Game Day Plans or Not Watching at All?

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
What I mean by this is that our r fans need to be engaged, happy or sad. Indifference isn’t fandom.
I think there are reasons that people are feeling indifferent that aren't all simply about the results. I still go to the games and I will still donate to GTAA. However, I am not nearly as invested as I was before. I used to check this forum several times every day even in the off season. This year there were three or four weeks that I didn't even load the page. I used to listen to the coaches radio show every week. I am not even sure when it airs now.(maybe on Wed.) I used to watch all of the coaches/players interviews. I do not now. I used to watch the weekly coach's TV show. I don't even know if they are still doing that. I basically go to games on Saturdays, and that is it. (And the last couple of weeks I have spent more time on this forum.) I no longer feel as though I am part of the program. I realize that simply being a small donor and season ticket holder doesn't really make me a part of the program, but I felt as though I was part of the larger group before. Now I feel like an outsider looking in. From a philosophical perspective: The GTAA reached out to me with the AI2020 initiative while the football program has been telling me to shut up and wait for the process to work. CGC spent a lot of time telling me that he isn't concerned about what people like me think and I have responded by not listening to him.

Winning will probably help get people back into the stands, but I am not sure what it will take to get people like me to pay attention to what CGC is saying since I am not listening to what he says.

You are correct that if people want better coaches and/or better assistants that boycotting tickets and donations does not help that cause. People should still go to the games and donate money while making their opinions known to the GTAA. I just don't think that telling people who give up to never come back is a good choice of wording. IF a very large number of people leave and never come back, then GT football won't be able to survive.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I think there are reasons that people are feeling indifferent that aren't all simply about the results. I still go to the games and I will still donate to GTAA. However, I am not nearly as invested as I was before. I used to check this forum several times every day even in the off season. This year there were three or four weeks that I didn't even load the page. I used to listen to the coaches radio show every week. I am not even sure when it airs now.(maybe on Wed.) I used to watch all of the coaches/players interviews. I do not now. I used to watch the weekly coach's TV show. I don't even know if they are still doing that. I basically go to games on Saturdays, and that is it. (And the last couple of weeks I have spent more time on this forum.) I no longer feel as though I am part of the program. I realize that simply being a small donor and season ticket holder doesn't really make me a part of the program, but I felt as though I was part of the larger group before. Now I feel like an outsider looking in. From a philosophical perspective: The GTAA reached out to me with the AI2020 initiative while the football program has been telling me to shut up and wait for the process to work. CGC spent a lot of time telling me that he isn't concerned about what people like me think and I have responded by not listening to him.

Winning will probably help get people back into the stands, but I am not sure what it will take to get people like me to pay attention to what CGC is saying since I am not listening to what he says.

You are correct that if people want better coaches and/or better assistants that boycotting tickets and donations does not help that cause. People should still go to the games and donate money while making their opinions known to the GTAA. I just don't think that telling people who give up to never come back is a good choice of wording. IF a very large number of people leave and never come back, then GT football won't be able to survive.
My original post was maybe poorly worded. I think our fans piss and moan too much; I've commented several times about that before. So, maybe that has colored people's interpretation of what I wrote. There were really two disparate thoughts going on in my post:

1) our fans suck (just my opinion, and definitely about all of them)

and totally differently,

2) We don't need fans like that, i.e. those that are disengaged and not interested.

The first comment is about the fans, the second is a commentary about what will damage the program. It's not really about the fans, more so about the prevalence of an attitude we need to avoid.

More discussion about how I really feel after the game tomorrow (season will be over) and after any potential announcements.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I’m sure this was a typo, but I think it was a Freudian slip since you pretty much call everyone here a ****ty fan 🤣
LOL! Absolutely a slip. funny though.

No, I think the vast majority of those on here are not lousy or ****ty fans. I have an issue with trashing your team during the season. Coaches are part of the team. I think that should be reserved for after the season is over. Those that have been trashing the team since before we started the season or from the very beginning are not good fans. But, as I said (and others have too) that's just my opinion.

Bonaire41

Jolly Good Fellow
Once again, our fans suck. We don’t need fans like this. this attitude only hurts the program.
yes it does. Their not fans fans there just bandwagons fans. We certainly want miss them. We need true fans. A true fan is there no matter what. Win or lose. I hate fans like that with a passion. Who ever thinks like that y’all can kiss my ***!!!

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
LOL! Absolutely a slip. funny though.

No, I think the vast majority of those on here are not lousy or ****ty fans. I have an issue with trashing your team during the season. Coaches are part of the team. I think that should be reserved for after the season is over. Those that have been trashing the team since before we started the season or from the very beginning are not good fans. But, as I said (and others have too) that's just my opinion.

