Game 1 ATL Chart

UpperNorth

Jolly Good Fellow
Anybody know if Michael Maye or Austin Smith were ATL or played any meaningful reps last year?

Also, has there been any mention of Miles Brooks during Fall Camp?

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
My bold season prediction. Austin Kent either pushes PHIII to the point where it’s an in-season competition at punter, and/or he’s one of the best kickers in the ACC.

Kent was Chris Sailor’s #2 punter in the nation coming out of high school and won the UCLA punting job as a true freshman (had a decent year but lost the job as a sophomore). This will be his 5th year in college. He’s a big kid, already faced adversity, closer to home, etc. Just my two cents.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I'm sure a lot of the freshman will play 4 and redshirt unless we need them to play more or they are way better than the other guys at their position (Gibbs, for example).
All the freshman that are ATL will play in as many games as the coaches want them too. Everyone is given a waiver for this year. They'll still be true freshmen next year even if they play in 11 games.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
This is why "overall roster talent" as measured by recruiting rankings is a premature gauge of success this year. True freshmen normally aren't ready to contribute unless forced into action. Our best class in recruiting ranking history - 2007 - hardly made an impact year 1.

Antonneous Clayton is the single biggest x-factor this year, imo. Probably true last year too
If you stop to consider those five, each is a special case. Williams would likely not be ATL if we had a normal evolution of talent in the OL room. Same with Ward at TE. Sims and Gleason are very similar situations (a couple could also be ATL on paper only). Gibbs is a very rare talent and might be our best athlete at any position.

For us to have only five freshmen ATL is a sign that the returning group has progressed in the off season. It also bodes well for the future of the program.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Has anyone looked at the ATL lists from last season? I'm trying to remember what percentage of guys on the list got 0 snaps in the week they were ATL. Seems like I remember it being not uncommon (maybe 20% of the guys not seeing game action) but that is a gut feel not on data.

If no one else has done this I may go back this week to do it, and start tracking it. It would be interesting to me to see how it evolves over time.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
Only 4 LB's ATL? That seems very, very thin.

I'm sure we'll have some folks available in case of injury that will see the field on ST not listed on the chart especially since we don't have to be mindful of burning anyone's shirt this year. Keep in mind that we play only 2 LB in base defense, and that we have packages for guys with significant flexibility there. We're only listing guys once, so some of the folks listed at nickel, safety, and DE are going to line up essentially as LBs on certain plays. This is what we're working toward. We want to have personnel packages where the defense doesn't know who's coming from where and who is dropping into coverage. We could put 11 guys out there and rush 3 or 7 with the same group lined up the same way. That's obviously pretty extreme, but this depth chart is configured the way we want it.

My notes:
WR - excited to see what Peje Harris can bring to the table. Also expected Avery Boyd to earn some snaps playing limited routes just to take advantage of his athleticism. To me this indicates how solid the group has been playing in practice.
RB - no BJS. Thought we'd list him and use him situationally. But man is that a group of studs nonetheless.
QB - no surprise at all. How we actually use them in a game is the real question.
OL - no surprise at all. We knew Williams would play. I was curious who else would make it in the mix, but it's pretty much what anyone would expect otherwise. Hopefully we can get the new faces some game experience throughout the year.

LB - per above discussion. I didn't expect anything else.
DL - no Owens or Martin, but looking at those names it feels like a surprisingly deep and big group. Ryans played a bit last year, but he isn't anyone I've been keeping an eye on. Rushing the passer is still a ? despite the improvement.
DB - The group is as expected, although depth at corner was a little uncertain. Thought one of the Huff's would be there instead of Kenan Johnson, but that was just based on reputation before being with the team

KR - Jahmyr Gibbs :)
PR - Only name in common is Ahmarean Brown. All the guys are WR, though. Ezzard in this role makes me think of Brad Stewart. Did he ever drop a punt? I like the idea of Ezzard in that role since there is more traffic. Sure hands, good size to take a hit, and very good short burst to pick up some yards in traffic.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
There are likely a lot of players participating on special teams not listed on the ATL, Players like B Swilling, the Huffs, Brooks, some of those LBs and DEs, Martin, etc.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I honestly didn't think we would get any college football. 100% glad to be wrong (I'd go 110% but some of you nerds would get on to me :))

That said...this ATL depth chart has me amped up for Saturday!!!! Let's f$cking go!!!!

