Game Day - Clemson Edit v1.24

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
This team just doesn't shoot the ball well enough to beat ACC teams. It is painful to watch so many missed but open shots. I don't know what the stats are for tonight but it had to have been well under 30% from 3pt arc. Pastner is not responsible for missed shots but he is responsible for who he recruits and he has failed with this team. He has changed his offense to more attempts to penetrate and some of his high post stuff but nothing is working if they can't score. It has to be frustrating for him as well as the team. They are missing shots they probably make in practice. It sure is hard to watch as a fan.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
I get NIL is a reason we can’t get anyone to come but the fact he’s proven he can’t run an offense and he really comes off seriously weird as hell probably turns kids off too. His awkward **** was extreme during the 20-21 run but now his post game comments and weekly pressers are off the rails. If I think the dude is cring-y and weird *** hell, I’m sure most 17-18 year old HS kids think the same.

ole ball coach

Georgia Tech Fan
I said it earlier in the year, when you are not very athletic (other than Smith) and cannot shoot, it's not a formula for success. We have obviously confirmed my thought process was correct.
I like CJP, think he is a good man but it's time to try someone/something different. We cannot continue to have zero home court advantage, we must get some excitement back in the Thrillerdome.
Winning cures a lot of ills. We've done it in the past, it can happen again.
THWG

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Again, our shooting is middle-school bad in a game we were not likely to win either way. Guys that we know are decent shooters are simply not making shots. And our offense is not designed to activate an alternative to firing away from downtown. Ugh!

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Again, our shooting is middle-school bad in a game we were not likely to win either way. Guys that we know are decent shooters are simply not making shots. And our offense is not designed to activate an alternative to firing away from downtown. Ugh!

Most painful thing is I don't see a marked difference in the talent level of the two teams that played last night. Depth, yes. But there's no reason it should've been so clearly one-sided.

No matter what the score was, there wasn't a second Clem was in jeopardy of losing.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
I'm a Middle School coach, and I can honestly tell you that most middle school teams actually shoot better.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Most painful thing is I don't see a marked difference in the talent level of the two teams that played last night. Depth, yes. But there's no reason it should've been so clearly one-sided.

No matter what the score was, there wasn't a second Clem was in jeopardy of losing.
Agree. The 12-0 start was such a downer. We cut the lead to five and appeared to be getting on track, then the bottom fell out.

I am with you on our talent level, but we do not look like we know what's going on. In the past our defense has covered for problems on offense, but we don't have a good defense this year.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

There was a very marked difference in front court talent last night.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
There was a very marked difference in front court talent last night.
I agree, but this has been more or less true in almost every game this year. We knew from the preseason that our fortunes would ride with how well Howard and Franklin could play (on defense especially). On their best nights they have been about average. Our two transfers, Terry & Franklin, have neither been ACC level players. We needed both to be better than they have shown. Howard is no better or worse this year than last.

My hope is that Moore will become a decent player, but we need help in the frontcourt badly.

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
This was literally the first game this season I turned off before it was over. I'll suffer through defeats and even blowouts, it comes with being a GT fan, but this is just unwatchable. It can't be that our only play is to have a guard dribble around occasionally penetrating 15 feet only to pull it back, ask for a pick that fouls more often than rolls and try unsuccessfully driving again. Next give the ball to the center at the top of the key, have him dribble a few times while the other 4 players avoid him like he has leprosy and then he picks up his dribble 20 feet from the basket. Finally either turn the ball over, have a shot clock violation, or pass it to someone who takes a well guarded 17 foot jumpshot. This all happens with 3-4 players mostly standing around.

I'm more baffled than mad about this, I'd love to see what's actually supposed to be run vs what's happening on the court. It can't be that every team has the blueprint on how to stop every play we run. This isn't the offense Pastner brought to Tech and I know he's in a tough spot because at some point people have to make shots and on this team it could be anybody or nobody. We just need something to lean on when those shots aren't falling. We were spoiled when the plan for that situation was "give the ball to Jose". I feel like us not having a real inside threat makes it easier for teams to step out and cut off Smith's dribble

57jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Dribble, dribble, dribble, don't pass, take a contested shot.... rinse, repeat. Pitiful .. Princeton offense is offensive. Try something else .

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
On one possession last night we had smith standing completely immobile in one corner 3 spot and Moore standing completely immobile in the other corner 3 spot. A guy shooting about 20% from 3 and a guy who has made (3) 3’s all season. Of course neither one of them had a defender within 10-15 feet of them because… why would you?