Game 8 Media Pittsburgh vs. Georgia Tech #PITTvsGT

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
I guess Mullen runs the same garbage too. You guys have no clue what yall are talking about

giphy.gif

giphy.gif
It was a nice read by Simms on the blitz and throwing to the receiver covered by a LB. And by Trask throwing to the open receiver on the rub crossing route.

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
We all know CGC is going to be vanilla and the coordinators will go into more detail about the offense and defense. That is the way he runs things. If you don't like it don't watch. No since in complaining. We have been getting the same thing for 2 years.

Scubapro

Banned
You melting like this doesn’t give your argument any more legitimacy

Should we discredit Bud Foster for be only DC at VT for 20yrs? Why didn’t a factory didn’t come after him?
From what I understand many programs considered him but he either didn't want to leave or he wasn't head coaching material.
Also, he actually had success....Patenaude has not. He has been coaching for 20+ years with little success. He set school records at CC. When they were looking for a head coach...why didn't they bring him back into the fold?
Look...you floated a play to show they are running the same offense. In what universe does Dan average less than 24 points a game? Do you honestly think Tebow, Prescott and Alex Smith would have accomplished the same results under Patenaude's coaching?

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
We shall see...how many quarters have we been shut out? How many points are we averaging? This on on CDP...I am still waiting on you to show me clips of CDP at CC that shows his genius. There is a big reason no one wanted to hire him as an OC.
One play does not make an offense. This guy was a position coach at garbage schools.
When does he get held accountable? When we have a roster of 5 star players?
How many quarters have we been in FG range and been shut out due to inability or unwillingness to kick a FG? That is not an OC problem and the issue dates back as far as @ Temple last year.

I don't honestly know the answer to the question. But I do know that points per game are affected by more than what's within the OC's control... ST, field position, players, etc.

Scubapro

Banned
How many quarters have we been in FG range and been shut out due to inability or unwillingness to kick a FG? That is not an OC problem and the issue dates back as far as @ Temple last year.

I don't honestly know the answer to the question. But I do know that points per game are affected by more than what's within the OC's control... ST, field position, players, etc.
Wow...ok then. Our scoring problems are largely the fault of our field goal kicking.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I know the CGC fanboys don't like it, and if I was one, I would not like it either. Most of us "old fogeys" have seen this story before, and we believe it is not just difficult to watch now, but it will continue to be difficult to watch, even if he is able to recruit at a top 20-30 pace. I know, "you don't know that, you are just being negative, give it a chance". I realize that is how you "feel", but this isn't going to end well - initially, this was based on his rah,rah personality traits, but now, many of us have seen the "deer in the headlights" and the defensiveness to a very timid question from reporters. If anything, I believe this will become more difficult to watch in the coming years. Will he have a year where we get to 7 wins? Maybe, because we are in the coastal of the ACC. But, if it happens, I believe that is a ceiling, unfortunately.

It would probably be nice of us old timers to sit back and watch it all unfold without commenting with our opinion, but as a GT fan/alum, I kind of know that is not possible with our crowd.

NOTE: I have no idea if CPJ would have done better over time - of course, it would have been better the last 2 years, but I agree with the Collins fanboys that recruiting was getting more and more difficult for him, and without some extra resources, I am not sure that would have changed much. It is pretty impressive what he could do with just a few game changers though, like Justin and Shaq.

zzzboy25

Georgia Tech Fan
So why do you keep watching?
Entertainment...I'm evaluated at work, players are evaluated everyday. I'm profiled leaving home, so I make a simple comment and I'm ostracized. This world is becoming to sensitive. Ok I stop watching and guess sit in a hole..right?

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Wow...ok then. Our scoring problems are largely the fault of our field goal kicking.
That's not what I said and apologies if my post showed a lack of appreciation for your opinion. I agree our OC has a hand in ppg outcomes. But your posts are often at one end of the extreme - "only the OC" - and I'm not sure if you believe that or if it's just the way folks generally interpret your posts.

