Game 7 Media Notre Dame vs. Georgia Tech

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
I haven’t been around for awhile but I couldn’t let this topic go by without my observation.

We’ve ( all of us ) endured several years of pain and celebrated several years of delirious happiness. Some of us sit steadily and watch from whatever seat we have until the last second of every game, the 73-7 blowouts, the 47-27 woulda coulda‘s. Each week we faithfully drive to or tune into each pregame anticipating the kick. We will do the same this week. A lot of us have contributed more than time, some have contributed blood sweat and tears on the field, some a stack of money over the years. Current staff and players show up each day and give their hearts and souls to all that matters, I see no difference in CGC’s approach from what mine would be. I believe in this team and this staff, I believe we are elite right now ! Because it starts with attitude, I believe it is Tech that will deliver the blow to Clemson that changes the conference. Maybe not this year or next or even the year after but I believe it’s coming. My worry is that after it does we will be trying to figure out how to keep this staff here. We will lose some coaches I’m sure, recruiting successfully will ensure some players leave early but through all of this I’ll still be here.

Honestly though I must admit that the love I have for the team has driven me to want to blast some of these players. Ive been very frustrated as I watch who I consider very educated and talented players continue to do things they surely have been coached not to do. Tackling high up on the torso, giving up leverage, failing to communicate, playing out of control are things that drive me crazy during the game, after several of these issues in one game I’m honestly fit to be tied. I can’t conceive the issues being so insurmountable that they happen over and over again like they have.
However my frustration conflicts with my hope, my knowledge that it can be fixed mingles with my demand for explanations as to why it isn’t. My pride in the team struggles with my own Sunday morning apathy.

As a fan I’m experiencing an assortment of feelings, as an investor I feel I should be let in on some of the back room thought process. Not strategic thought, not personnel issues and not interpersonal relationships but I need to hear more than ‘I told the guys I love them during a blowout loss as much as I do during a win’.
The logic is sound, I don’t expect players to be physically assaulted as they come off the field I simply expect a more open answer or acknowledgement of issues when asked. He essentially said it’s none of our business.

In my view CGC’s could approach us, the investor, as he does the team. He could tell us that they too see the issues, he could tell us what they are doing specifically to address them, extra film study, simplification, more intense one on one coaching or whatever. Act like we are all part of the culture, let us know that player A is kicking himself and is working harder than ever or whatever tidbit he can. He doesn’t have to slam anyone. Kids are difficult to manage some require different techniques but so are fans. Some fans trust the sales pitch, some need more detail, some are visual and some are nuanced. I don't expect a my way or highway approach to players or fans ( or contributors/donors ). I don’t expect a hostile answer if he’s been preaching love. I’ll accept some form of reassurance at all - that he sees any of the problems but ‘I told them I love them’ isn’t enough. It isn’t enough for my wife and it isn’t enough for most people. Normally some type of action is reassuring and calms the flames. CGC’s messed up when he said he keeps score, I doubt he would say that to a recruit or the recruits parents, he shouldn’t say it to any reporter because It can be vague, ”I keep score” can have many not so positive connotations. It sounds petulant and based in revenge, childish actually. it would concern me if Tech were recruiting my son, what happens if my son pisses him off ? Is he keeping score ? I know he wasn’t talking about players but if I were AD I would remind him whose really keeping score, he wouldn’t say it again, at least in public.

CGC’s is young he has had a lot of successful stints, which I don't need him telling me about, but as a young guy he will be learning for a lot longer. I hope this is one of those lessons. Family and culture are not derived from seclusion it requires the city and state to embrace this program, confrontational statements and defensiveness do not promote that. In the end his defensive attitude did not work toward the message and culture he is trying to build overall, maybe with the players, but not with supporters, It divides us.

I will say the attitude in his approach to the question actually gave me hope though. I saw a deep down fire in his attitude. I saw grit and determination and I saw dedication. That’s all I needed to see, I just wanted to know that he is capable of it. I don’t need to see it on the sideline I just needed to see it somewhere. In my world love and expectations are always backed up with consequence, you don't tell your kid you love him without first explaining to him that he will face the consequences of his actions. We all need love and reassurance but the family needs to know it comes with correction and actions. Next time I wish CGC’s would be a little more open with how those consequences and corrections are being done. Ironically Thacker, who I expected to get the harder questions and be more defensive handled it just like I think CGC’s should have. He cited a play, noted the problem and addressed what he intended to do to fix it and he never called out a player by name. He simply said we had a unimpeded shot at a straight up sack, we went high on the tackle and one of our coverage guys wasn’t where he was suppose to be. He then cited a few drills and techniques he would reenforce on tackling, he said they would run the play over and over in practice because now Norte Dame might try to exploit the problem, That’s all I needed to hear. He acknowledged a specific problem and He didn’t act offended that others saw it also.

