Game 8 Media Georgia Tech vs. Miami

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Heres the reality. You can go fishing and watch the replay at night. Almost every football game is replayed multiple times each week.

I do think sports attendance will change in ways we don’t understand yet. Like you ... I’m playing golf by day and watching football by night. The big programs that seat 80,000 fans will have a serious revenue problem ...

I don't know how much these programs are dependent upon attendance. My understanding, likely as not faulty was that TV money was the driver of college football revenue. In any event, college football may have a hard time coming back from this. Big programs will megabuck expenses may have to lower their expectations over time. A lot of people are getting used to the idea of just watching a replay or "condensed game" on YouTube or some such. My Florida friends tell me that 90,000 seat Ben Hill Griffin stadium has not been sold out in well over a year. People just don't go to the game like they used to. "...attendance will change in ways, we don't understand yet..." This is bound to be scary for athletic directors.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
I don't know how much these programs are dependent upon attendance. My understanding, likely as not faulty was that TV money was the driver of college football revenue. In any event, college football may have a hard time coming back from this. Big programs will megabuck expenses may have to lower their expectations over time. A lot of people are getting used to the idea of just watching a replay or "condensed game" on YouTube or some such. My Florida friends tell me that 90,000 seat Ben Hill Griffin stadium has not been sold out in well over a year. People just don't go to the game like they used to. "...attendance will change in ways, we don't understand yet..." This is bound to be scary for athletic directors.
TV money is what drives the funds for all of the “toys” an athletic department can buy. This ranges from new locker rooms, indoor practice facilities, Jumbotron upgrades, other stadium amenities, huge coaching salaries, etc. The revenue derived from in-person attendance is what actually funds the programs themselves. It’s what pays for the flights, the hotels, the meals, equipment, etc. If revenues from attendance drastically fall off, more money from the “toy” pool has to be redirected into the necessity pool. Unfortunately, a lot of schools are making decisions to keep nearly all revenues to support their toys and necessities of their football programs while dismantling their programs in non-revenue sports.

It’s a shame, because college athletics were never supposed to be about the money. College coaches aren’t supposed to be millionaires starring in commercials to sell trucks, or insurance, or what not. Anybody with any sort of knowledge about college sports knows that football and occasionally basketball are now responsible for covering the budgets of every other program a school offers. So naturally, ADs and schools are going to protect those programs first, even if it means completely eliminating other sports. But, if those same ADs and schools wouldn’t have invested collectively hundreds of millions of dollars in subpar coaches, ridiculous locker room and player amenities (looking at you Clemson with your putt-putt course and slides), indoor facilities, and even new uniforms, they wouldn’t be in that situation. Plus, the ridiculous conference realignment has made travel a nightmare. West Virginia’s closest conference opponent is 871 miles(!!!) away. That’s basically the same distance as Atlanta to NYC. Every conference road game they play they have to fly to. Florida State’s nearest division rival is almost 400 miles away, and even though Atlanta is the closest ACC city to Tallahassee, Tech and Florida State almost never play each other.

Everyone knows the dollar bill trumps all, but it really is a shame that college sports turned into the monstrosity that it is today. I mean, there were numerous college towns (mostly in SEC, Big 12, and B1G countries) that claimed shutting down college football would decimate their local economies. Just think about how ridiculous that is for a second. Amateur athletes not playing for 7 weekends out of a year is enough to completely alter a city’s economy. It’s insane.

Jacket05

Ramblin' Wreck
Kickball dodgeball and homerun Derby why yes no need to worry about football and use this like an extra spring practice
He said "in addition to practice" he is going to have these things to help break up the monotony of practice and give them a competitive outlet since they have missed out on 2 games following a bye week. IF we still play Duke next week it will have been 4 weeks since they played a game. That is a lot of time and these players just want to go out and compete but can't. These activities give them a way to maintain that competitive edge and keep their spirits up throughout that time.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
He said "in addition to practice" he is going to have these things to help break up the monotony of practice and give them a competitive outlet since they have missed out on 2 games following a bye week. IF we still play Duke next week it will have been 4 weeks since they played a game. That is a lot of time and these players just want to go out and compete but can't. These activities give them a way to maintain that competitive edge and keep their spirits up throughout that time.
to each his own , i would rather have a game type scrimmage winner gets 2 days off and a steak dinner.

maybe invite season ticket holders.