Game 6 #GTvsDUKE Media

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
I could hit those softballs and I am in my 70's!
I'd like to ask Thacker some questions. He talks the talk, but apparently after listening to him, it sounds like his players lost focus Saturday. I guess we're still going to go with a 3-3-5 defense, If I was Dook, even though they have a good running back, I would double team those three defensive linemen all day and then I'd pass, pass, pass. Thacker's defenses have been lit up before and I wouldn't be surprised to see Dook score 40 points Saturday. I really hope I'm wrong. You can go to YouTube and see examples of what happens when you pass rush with just three down linemen. Pickett took great advantage of that.

Last edited:

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I'd like to ask Thacker some questions. He talks the talk, but apparently after listening to him, it sounds like his players lost focus Saturday. I guess we're still going to go with a 3-3-5 defense, If I was Dook, even though they have a good running back, I would double team those three defensive linemen all day and then I'd pass, pass, pass. Thacker's defenses have been lit up before and I wouldn't be surprised to see Dook score 40 points Saturday. I really hope I'm wrong. You can go to YouTube and see examples of what happens when you pass rush with just three down linemen. Pickett took great advantage of that.
For what it's worth, Syracuse's (3-3-5) worst game last year imo was against Duke. In that game Duke ran for 363 yards.

I suspect we'll blitz a bit if we're not having success with a 3-man rush. We blitzed against Pitt - it just never felt like it because the blitzes were so ineffective.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer

I was interested in CGC press conference where he referred to his "book" (size of dictionary) of all the play call/situation stats that he used to make game decisions . Maybe looking up those similar situations in the book is one cause of the indecisions and late calls to the field. I once knew a 25 year coach with a great win/loss record who claimed he never lost to a coach who had his game plan/play call sheet on a clipboard. If the papers were laminated it was a blowout. He intently watched every thing going on (even the other team's substitutions), knew who was on the field and who was available, and what he was going to do in key situations.....all in his head. His philosophy was if you are reading during the action and not paying attention to what is going on the field then you were soon to be his victim. Maybe it was just his smarts and experience (something CGC is hopefully growing into) but he had the record to back up his claim. I doubt the feel of the game can be found even in the largest of books. With some experience myself I can understand reading such a book but not using it in real time to make decisions in the game (after all that book knows nothing about this game or the players in it).

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
I was interested in CGC press conference where he referred to his "book" (size of dictionary) of all the play call/situation stats that he used to make game decisions . Maybe looking up those similar situations in the book is one cause of the indecisions and late calls to the field. I once knew a 25 year coach with a great win/loss record who claimed he never lost to a coach who had his game plan/play call sheet on a clipboard. If the papers were laminated it was a blowout. He intently watched every thing going on (even the other team's substitutions), knew who was on the field and who was available, and what he was going to do in key situations.....all in his head. His philosophy was if you are reading during the action and not paying attention to what is going on the field then you were soon to be his victim. Maybe it was just his smarts and experience (something CGC is hopefully growing into) but he had the record to back up his claim. I doubt the feel of the game can be found even in the largest of books. With some experience myself I can understand reading such a book but not using it in real time to make decisions in the game (after all that book knows nothing about this game or the players in it).
I wonder if I could buy one of those books on ebay.