Despite the fact fans don’t play I don’t think this program survives without us, all of us were wondering exactly what was asked, we know who the coach is and most of us know his philosophy and style by now, if he expects full support he needs to treat us like we are part of the family during the next 5 to 20 years. I’m with him all the way, he should think about that before he gets offended at a question That most of us have been wondering. Kelly may have asked it but he is an extension of us since we can’t be on the call talking to coach ourselves.

Milwaukee

Banned
But what if Marty was a hater? You can’t say “hell yeah f*ck the haters!!!....unless their the establishment, then kiss their ***” which is exactly what you’re implying and is incredibly lame.
Cool hypothetical non existent story bruh. The fact is we’re not having this conversation if it were a Herbstreit type. I’m sorry Collins hurt you, I genuinely am.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I'm assuming you aren't going to watch Saturday since it's clear the game will make you miserable? Either GT loses again to a top 3 team or you have to suffer through the agony of Collins getting a big win. Neither seems to be a good option for you

watching the game for some is simply an exercise to collect data or anecdotes that they can use to further their preconceptions of what is happening with the program.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
I guess they’re elite too then. We are lucky to have all these elite DB’s
Do you seriously think the play of our corners is our problem in defense? Walton has played really well all year and Swilling seems to be plying well too. Both of them especially in man coverage.

No there might be some issues in zone, but that seems to be a communication issue more than anything.

Our issue is up the middle. Interior DL, LB, and safety play (including nickel). Now someone mentioned Oliver getting some time there, I don’t know if that would work or not.

My guess is we are going to sell out to stop the run this week so guys like Charlie Thomas will get more run (which is a good thing). I think Charlie should move back to Lb anyways.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Questions will begin to come about the "state of the program" soon, if not today. It will be very interesting to see how CGC responds. At some point, the honeymoon will end unless results on the field deliver with the rhetoric. Hopefully, that honeymoon won't end this year, because I do believe any coach deserves at least 2 years before the press starts getting difficult with its questioning, but in today's world, you never know.
The press ought to get "difficult" immediately. As the Athletic reporter braced Swinney when he whined about Syracuse coverage when everybody and his 4th cousin could see Clemson was flatter than yesterday's beer, "We are not here to ask positive questions all the time." Coaches get paid a lot of money and a big part of their responsibility is dealing with the press. If Collins can't do that he probably should not be playing Notre Dame.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
The press ought to get "difficult" immediately. As the Athletic reporter braced Swinney when he whined about Syracuse coverage when everybody and his 4th cousin could see Clemson was flatter than yesterday's beer, "We are not here to ask positive questions all the time." Coaches get paid a lot of money and a big part of their responsibility is dealing with the press. If Collins can't do that he probably should not be playing Notre Dame.
It is the rare coach who enjoys that part of the job,,,,guys like Jimmy V. Coach Cremins maybe? At work, I never minded (and expected) tough questions from peers or superiors provided that I believed they knew as much or more than I did about the topic at hand. But questions from accounting, corporate types, sales or marketing....not so much.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
Cool hypothetical non existent story bruh. The fact is we’re not having this conversation if it were a Herbstreit type. I’m sorry Collins hurt you, I genuinely am.

Well that’s too bad. If he actually “****ed the haters” as you said, he would have the same response to Herbstreit. Otherwise, he’s a shill.

And yeah, going 5-13 in 1.5 years sucks. As a fan, it does hurt!

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer

You obviously haven't seen most of my posts. I have HUGE concerns with our HC. So, if the press asks hard questions his first year, I would be ok with it. I guess I spoke incorrectly in the previous post - although I do not believe our coach can keep harping on the transition, I have to admit that it is a little different than most. But, yes, I am ok with hard questions. I even thanked Kelly for his "timid" question on twitter.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
You obviously haven't seen most of my posts. I have HUGE concerns with our HC. So, if the press asks hard questions his first year, I would be ok with it. I guess I spoke incorrectly in the previous post - although I do not believe our coach can keep harping on the transition, I have to admit that it is a little different than most. But, yes, I am ok with hard questions. I even thanked Kelly for his "timid" question on twitter.
Okay. Not a problem.

And if I can do a hummingbird, am I the only one who thinks today's game is a golden -- pardon the pun -- opportunity for Georgia Tech to step up and compete with a Notre Dame team I again feel is overrated? (It should be a recruiting mantra for them: "Come to Notre Dame where being overrated beats being good".) They have to be dismissing us and anticipating playing a Lawrence-less Clemson in a week.

That of course will require a spirited performance on the field and on the sideline. The former is doable. I am not sure about the latter.