Game 6: Duke Week Media #GTvsDUKE

CousCous

Georgia Tech Fan
Post Presser Ponderings

CGC - I have mentioned in a previous post I think he is intentional in how he approaches the press and uses them as unofficial contact with the 'croots. Relationships and consistent transition talk is how you quell the negative shock and awe of our current record. We are so polarized on this board (CGC/CPJ, New/Old, Kool-Aid/Fanboy ... pick your verbiage) that when he makes a distinction it translates to some as a slight. I think he is just trying to throw a huge spotlight on how he wants us to be viewed differently. I like his positivity, but I do not like his communication style. He is repetitive, which is probably intentional to the culture change, but I personally glaze over during his pressers. Again, I don't think I am the target he is aiming at, and I do believe he is passionate that these concepts are what GaTech football needs. He doesn't seem like a travel agent selling tickets to places he has never been.

CAT - For me a must watch every week. Positive with a sensibility I appreciate. I don't think he likes doing the press conferences because he rarely cracks a smile. Still, after each one of his pressers I have felt like appropriate evaluations had been made and responsibility taken. Hard not to believe he won't make some short list to be the main guy at a school that needs youth and integrity in their next HC. I hope I am wrong on that point.

CDP - I am actually beginning to pull for this guy. Maybe all my lurking on this board has made me look at him like an underdog, but after watching his pressers, I like him. I don't think anyone at this level likes losing, but he seems like he understands where we are at in the process and is having fun as the O grows. Without a doubt, he is an unproven commodity at this level, and I am not qualified to say whether he will or will not get us where we need to be. I am pulling for him though. I do think he relishes the whole "they will never see this coming" play call. He might even have a play called "Iocaine Powder" that he developed after the " but I know that you know that I know what you know ... so I can clearly not take the gobblet in front of me!" scene in The Princess Bride. Maybe towards the end of the season he will let us all in on the secret .... he actually isn't left handed.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
Potentially-Overly-Sensitive Alert
I really with CGC would refrain from taking potshots at the previous staff. Even when it's true about our lack of getting guys drafted over the last couple of years. When you're taking over from an offense that was #11 to #19 in efficiency depending on metric and the team was #2 in the Coastal going 5-3 in Conference and we're now doing poorly in every statistical category, I don't think he should be throwing shade. It's not like he's taking over a losing team with no history of success.​
It’s not a Potshot if it’s true.

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Post Presser Ponderings

CGC - I have mentioned in a previous post I think he is intentional in how he approaches the press and uses them as unofficial contact with the 'croots. Relationships and consistent transition talk is how you quell the negative shock and awe of our current record. We are so polarized on this board (CGC/CPJ, New/Old, Kool-Aid/Fanboy ... pick your verbiage) that when he makes a distinction it translates to some as a slight. I think he is just trying to throw a huge spotlight on how he wants us to be viewed differently. I like his positivity, but I do not like his communication style. He is repetitive, which is probably intentional to the culture change, but I personally glaze over during his pressers. Again, I don't think I am the target he is aiming at, and I do believe he is passionate that these concepts are what GaTech football needs. He doesn't seem like a travel agent selling tickets to places he has never been.

CAT - For me a must watch every week. Positive with a sensibility I appreciate. I don't think he likes doing the press conferences because he rarely cracks a smile. Still, after each one of his pressers I have felt like appropriate evaluations had been made and responsibility taken. Hard not to believe he won't make some short list to be the main guy at a school that needs youth and integrity in their next HC. I hope I am wrong on that point.

CDP - I am actually beginning to pull for this guy. Maybe all my lurking on this board has made me look at him like an underdog, but after watching his pressers, I like him. I don't think anyone at this level likes losing, but he seems like he understands where we are at in the process and is having fun as the O grows. Without a doubt, he is an unproven commodity at this level, and I am not qualified to say whether he will or will not get us where we need to be. I am pulling for him though. I do think he relishes the whole "they will never see this coming" play call. He might even have a play called "Iocaine Powder" that he developed after the " but I know that you know that I know what you know ... so I can clearly not take the gobblet in front of me!" scene in The Princess Bride. Maybe towards the end of the season he will let us all in on the secret .... he actually isn't left handed.
I chuckled at “Iocaine Powder.” I am really enjoying CDP’s press conferences. I feel like I learn a little bit each week. One issue with the offense that I hadn’t thought of is that every position has a new responsibility that needs to be learned in this new offense. The OL is having trouble for sure, but there are things every other player on offense can do to make it easier on them. In the run game, the RBs could do a better job of making reads on inside and outside zone. I was watching a replay of the Washington-Stanford game yesterday, and I came away impressed at how the UW RB seemed to run through the hole right as it opened, guaranteeing that he would get at least a few yards, often more. The Huskies certainly have a better O-Line than us, but the proficiency of Newton ensured that no block was wasted. In the pass game, the more comfortable Graham gets with his progressions, the faster he’ll find the open receiver, lowering the required duration of pass protection. Since everyone is learning new techniques and responsibilities, the issues are compounding. That being said, I’ve seen some good improvement over the last couple games.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Coach also praised David Curry for getting 16 tackles in the game and observed that this hasn't happened since 2006.

Our Defense faced 97 plays.
It’s not a Potshot if it’s true.