RB: Really excited to see all the hype for Gibbs on the field. Prediction: Quite a few FSU defenders are going to be on skates grasping at air. Jordan Mason looked like a MONSTER in scrimmage clips. I fully expect him to take the next step. I'm a little biased, but if Gibbs is all that, and Mason improves from last season, it's gonna be tough to find another RB duo in the ACC with such diverse skillset and impact on each carry.

QB: If one of the freshmen (Yates, Gleason, Sims) takes a hold of this offense, it's going to be difficult to see that QB lose hold of it the next 4 years. Patenaude needs to show us his worth, and it starts with QB play. He's got 3 4 star QBs, and another really QB prospect in Gleason to work with. It's not a talent issue in that QB room.

OL: Obviously we would be better with Cochran, but the OL is healthy and we don't have multiple walk-ons littering our depth chart. Nothing against the walk-ons from last season who had to play, but it's comforting to know our scholarship guys are good enough to make game day roster. Welcome to college football, Jordan William. GT fans expect to see you become the cornerstone for at least the next 3 years.

WR: Ahmarean Brown is gonna serve some toast against FSU DBs. I think it's gonna be fun to watch these guys with improved QB play, and an improved OL. WRs were open last year, we just couldn't get them the ball. Hopefully we'll get them the ball...a LOT.

DE: I think this group is gonna surprise most of us. We've got some guys with elite skills and physical attributes, they were just young and learning a new system. The Minister of Mayhem is gonna live up to his billing this year.

LB: We know what we have in Curry. I'm excited by Knight. He can be All ACC at some point, and I hope it's this season. Howard will interesting to watch to see how he transitioned to LB in one offseason. He's ATL, so he's doing a lot of things right.

CB: Swilling can put his name in for All ACC and cement his status as an NFL pick this year. He'll get his chance as CGC likes to put his guys on an island to show their worth. Tobias Oliver will surprise...he's just a great athlete, and has an NFL body for CB.

DB. Well, Tariq and Juanyeh are giving it one last go. Good luck crossing over the Middle WRs. Lots of talent in the back half of our defense.

Last edited:

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I honestly didn't think we would get any college football. 100% glad to be wrong (I'd go 110% but some of you nerds would get on to me :))

That said...this ATL depth chart has me amped up for Saturday!!!! Let's f$cking go!!!!

RB: Really excited to see all the hype for Gibbs on the field. Prediction: Quite a few FSU defenders are going to be on skates grasping at air. Jordan Mason looked like a MONSTER in scrimmage clips. I fully expect him to take the next step. I'm a little biased, but if Gibbs is all that, and Mason improves from last season, it's gonna be tough to find another RB duo in the ACC with such diverse skillset and impact on each carry.

QB: If one of the freshmen (Yates, Gleason, Sims) takes a hold of this offense, it's going to be difficult to see that QB lose hold of it the next 4 years. Patenaude needs to show us his worth, and it starts with QB play. He's got 3 4 star QBs, and another really QB prospect in Gleason to work with. It's not a talent issue in that QB room.

OL: Obviously we would be better with Cochran, but the OL is healthy and we don't have multiple walk-ons littering our depth chart. Nothing against the walk-ons from last season who had to play, but it's comforting to know our scholarship guys are good enough to make game day roster. Welcome to college football, Jordan William. GT fans expect to see you become the cornerstone for at least the next 3 years.

WR: Ahmarean Brown is gonna serve some toast against FSU DBs. I think it's gonna be fun to watch these guys with improved QB play, and an improved OL. WRs were open last year, we just couldn't get them the ball. Hopefully we'll get them the ball...a LOT.

DE: I think this group is gonna surprise most of us. We've got some guys with elite skills and physical attributes, they were just young and learning a new system. The Minister of Mayhem is gonna live up to his billing this year.

LB: We know what we have in Curry. I'm excited by Knight. He can be All ACC at some point, and I hope it's this season. Howard will interesting to watch to see how he transitioned to LB in one offseason. He's ATL, so he's doing a lot of things right.

CB: Swilling can put his name in for All ACC and cement his status as an NFL pick this year. He'll get his chance as CGC likes to put his guys on an island to show their worth. Tobias Oliver will surprise...he's just a great athlete, and has an NFL body for CB.

DB. Well, Tariq and Juanyeh are giving it one last go. Good luck crossing over the Middle WRs. Lots of talent in the back half of our defense.
Love all of this, except hope we see Tariq and Juanyeh one more year after this on the flats.