To restate my prior post in context, I think you are linking the OC to data that is influenced by a number of things entirely outside of the OC's control. To what degree those external factors matter is the point I'm making. If you don't care to acknowledge that, it's fine, but it suggests to me you don't want to have a conversation, which is what I was intending to do with my prior reply.

I really would like to see stats that show our 4th down attempts by field position + down and distance. I remember twice being in FG range on 4th down against Temple and we were forced to go for it due to kicking issues. That's aside from our QB fumbling the ball on the goal line, another time on the plus side of the field, etc. Same thing has happened a number of times this year, whether we chose to kick or not. I don't see how attributing "shut out quarters" or total ppg to the OC makes sense in those scenarios, particularly 4th down FG-range situations.

zzzboy25

Georgia Tech Fan
Entertainment...I'm evaluated at work, players are evaluated everyday. I'm profiled leaving home, so I make a simple comment and I'm ostracized. This world is becoming to sensitive. Ok I stop watching and guess sit in a hole..right?
So I guess he's above reproach.... He' Great

Deleted member 2897

So I guess he's above reproach.... He' Great
You joined not long ago, and literally every single solitary post is nothing but negativity. Considering your son has moved on to another school, I’m just wondering if this places gives you so much consternation, why stick around? What good do you get out of it? Just wondering.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I know the CGC fanboys don't like it, and if I was one, I would not like it either. Most of us "old fogeys" have seen this story before, and we believe it is not just difficult to watch now, but it will continue to be difficult to watch, even if he is able to recruit at a top 20-30 pace. I know, "you don't know that, you are just being negative, give it a chance". I realize that is how you "feel", but this isn't going to end well - initially, this was based on his rah,rah personality traits, but now, many of us have seen the "deer in the headlights" and the defensiveness to a very timid question from reporters. If anything, I believe this will become more difficult to watch in the coming years. Will he have a year where we get to 7 wins? Maybe, because we are in the coastal of the ACC. But, if it happens, I believe that is a ceiling, unfortunately.

It would probably be nice of us old timers to sit back and watch it all unfold without commenting with our opinion, but as a GT fan/alum, I kind of know that is not possible with our crowd.

NOTE: I have no idea if CPJ would have done better over time - of course, it would have been better the last 2 years, but I agree with the Collins fanboys that recruiting was getting more and more difficult for him, and without some extra resources, I am not sure that would have changed much. It is pretty impressive what he could do with just a few game changers though, like Justin and Shaq.

Coach Collins is being given a mulligan this year, to go with the obligatory honeymoon last year but he needs to start winning next year or it will begin to affect recruiting 404 culture notwithstanding. A couple more wins this year starting this week with Pitt would not hurt either.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
He was just...different. OK, maybe a little bit crazy but Frank was happy with him.

LOL. He was one of the best DCs of his era. One of my coworkers sons was recruited heavily by VT to play defense for VT. (He ended up playing for uga) He told me that Foster was by far the most "eccentric" coach/recruiter they ever came across and that it was a major reason his son dropped VT from his list early.

zzzboy25

Georgia Tech Fan
P.S. I'm a Cowboy's fan my whole life and a Tech fan.. and trust me ,I talked about our last Cowboys coach and Jerry Jones, but still love the teams

You want to beat Pitt. Here is what we have to do. On D play Tenuta style. Blitz. Corners safety's LBs. We will get burned but we can't give that QB time. He will pick us apart. On offense. Change it up. Spread wide and get Simms under center. Mason hand offs and he will pick up 5 yards a carry. Bring Gibbs in for change but feature JPM. Then mix in some crosses. But frankly...I dont see us doing this. I am thinking 38-14 loss as we continue on with Vanilla

Scubapro

Banned
That's not what I said and apologies if my post showed a lack of appreciation for your opinion. I agree our OC has a hand in ppg outcomes. But your posts are often at one end of the extreme - "only the OC" - and I'm not sure if you believe that or if it's just the way folks generally interpret your posts.

To restate my prior post in context, I think you are linking the OC to data that is influenced by a number of things entirely outside of the OC's control. To what degree those external factors matter is the point I'm making. If you don't care to acknowledge that, it's fine, but it suggests to me you don't want to have a conversation, which is what I was intending to do with my prior reply.

