Ga Tech at UVA - 730PM

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
They have two of them that are long and can run pretty well. Thompson (?) is a guy they use in all kinds of clever ways as a former high school quarterback. UVA uses a lot of formations and likes to swing Kemp, the short receiver, in motion as eye candy a lot. Coach Thacker is going to earn his money this week.
College QB, even. Did his throwing shoulder at miss state and it never really recovered, but occasionally we'll use him on gadget passes

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
In his press conference this week Coach P said you can't run to the outside against UVA. The only way to get yards against them is to run it up the middle and punch though their front.

I hope he has a better game plan than that.

slugboy

Staff member
In his press conference this week Coach P said you can't run to the outside against UVA. The only way to get yards against them is to run it up the middle and punch though their front.

That might have been Duke’s plan. Durant ran to the middle a lot; UVA was piled up there, though, and he bounced outside.
He made a lot of yardage outside, though. I wonder what game film Patenaude watched 🤔

MidtownJacket

Staff member

breathe out dragons' den GIF by CBC
GIF by erichamlet

breakdown GIF

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer

I want to think that he’s trying to trick UVA with this bs. But i’m really scared that he means it, he seems to truly love running Gibbs straight into the middle of a mass of bodies

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

That might have been Duke’s plan. Durant ran to the middle a lot; UVA was piled up there, though, and he bounced outside.
He made a lot of yardage outside, though. I wonder what game film Patenaude watched 🤔

That's not what he said. He said that if you run to the sideline and get flattened out you have no chance. He said you have to be able to puncture and get north and south for success. He also detailed how they use their safety to either flatten out and force the sideline runs or force you towards the center where the big guys are waiting.

He never said that you have to run it up the middle, he said that if you wanted to have success you had to puncture N and S.

slugboy

Staff member
That's not what he said. He said that if you run to the sideline and get flattened out you have no chance. He said you have to be able to puncture and get north and south for success. He also detailed how they use their safety to either flatten out and force the sideline runs or force you towards the center where the big guys are waiting.

He never said that you have to run it up the middle, he said that if you wanted to have success you had to puncture N and S.
Yeah, that’s completely different

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
I actually think there's a decent chance you guys have great success running on us. We are slow. When Duke runs the ball, they like to get a lot of Bodies in the box, with tight ends and hbacks and fullbacks and such.

That's not what has had success on us, as we are pretty big. What has had success has been spreading us out and then running like zone read against us and betting that our linebackers and lineman can't run to the play. It's a good bet.

I don't predict the future, but it wouldn't shock me at all to see Gibbs have about 130 and sims have about 70 on the ground.

To be honest, I think they will need to, as I haven't seen a crap ton of creativity or pressure from your defense so I expect armstrong to have a big game and us to score at least 30

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
He said that if you run to the sideline and get flattened out you have no chance. He said you have to be able to puncture and get north and south for success.

Well we agree on that. Our backs like to run sideline to sideline when they bounce outside the tackles. Turn it upfield! Sometimes the guy misses.

From a coaching perspective, we seem to go into games with a plan that is something like "We are going to be successful at doing what we came here to do no matter how many drives it takes". It sounded like that plan was to puncture the DLine up the middle. I hope the OC was throwing out misinformation. Some adjustments would be welcome.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
To be honest, I think they will need to, as I haven't seen a crap ton of creativity or pressure from your defense so I expect armstrong to have a big game and us to score at least 30
Completely agree with that assessment. In fact, I believe the ONLY way we win this game is to out-score UVa just as UNC did. I just have only seen our offense that successful once this year.

Jacket05

Ramblin' Wreck
FYI...Next Monday, the 18th, ACC Network documentary titled "We're #1..a look at 1990 UVA & GT Football" is at 7pm & replay at 8pm. Also, just prior is the 1991 Citrus bowl GT vs Nebraska starting at 5pm. Set your DVR or get ya popcorn ready!
That documentary was fantastic! For anyone that didn't see it or record it, they are constantly playing it on replay so I would advise looking it up.

There was one part that is still irritating. They had an image (~24 min in) from the CBS broadcast that just showed our school logos and under ours they say "Georgia Tech University"!!! :mad:

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
Also, if you guys win this one, I'm actually going to be surly, because it will strike the sweet spot of "we beat enough bad teams not to get our coach fired, but also we suck, and we're going to continue to suck".

This is what happens when you lose YET ANOTHER in-state recruit to UNf'nC because your muppet of a coach continues to think it's a better idea to recruit private schools in georgia and friggin UTAH than concentrate on our area, which includes the talent rich hampton roads area, richmond, and greater DC, which includes one of the best H.S. leagues in the country.

MAYBE IF WE RECRUITED GOOD COUNSEL INSTEAD OF SALT LAKE CITY WE COULD HAVE HAD A SHOT AT CALEB WILLIAMS.

Look at this. LOOK AT IT.

At least your fanbase ACKNOWLDEGES that it's an issue that UGA kicks your butt in-state every year. Our fanbase is all "we're looking for cultural fits". MOTHERF'ER I'M LOOKING FOR WINS.