Even though we do not agree on this, I do enjoy your optimism even if I poke at it in jest. I do agree that it seems weird for a fan to not at least try to watch/listen to the game, but if it’s ugly early, I don’t blame people for turning it off.

chris975d

Ramblin' Wreck
Not true. Call your ticket rep. Email the GTAA. There are lots of other ways to let your opinion be known. The fact is that the coaches salaries are guaranteed for at least this year, and in the case of Collins and Key, for next year and beyond. When you quit buying tickets, and money gets tight, the coaches are still contractually required to get paid. The people that suffer are the auxiliary staff and the athletes. The "good" you think you are doing isn't hurting the intended people. Contracts shield them from your economic revenge.

BTW, the big donors and the GTAA are well aware of the fan bases feelings right now. TStan had to sit in the BC game and listen to the boos himself.
I’ve done all of these things, several times actually. At this point to not let it affect me I just have to disconnect from the horror show altogether. Focus on basketball and other areas of life that I do enjoy.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
yes it does. Their not fans fans there just bandwagons fans. We certainly want miss them. We need true fans. A true fan is there no matter what. Win or lose. I hate fans like that with a passion. Who ever thinks like that y’all can kiss my ***!!!
You are completely out of touch with reality. The chart on another thread shows a drop in attendance of almost 15,000 since CGC took over and it will be even worse next year.

Up to 20,000 people kissing your A## will build up a lot of calluses and probably make it hard to sit.

When almost half the fans are voting with their wallets over a 4 year period you have to pay attention, NOT have a flippant attitude.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
No, our coaching staff sucks. But yet some of you guys want to keep supporting mediocrity with ticket dollars. Literally our only way to “vote” is with our dollars, yet we are “bad fans” by using our only resource to show our displeasure? Whatever…keep funding this train wreck if you want to.
This coaching staff is not even mediocre. That would imply average. They are well below average.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Re: spelling. Are you referring to "Dwags" or "Georgie?"
Perhaps referring to professor Jan Kemp at uga who was fired and then fought a legal battle to get reinstated because she outed football players who graduated with a fourth grade level of reading and comprehension.

Georgia probably can find enough quality players now without dumbing down but we should never let them forget that they once pretended to a university just so they could win a football game.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
My original post was maybe poorly worded. I think our fans piss and moan too much; I've commented several times about that before. So, maybe that has colored people's interpretation of what I wrote. There were really two disparate thoughts going on in my post:

1) our fans suck (just my opinion, and definitely about all of them)

and totally differently,

2) We don't need fans like that, i.e. those that are disengaged and not interested.

The first comment is about the fans, the second is a commentary about what will damage the program. It's not really about the fans, more so about the prevalence of an attitude we need to avoid.

More discussion about how I really feel after the game tomorrow (season will be over) and after any potential announcements.
I have thought Tech fans piss and moan too much also. I have thought that with every coach we have had going back to Bud Carson.

Until now. The level of pissing and moaning this year feels calibrated just about right. 😊

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Perhaps referring to professor Jan Kemp at uga who was fired and then fought a legal battle to get reinstated because she outed football players who graduated with a fourth grade level of reading and comprehension.

Georgia probably can find enough quality players now without dumbing down but we should never let them forget that they once pretended to a university just so they could win a football game.
Actually she was in their remedial education department which was set up to get the academically challenged football players into school. They went two years and then moved into the regular university classes. She had failed one of the better players (maybe more) and he would not qualify to play. She was told to change the F but she refused. The head of the department changed the grade. I think i remember she got fired but she went public and sued the university. A lot of dirt came out during the trial about the so called remedial program. One of the quotes from a university administrator or maybe a coach was something on the order of " well we might not make a professional out of them but they could at least work for the sanitation department."

And we are supposed to compete with that. It probably isn't much different now but they hide it better.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Well if I have to kiss it I hope you are a female. Look I have had season tickets for 40 years if that makes me a bandwagon fan cause I want a new coach so be it.
Fact the best we have done in season ticket sales may be a little over 30,000 we need fans bandwagon or not.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Unfortunately I have been hearing plenty of this on here and in person. I want people to support the program. However, I won't take the attitude that "we don't need fans like this", because I believe there is a strong possibility that season ticket sales next year will be extremely low. If the team is better next year, or if coaching changes are made after next year we will need those people to come back. We will need all the fans we can get.

I am still planning to get season tickets next year. I am still planning to donate to the GTAA.
+1

Bonaire41

Jolly Good Fellow
Well if I have to kiss it I hope you are a female. Look I have had season tickets for 40 years if that makes me a bandwagon fan cause I want a new coach so be it.
Fact the best we have done in season ticket sales may be a little over 30,000 we need fans bandwagon or not.
I just want my team that I loved since I was 9 to have the support that I see other teams have but I’ve realizing that it will never happen. It sucks it really ****ing sucks. We the fans are the death of the athletes department. Without our support they have no shot. Hope the jackets nation know that. If we want them to do better then we need to do better. Don’t blame them if you don’t want to blame yourself. It starts with us. Let’s do better for Georgia Tech.