I really would like to see stats that show our 4th down attempts by field position + down and distance. I remember twice being in FG range on 4th down against Temple and we were forced to go for it due to kicking issues. That's aside from our QB fumbling the ball on the goal line, another time on the plus side of the field, etc. Same thing has happened a number of times this year, whether we chose to kick or not. I don't see how attributing "shut out quarters" or total ppg to the OC makes sense in those scenarios, particularly 4th down FG-range situations.
OK...well I put the majority of blame on Patenaude and most of my posts are about him performing poorly. This is true.
While I think Collins and Thacker are in over their head they are both still early in their career. This gives me the impression that they might improve. Patenaude should be the rock for this staff but he is not. He is forcing his system, which has produced limited results during his career, on players that cannot execute it. I haven't seen him run a well coached offensive unit at Tech, Temple, or Coastal. It seems to me he lacks innovation and imagination needed to get the most out of his players.
Does he have the players to be a top ten offense? Nope. Does he have the players to average more than ~24 per game. Absolutely.
My apologies if you don't like me criticizing the guy. Should I criticize Thacker and Collins more to make it even?

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
OK...well I put the majority of blame on Patenaude and most of my posts are about him performing poorly. This is true.
While I think Collins and Thacker are in over their head they are both still early in their career. This gives me the impression that they might improve. Patenaude should be the rock for this staff but he is not. He is forcing his system, which has produced limited results during his career, on players that cannot execute it. I haven't seen him run a well coached offensive unit at Tech, Temple, or Coastal. It seems to me he lacks innovation and imagination needed to get the most out of his players.
Does he have the players to be a top ten offense? Nope. Does he have the players to average more than ~24 per game. Absolutely.
My apologies if you don't like me criticizing the guy. Should I criticize Thacker and Collins more to make it even?
Criticism is fine. Praise is as well. Posts making it black/white or either/or are the posts that 1) read like they are the loudest on the board, and 2) rarely if ever influence others.

My 2 cents and not to come across as patronizing: I personally see no reason to discount your opinion. My perception is that it is tough for some folks to entertain/digest with the way it's presented. Some concession that there's a middle ground actually will help your argument (same goes for others on either end of the extreme). Including data and then being open to different interpretations around context will encourage good discussion.

I think the 24 ppg barometer is a fair one, next year. And there's a good chance we get there over the last 4 games this year. I place a lot of weight on the "weakest link" theory, especially when it comes to OL. Hard to find consistency with a true frosh tackle and sometimes due to injury inserting a walk-on center and LT without other P5 offers (Clark). Add in a true frosh QB and take away a real spring/summer practice, and it's really hard for me to draw conclusive takeaways.

Scubapro

Banned
Criticism is fine. Praise is as well. Posts making it black/white or either/or are the posts that 1) read like they are the loudest on the board, and 2) rarely if ever influence others.

My 2 cents and not to come across as patronizing: I personally see no reason to discount your opinion. My perception is that it is tough for some folks to entertain/digest with the way it's presented. Some concession that there's a middle ground actually will help your argument (same goes for others on either end of the extreme). Including data and then being open to different interpretations around context will encourage good discussion.

I think the 24 ppg barometer is a fair one, next year. And there's a good chance we get there over the last 4 games this year. I place a lot of weight on the "weakest link" theory, especially when it comes to OL. Hard to find consistency with a true frosh tackle and sometimes due to injury inserting a walk-on center and LT without other P5 offers (Clark). Add in a true frosh QB and take away a real spring/summer practice, and it's really hard for me to draw conclusive takeaways.
OK...I think it's fair to say I come across as harsh when pointing out the shortcomings of our OC. My apologies.
I could say his lack of production is due to lack of O line...lack of receivers....lack of kicking game.
We will never be able to out athlete anyone on our schedule. Therefore we MUST be able to out coach them. Nothing from Dave shows me he will out scheme anyone or have his team working in unison. Running the same play as Florida does not make him equivalent to Dan Mullen.