Game 7 #GTvsUVA Media

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
When not doing the gt stardard inside delayed hand off, perhaps we could frequently get the very beast athletes on the field by running 2 backs w no tight end w slots split wider than normal. Gibbs or Smith at a SPLIT OUT TE spot. Keep Mason behind sims as rb, blocking b for sims or lead blocker . With speedy slot receivers split wider they can stretch field vertically for flat passes or wr crossing routes. Soon u get a slow lb on speedy rb or a safety on fast slot for easy pitch catch w chance for big yards after catch. If they spread out run mason or sims.

Sons hs team ran this in 93.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
When not doing the gt stardard inside delayed hand off, perhaps we could frequently get the very beast athletes on the field by running 2 backs w no tight end w slots split wider than normal. Gibbs or Smith at a SPLIT OUT TE spot. Keep Mason behind sims as rb, blocking b for sims or lead blocker . With speedy slot receivers split wider they can stretch field vertically for flat passes or wr crossing routes. Soon u get a slow lb on speedy rb or a safety on fast slot for easy pitch catch w chance for big yards after catch. If they spread out run mason or sims.

This would make my heart sing. We just need to scheme around our strengths.

Our Line is weak so we need to get the ball outside and quickly.

We have capable, speedy and sure handed backs with guys at slot who know how to run routes and set up defenders.

We have a QB who has shown he can move and throw from off balance so getting him out of the pocket and looking for the open guy shouldn't be too hard on him.

Plus JS is a stud - and can do some real damage up the middle if the defense starts cheating outside, not to mention Mason back there looking to bruise and destroy a LB on any given play.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*

So in your mind, Gibbs is a better WR than McGowan, McCollum, Rutherford by going to this personnel

MidtownJacket

Staff member
So in your mind, Gibbs is a better WR than McGowan, McCollum, Rutherford by going to this personnel
I actually think our slot guys are capable of setting defenders up with their route running, and the defense will be forced into picking their poison:

Bite on the route and get blown up by backs - stay home and the slot dudes and wide outs get their look one on one or running free in busted coverage.

It is a system thing helping both backs and receivers benefit from the other, not a player versus player discussion.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I sort of like the idea. In the passing game we are really weak at going over the middle. it seems like with his throwing motion that it can be an adventure for Sims to throw over the middle.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I like his scheme but would just move Gibbs around all over he field btwn rb and either of the two slots. Diamond formation with two backs behind Sims would be badass too

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Interesting CGC called Blackstrain out as developmental player of the week. I don't think he has had snaps in game yet, anyone remembering hearing anything else about him?

MidtownJacket

Staff member
OOOOOOOHHHHHH..... Looky, Looky, might this be a message?

1634744709656.png

LibertyTurns

Banned
Interesting CGC called Blackstrain out as developmental player of the week. I don't think he has had snaps in game yet, anyone remembering hearing anything else about him?
No I was wondering about him. I thought he had the potential to crack the line up (not start but play some) as a Freshman, but radio silence since he arrived on the Flats. Good to see he’s starting to make waves. After this redshirt year, look out. He and Blackburn are going to tear it up!

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
Ace is starting to look more natural in our defense. First five games he had some awkward steps & fits (angles and timing). Seems like he's playing faster and smoother. Glad we got him for next year as well. Hope to see a pick from him this week!

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
Pass rush thoughts:

--Hope Griffin is back and 100 percent for UVA. Was coming on as an interior rusher IMO.
--Not sure if Domineck's being doubled or has been slowed. Could use a big game from him.
--K. White and AC Clayton would be nice...allow us to get more rushers on the field without giving up much in way of size. Maybe move Ivy inside some.
--Would be a good game for K. Harris and Kennard to make strides.

Just going to be tough if we can't pressure. We need front 7 to play like UNC...and see similar coverage. A lot of ifs.