Ga Tech Placekicking Problems

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
Considering it was Collins who gave Wells the scholarship to begin with, no.
King also graduated after last season, so this doesn't make any sense at all. Why give Wells a scholarship you didn't have to, and then run him off in favor of a guy that was closer to graduating?

No conspiracies necessary. Bottom line is neither could get the job done and here we are.
Oops, I thought CPJ gave him a scholarship. My bad

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
All I know is that if they don't bring in a kicker for next year, we're in trouble. And that is a troubling sign if they are unable to.
Didnt one of the kickers we brought in get hurt before the season? Feel like he was supposed to be the best if the bunch too. Could be misremembering though.

I also think it’s risky to give a scholly to a kicker unless they are top 5 or so in the nation. We had a guy who flipped to Bama like that a few years ago. Don’t know what ultimately happened to him but know he missed a lot of kicks for them.

I’d much rather take an athlete that can help on special teams if they can’t contribute at their position. Or a chance on a big bodied DL.

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
Yes, it is strange to have a seemingly deteriorating kicking room. It is unlike anything I have ever seen and likely that Collins has seen and certainly overseen.

There is data from Temple that suggests Collins is not the issue. How do you interpret the kicking performance at Temple vs now?

I do think it’s possible that a bunch of walk-on kickers are not up to D1 expectations and there could be a mental issue in that room that is sort of a self-fulfilling prophecy. That is not to say I discount the idea that there are coaching elements at play.

I don’t think it’s Collins, I think it’s smaller than that. I think somewhere in this group, which includes the line and holder, some very small detail or lack thereof isn’t getting noticed and fixed. I do think the ATL puts added and unneeded pressure on this position though. Yes ultimately Collins is the head coach but he did say about 2 weeks ago was the first time groups had unit meetings as in QBs, WRs and OL in the same meeting. I’ll bet you that’s the case with the PK units. I don’t know but 4-5 kickers just don't forget how to kick, even 2 star kickers dont miss this bad this consistently and lines don’t get beat off the snap this consistently. There is some mechanical something going on, some technical thing that is or isn’t being done.

as far as Temple, Id have to know more details regarding both staffs and who or how the units are handled, while the how is most likely the same, I’ll bet somebody “new” is working with the PK unit day to day.

im not trying to be mean, this issue is a head scratcher.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I am pretty sure the defense is not allowed to line up directly over the snapper this year. They now line up on either side in the gaps which affects the blocking assignments. In the past there was supposed to be a one second delay before the center could be engaged but UGA violated that multiple times a few years ago when they blocked a couple of extra points in Athens and it wasn't called. One was the extra point in OT and we intercepted their pass to win. Not sure if delay is still in play with the alignment change.