Game Day

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
actually its that bad. And PJ's comments at half said it. The only side who has played ok is sp teams.

This either could be a really LONG year and Paul is gone, or a VERY young team that had first half gitters. We will know in the 2nd half. If tech turns it on and pounds em its the latter. If this becomes a dog fight I fear it may be the former.

So, 1st half jitters? Or long year (just D or both O and D)?

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Just finished watching the game:
Offense
1) The best flow of the option I have seen in awhile
2) Saw about 3-4 missed reads from JT but overall I would give him B+ on his performance today.
3) The OL wasn't as dominate as I would've liked to see, but I was pleased with pass pro. Expect opposing defenses to start blitzing LBs off the corner since we doing more rollouts to compensate for JT height
4) Smelter is a beast!

Defense
1) Thought our DL did ok. Still in need of a pass rush
2) LB/DB run support was horrible today. Every DB i saw today who tried to make a tackle could told you how many ants were crawling on the field. Heads are constantly down and not tackling thru the man. On the 92yd TD, to Wofford credit made a great combo block up to Nealy, but IJ, who was the box safety, did not get over top on the run to make the tackle. To make matters worse, Golden flew to the alley immediately instead of slow playing, leaving the middle wide open
3) Our Vets did not set tone today and show the new guys on the field how things should be done.

Last edited:

ramblinvak

Ramblin' Wreck
Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I thought you do not want to really bring a pass rush against a heavy run based team like Wofford because over pursuit could lead to big plays being given up. Thats why assignment is key and sticking with your man. I also thought we had a very vanilla defensive plan as to not give too much up to future opponents. I am interested to see how our D does against a more traditional offense like Tulane before I make any true judgements on the defense for this season.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I thought you do not want to really bring a pass rush against a heavy run based team like Wofford because over pursuit could lead to big plays being given up. Thats why assignment is key and sticking with your man. I also thought we had a very vanilla defensive plan as to not give too much up to future opponents. I am interested to see how our D does against a more traditional offense like Tulane before I make any true judgements on the defense for this season.

Yeah it was vanilla, but not well executed especially in the back 7

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
The other option is it is still simply too early to tell. We should be even trying to call how the season, defense or offense will be after one game. If so South Carolina should shut down their season now, Virginia should assume that barring a couple of defensive touchdowns they should be ranked higher than UCLA (which won by 8) etc. Wofford has often been a tough win and JT etc showed some promising flashes but to make any prognostications is simply a swag at this point.

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
It is important to note that we only had 4 possessions in the second half (excluding the take a knee, final possession) and scored 4 touchdowns. Two punts all game, both in the first half. For a rs soph quarterback starting his first game, it is hard for me to be hyper critical of his performance.

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
This either could be a really LONG year and Paul is gone, or a VERY young team that had first half gitters. We will know in the 2nd half. If tech turns it on and pounds em its the latter. If this becomes a dog fight I fear it may be the former.
How's this post look now?

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
It's like I told the wife, we beat Elon by 70 last year and that didn't really mean squat at the end of the year.

Get the win, watch the tape and try to fix the things that can be fixed.