I like to consider myself a cultured, reasonable guy, but Mendenhall is quickly making me rethink my "no religious bigotry" position.

MACK BROWN IS 127 YEARS OLD!!! HOW IS HE DESTROYING US IN RECRUITING!?!?! Meanwhile Daisy Fuente is clopping along at VT treading water, and feeling no heat because they kick our *** every year so Thanksgivingtime is always fun. But hey, we've got "succession plans" and everything is "earned not given". HOW ABOUT YOU EARN A WINNING RECORD IN CONFERENCE YOU CLOWN?!

You guys are not good, and we should beat you, and I'm scared witless we're not, but who cares because we're going to luck into 6 wins and make a bowl, and Mendenhall will get extended and eventually we'll become the UVa of the 70's and pretend that it's because we're some elite academic institution that has no place to hide dummies, and we'd never stoop to the level of UNC, and blah de blah de blah, and we'll keep doing VT favors, and they'll keep putting their foot up our tail, and in the end we'll form a conference with Vanderbilt and Duke and you and Northwestern the service academies and watch Wake Forest win the conference every year and get obliterated in a 16 team playoff in the first round.

I hope you all get food poisoning. F Scott Sisson

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Also, if you guys win this one, I'm actually going to be surly, because it will strike the sweet spot of "we beat enough bad teams not to get our coach fired, but also we suck, and we're going to continue to suck".

This is what happens when you lose YET ANOTHER in-state recruit to UNf'nC because your muppet of a coach continues to think it's a better idea to recruit private schools in georgia and friggin UTAH than concentrate on our area, which includes the talent rich hampton roads area, richmond, and greater DC, which includes one of the best H.S. leagues in the country.

MAYBE IF WE RECRUITED GOOD COUNSEL INSTEAD OF SALT LAKE CITY WE COULD HAVE HAD A SHOT AT CALEB WILLIAMS.

At least your fanbase ACKNOWLDEGES that it's an issue that UGA kicks your butt in-state every year. Our fanbase is all "we're looking for cultural fits". MOTHERF'ER I'M LOOKING FOR WINS.

I like to consider myself a cultured, reasonable guy, but Mendenhall is quickly making me rethink my "no religious bigotry" position.

MACK BROWN IS 127 YEARS OLD!!! HOW IS HE DESTROYING US IN RECRUITING!?!?! Meanwhile Daisy Fuente is clopping along at VT treading water, and feeling no heat because they kick our *** every year so Thanksgivingtime is always fun. But hey, we've got "succession plans" and everything is "earned not given". HOW ABOUT YOU EARN A WINNING RECORD IN CONFERENCE YOU CLOWN?!

You guys are not good, and we should beat you, and I'm scared witless we're not, but who cares because we're going to luck into 6 wins and make a bowl, and Mendenhall will get extended and eventually we'll become the UVa of the 70's and pretend that it's because we're some elite academic institution that has no place to hide dummies, and we'd never stoop to the level of UNC, and blah de blah de blah, and we'll keep doing VT favors, and they'll keep putting their foot up our tail, and in the end we'll form a conference with Vanderbilt and Duke and you and Northwestern the service academies and watch Wake Forest win the conference every year and get obliterated in a 16 team playoff in the first round.

You doing ok bud?

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer

Try to be upbeat, Maybe we will beat yall and it will send your team into a tailspin, lose the rest of their games, get blown out by VT and Coach Bronco gets fired.

ps. Cavman called, he misses you and wants you to come home

Techster

Helluva Engineer

We went through this with GA recruits for a while as well. It wasn't for lack of trying though. For different reasons, but it seems GT is starting to make a dent in GA recruiting again. It use to be that we would barely scratch the top 50 recruits in GA, but now we are getting "our fair share". If Mendenhall doesn't start emphasizing Virginia recruits, and recruits in the Baltimore/DC area, especially the talent rich Hampton Roads area (has UVA historically been successful there?) he's basically giving up one of the richest recruiting areas in the country. HUGE mistake.

On another note, Scott Sisson is a saint. Watch it...or GT fans will cut you! (Not really, we'll just come to your house and steal anything with a "T" on it.)

Golden Tornadoes

Jolly Good Fellow

That's a lot of UNC blue at the top. We understand the struggle good sir, I empathize with you for the most part. However, I only have fond memories of the Great Scott :cool:

slugboy

Staff member

Ahh, the Daisy Fuentes reference :love:

Ack, we have no Daisy Fuentes gifs. 😢

1634909004579.jpeg

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
If Mendenhall doesn't start emphasizing Virginia recruits, and recruits in the Baltimore/DC area, especially the talent rich Hampton Roads area (has UVA historically been successful there?) he's basically giving up one of the richest recruiting areas in the country. HUGE mistake.

As recently as 2014

GUESS WHAT HAPPENED IN 2015?? HERE'S A HINT, IT INVOLVES UTAH.