Ga Tech at UVA - 730PM

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Well, this is what he looks like:
8676099.jpg

With that knowledge in play, I'd say your best bets are Guinness or maybe some Whiskey (or, if you're looking to do it on the cheap, a few grenade bottles of Mickeys)
ah Mickey's Holy Hand Grenade.. many nights were lost breaking those codes in a misspent youth.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Wow. We havent been very good for the most part at either (actually three things) that are your keys.
Quite right, but if anyone has better ideas, I would certainly entertain them. At this point, I am past being pleased with moral victories especially with teams like UVA which while certainly entertaining are nowhere near being a great or even very good team. One poster described them as "mediocre". I would not go that far as they have excellent receivers, a quarterback with tremendous accuracy and the confidence to thread the needle and an experienced offensive line that excels in pass blocking. They may as well because that is about all they are going to do anyway.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
Quite right, but if anyone has better ideas, I would certainly entertain them. At this point, I am past being pleased with moral victories especially with teams like UVA which while certainly entertaining are nowhere near being a great or even very good team. One poster described them as "mediocre". I would not go that far as they have excellent receivers, a quarterback with tremendous accuracy and the confidence to thread the needle and an experienced offensive line that excels in pass blocking. They may as well because that is about all they are going to do anyway.
I actually would call us mediocre. We're two coinflip field goals from being 3-4 and we got boatraced by a mediocre UNC team. I think you think armstrong is better than he is. He's good, for sure, but you put pressure on him, he cracks like any other QB.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
The yards gained by UVA on first and second down must be throttled.

We have to camp out at the "money down" or we will need an an awakening of a solid ball control offense to avoid disaster.
If we get to money down we at least are slowing them down. That builds our confidence and reduces theirs.

Add a little ball control and we will be hanging around.

Then uva fumbles and we win!

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Baseball is the best sport to listen to I’ve come across. There isn’t much the other team does defensively (expect maybe the cubs deploying an outfield shift) and offensively it’s just a one on one against the batter and pitcher. Tennis is similarly good to listen to without seeing.

Agree. Baseball has very little action but lots of drama made better by the announcers who are vey much into history and the the culture of baseball. I prefer watching football with no sound, especially if Demetra is commentating.

Cycling is far better to 1) do or 2) watch on TV where commentators are more like baseball than ever try to watch in person.

I think we win if we get one more turnover than UVa. Last week I thought we could beat inferior Duke with one less turnover. Once again, coaching turnovers are in my count where we run a stupid play on 4th on mid range on our side of the field. I still haven't gotten over the Pitt 4th down call on 4th and 3 on about the 45. Run up the middle with a new QB with a play that hasn't worked much in the game.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
I watched the UVA/Puke game. The Cavs boat-raced a team Tech had a very hard time beating. The game is in Scott Stadium. The place where many a good Tech football season has gone to die.

I'd say we will be lucky to win. Very lucky. But then the Braves are up 2-0 …
If you watched it you also saw Duke do pretty much everything wrong a team can do then. Dropped TD pass, missed FG, roughing the kicker, TOS, dropped INTs, failing to come up with multiple fumbles. Not sure how much was UVA boat racing them and how much was Duke giving the game away.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I actually would call us mediocre. We're two coinflip field goals from being 3-4 and we got boatraced by a mediocre UNC team. I think you think armstrong is better than he is. He's good, for sure, but you put pressure on him, he cracks like any other QB.
His coach, not an unbiased source to be sure, just said he was the "best quarterback in the ACC" or words to that effect. He is absolutely fearless in throwing the ball into traffic. Gets away with it most of the time it would seem.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
did not know most of their starters were sr. on offense.

FB_jgqWWYAAu8UD
Woods is that big tight end. Armstrong will throw the ball up to him or Thompson trusting they will come down with it. Their defensive line is big but tired noticeably as the game went on. I am more concerned about that offensive line than anything else. How are we going to get pressure on him?

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
If you watched it you also saw Duke do pretty much everything wrong a team can do then. Dropped TD pass, missed FG, roughing the kicker, TOS, dropped INTs, failing to come up with multiple fumbles. Not sure how much was UVA boat racing them and how much was Duke giving the game away.
The final score was … 48 - 0. Maybe the better term would have been "curb stomping".

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Getting pressure on Armstrong is simply priorities 1, 2 and 3 for me. If he has as much time as Pickett had it will end up in the same result. He'll just sit back and pick us apart and they won't turn the ball over because there is no pressure being applied to create TO's.

About the only thing I am confident in is that we are not going to get pressure on Armstrong against that OL if we just do the 3-3-5 send 3 and drop 8. Our DL is not strong enough for that. We'll have to commit 4-5 guys to coming to have a shot.

