any time I’ve seen in the last few years last night, but Stegeman is a different animal. That place was insane...yelling the entire night, non stop. Students were in their seats almost 2 hours before the game. It was the same for the UGA/GT basketball game too. I was taking it all in, wishing we could bring that game day/night experience to GT. It makes me hate UGA even more to see that level of excitement and involvement from their fans for a basketball program that has basically been pure crap forever. I have only been to the GT and Kentucky games at uga, which were absolutely packed with UGA fans, but my friends that go to more say they are almost always at capacity. Compared with our (GT) home games where last night was the first game this year I’ve seen us at more than 50% capacity. Kentucky fans were completely drowned out...never heard or saw them...you couldn’t over the rabid uga fans constantly yelling. Last night with duke, there were a couple of times they were able to get noticeably loud.