Whether or not it is true has nothing to do with it being a pot shot. A pot shot is just a random attack/criticism, especially when there's not an opportunity to defend against it.

In this case, CGC talked about David Curry's 16 tackles in the game as the first time that's happened since 2005 and immediately contextualizes it with nobody being drafted from GT into the NFL for 3 years besides the kicker (Butker). In other words, he's suggesting that David's performance on Saturday has to do with the development he's receiving under our current staff that was not happening under the previous staff.

However, a good chunk of GT fans are engineers or other math-mindful folk, and we immediately recognize the chowder being shouted. David got his 16 tackles in a game where our D faced 97 plays, so he made a tackle on about 16.5% of the snaps our D faced.

So, I looked at last year against North Carolina where our D faced 67 snaps, and Malik Rivera made 10 tackles (14.9%) and Brant Mitchell made 9 tackles (13.4%).

Now, obviously, the real stat should be player-tackles/snaps-faced-by-player, but I don't know where to find how many snaps a player played. So, while we can't say for sure, these guys seem to be in the same ball park as David's performance on Saturday, especially since CGC seems to say that he rotates guys more than we did previously.

The fact is that we haven't faced 97 snaps on D in the last 10 years (cfbstats only goes back to 2009 now). The closest was 93 snaps against uva in 2013, and Jemea Thomas got 15 tackles (16.1%), and when I saw that I noticed that he also got 15 tackles against Ole Miss when our D faced 84 snaps (17.9%).

Obviously, there may have been recent examples of better performance since I just did a nearly random sampling. My point is that he took a stat--David's 16 tackles in a game--out of context not just to praise David's efforts but to suggest that his new staff is doing better in development than the previous staff. That's a pot shot.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Coach also praised David Curry for getting 16 tackles in the game and observed that this hasn't happened since 2006.

Whether or not it is true has nothing to do with it being a pot shot. A pot shot is just a random attack/criticism, especially when there's not an opportunity to defend against it.

In this case, CGC talked about David Curry's 16 tackles in the game as the first time that's happened since 2005 and immediately contextualizes it with nobody being drafted from GT into the NFL for 3 years besides the kicker (Butker). In other words, he's suggesting that David's performance on Saturday has to do with the development he's receiving under our current staff that was not happening under the previous staff.

However, a good chunk of GT fans are engineers or other math-mindful folk, and we immediately recognize the chowder being shouted. David got his 16 tackles in a game where our D faced 97 plays, so he made a tackle on about 16.5% of the snaps our D faced.

So, I looked at last year against North Carolina where our D faced 67 snaps, and Malik Rivera made 10 tackles (14.9%) and Brant Mitchell made 9 tackles (13.4%).

Now, obviously, the real stat should be player-tackles/snaps-faced-by-player, but I don't know where to find how many snaps a player played. So, while we can't say for sure, these guys seem to be in the same ball park as David's performance on Saturday, especially since CGC seems to say that he rotates guys more than we did previously.

The fact is that we haven't faced 97 snaps on D in the last 10 years (cfbstats only goes back to 2009 now). The closest was 93 snaps against uva in 2013, and Jemea Thomas got 15 tackles (16.1%), and when I saw that I noticed that he also got 15 tackles against Ole Miss when our D faced 84 snaps (17.9%).

Obviously, there may have been recent examples of better performance since I just did a nearly random sampling. My point is that he took a stat--David's 16 tackles in a game--out of context not just to praise David's efforts but to suggest that his new staff is doing better in development than the previous staff. That's a pot shot.
Using total stats is so misleading. I was thinking the same thing.

It 100% highlights the differences between press conferences too (and probably why I love listening to our coordinators more than Collins). In Thacker’s presser, he was asked about what we did special to get 7 tackles for loss. He almost immediately mentioned the fact that we faced close to 100 snaps, so it isn’t as impressive, but that it is something we scheme for and is something we try to do.

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck

And this is exactly why I'm not a fan of Collins. I like most of the rest of the staff - patenaude is growing on me.

Em_Jae20

Helluva Engineer
Love the conviction I hear in Kelton Dawson's voice at the 3:27 mark when KQ asked him about the leadership on the team. Hope he and the rest of the team continues to improve but after seeing his interview I'm really pulling for KD now.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer

Several people have noted Curry is playing better from an eyeball test perspective, on this and other boards.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Several people have noted Curry is playing better from an eyeball test perspective, on this and other boards.

giphy.gif

Jacket05

Ramblin' Wreck

I didn't take it as a shot at the last regime at all. I took it as him stating how uncommon it is to get that many tackles and trying to give praise to Curry. All your stats show how good of a job it still is. Yes there were players that had great tackling performances through the CPJ years but only one of the examples you gave had a higher percentage than Curry.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I didn't take it as a shot at the last regime at all. I took it as him stating how uncommon it is to get that many tackles and trying to give praise to Curry. All your stats show how good of a job it still is. Yes there were players that had great tackling performances through the CPJ years but only one of the examples you gave had a higher percentage than Curry.

Mine was just a nearly random sampling. I found those examples in like 2 min.

My point was that he didn't just praise Curry, he used it as opportunity to attack our program's lack of NFL draftees the last few years.