The UNC game happened the way it did because UNC's OL is not very good and we were able to consistently get pressure on Howell and he made mistakes. Howell also runs alot more than Pickett or Armstrong so you get more chances to hit him and more chances to create TO's by fumble.

Our offense has been getting somewhat better the last few games. Though it feels like that is due largely to explosion plays, not driving the ball on long marches.

Jmonty71

Banned
1Brennan Armstrong721032963.828248.68.9196151.3

Just to let these stats sit in on how good of a passer this dude is.

SplitGCmpAttPctYdsTDAttYdsAvgTDPlaysYdsAvgPassRushPenTotNo.YdsFumIntTot
Offense730.348.462.5405.92.729.6119.94.11.778.0525.76.718.76.02.327.07.060.30.60.91.4
Defense717.930.658.4225.01.637.9188.15.01.468.4413.16.09.48.72.720.96.762.90.60.61.1
Difference+12.4+17.8+4.1+180.9+1.1-8.3-68.2-0.9+0.3+9.6+112.6+0.7+9.3-2.7-0.4+6.1+0.3-2.60.0+0.3+0.3

Another set of stats to not overlook.. While they are better than average on offense, they are also better than average on defense.

UVA is probably one of the more sound teams we've face, so far, this year. Given, we have ND and Ugag later... which both are better than UVA....

I cannot say that I am overly eager for this weekend's game.
Our stats aren't as impressive. While I think we match up with them defensively... We do not come close to them on offense.

Why am I seeing so many people thinking we can win this one? Am I missing something??? Just curious if it's me missing something.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
First of all, we should be in no position to overlook anyone. I would expect Uva to win this game due to the factors you mention plus the problems we have had up there over time. The biggest reason for hope rests on the fact that Uva is an ACC Coastal team as is Georgia Tech. So anything can happen on any given Saturday.

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
UVA is 5-2. Their loses are against UNC (before their mid-season melt down), and a good Wake team.

They sit in 2nd in the coastal. If we win, do we land in 2nd in the coastal? I think we do... We'd be at 3-2 in conference (both UNC and UVA would be 3-3). That's interesting.

The only reason to be optimistic is because I watched some of their game against Miami. Both teams looked awful.

/

slugboy

Staff member
Getting pressure on Armstrong is simply priorities 1, 2 and 3 for me. If he has as much time as Pickett had it will end up in the same result. He'll just sit back and pick us apart and they won't turn the ball over because there is no pressure being applied to create TO's.

About the only thing I am confident in is that we are not going to get pressure on Armstrong against that OL if we just do the 3-3-5 send 3 and drop 8. Our DL is not strong enough for that. We'll have to commit 4-5 guys to coming to have a shot.

The UNC game happened the way it did because UNC's OL is not very good and we were able to consistently get pressure on Howell and he made mistakes. Howell also runs alot more than Pickett or Armstrong so you get more chances to hit him and more chances to create TO's by fumble.

Our offense has been getting somewhat better the last few games. Though it feels like that is due largely to explosion plays, not driving the ball on long marches.
We aren't that explosive--we're just not really all that efficient, either. Here's Duke v GT:

ExplosivenessGTDuke
Total Plays77106
Scrimmage Plays6491
Explosive Plays4 (6%)4 (4%)
  When Passing (EPA > 2.4)4 (15%)4 (13%)
  When Rushing (EPA > 1.8)0 (0%)0 (0%)

That's 4 pass plays (and I bet you remember them). 77 yards to Gibbs, 36 yards to Sanders, 39 to Carter, 18 yard TD to McGowan.

GT-UNC was more that way, but on the ground (and a lot of that was Sims)
ExplosivenessUNCGT
Total Plays8873
Scrimmage Plays7462
Explosive Plays6 (8%)7 (11%)
  When Passing (EPA > 2.4)3 (6%)2 (10%)
  When Rushing (EPA > 1.8)3 (11%)5 (12%)

Pitt-GT looks like GT-Duke. Pitt is just very efficient, and we're very not efficient
ExplosivenessPittGT
Total Plays8575
Scrimmage Plays7661
Explosive Plays4 (5%)4 (7%)
  When Passing (EPA > 2.4)3 (8%)4 (12%)
  When Rushing (EPA > 1.8)1 (2%)0 (0%)

And our F+ (FEI merged with SP+). We're more explosive than we are efficient, but mainly we're just not efficient.

TeamRecF+OF+RkDF+RkFEIRkSP+Rk
Georgia Tech7-Mar-0.44-0.4286-0.1573-0.43101-0.575