Ga Tech at UVA - 730PM

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
What was game time when Soctt Sisson ripped UVA's heart out when they were ranked No.1? It was either late PM kickoff or early evening.
My ticket stub sats Kickoff TBA, but it was definitely a mid afternoon kickoff as others have said. I remember there were tons of bowl game representatives mingling outside the stadium handing out info on their bowl games, because they figured both teams were going to bowls that year and they wanted to drum up fan interest in going to *their* bowl. That was before the bowl arrangements that exist now and the teams could have wound up in almost any bowl...(except the Rose)

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
People think I pay too much for DirectV & AT& T ,but they deliver!
We have ATT Uverse and pay about $165 for internet and their mid-level TV package. I have everything I could ever watch with a remote control that changes channels with the blink of an eye. No waiting for streaming to load up. We stream some things like Ted Lasson now (was GOT) but I'm just plain old used to instant gratification with that remote control.

ChristoGT

Jolly Good Fellow
All I recall about the UVA game was that the Atlanta Wine Festival was going on (and I was attending) at the World Congress Center and a group of us found a 12" B&W television and watched at one of the booths (drinking wine of course). The festival ended and we got kicked out so had to run across to the Omni and go in the bar to watch the final kick. Must have been just after 6pm.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
Does UVA’s 48-0 shutout of Duke tell us anything about our matchup with UVA next Saturday?
Imo no, because football is all about matchups. I think we are better defending a passing shotgun spread vs. a running one.

Duke turned the ball over 4 times, whereas they only did once against us, on the last drive.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
My ticket stub sats Kickoff TBA, but it was definitely a mid afternoon kickoff as others have said. I remember there were tons of bowl game representatives mingling outside the stadium handing out info on their bowl games, because they figured both teams were going to bowls that year and they wanted to drum up fan interest in going to *their* bowl. That was before the bowl arrangements that exist now and the teams could have wound up in almost any bowl...(except the Rose)
As ACC champs, we were locked into the Citrus Bowl because we weren't ranked high enough by a certain date in early November to get out of the Citrus and the Orange wanted ND anyway. The week after the deadline, we moved up to no.2. UVA accepted the Sugar Bowl with one defeat and Clemson went to the New Years Day bowl in Tampa. Clemson defeated the B1G co-champs who had defeated Colorado. And severely beat up UVA took the SEC champs to the last minute. The ACC was loaded that year.

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
As ACC champs, we were locked into the Citrus Bowl because we weren't ranked high enough by a certain date in early November to get out of the Citrus and the Orange wanted ND anyway. The week after the deadline, we moved up to no.2. UVA accepted the Sugar Bowl with one defeat and Clemson went to the New Years Day bowl in Tampa. Clemson defeated the B1G co-champs who had defeated Colorado. And severely beat up UVA took the SEC champs to the last minute. The ACC was loaded that year.
The ACC was good but thank god we didn't have to play UM who destroyed Texas in the Cotton Bowl and forever after were known as thugs for their parade of unsportsmanlike conduct fouls after they took a big lead. UM had over 200 yards in penalties but won 46-3. As Jim Nantz said, UM did not deserve to jump GT. Harper was lead ref who I knew.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
The ACC was good but thank god we didn't have to play UM who destroyed Texas in the Cotton Bowl and forever after were known as thugs for their parade of unsportsmanlike conduct fouls after they took a big lead. UM had over 200 yards in penalties but won 46-3. As Jim Nantz said, UM did not deserve to jump GT. Harper was lead ref who I knew.
I remember a major Las Vegas handicapper saying Tech would probably have beaten any team in the country except Miami.
But to my mind the biggest reason Miami didn't deserve #1 is because they had two losses.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
All true. But going into that UVa game, we weren't ACC Champs and the other bowls were all there recruiting both teams fans like crazy. Handing out stickers and swag of all types. I seem to recall Sugar Bowl was one, and a ton of the 'lesser' bowls as well.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Seeing UVA totally dominate a Duke team we barely got by made me throw up in my mouth a little bit. Not feeling too positive about our chances in Charlottesville this coming Saturday but we got a puncher's chance if we don't beat ourselves.

Go Jackets!

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Seeing UVA totally dominate a Duke team we barely got by made me throw up in my mouth a little bit. Not feeling too positive about our chances in Charlottesville this coming Saturday but we got a puncher's chance if we don't beat ourselves.

Go Jackets!
Virginia opening -8 against the Jackets. I think the Duke blowout added about 3 or 4 points to the spread.

green&gold

Jolly Good Fellow
If we get at least 2 turnovers, then we will be in this game. If we beat the spread, then I'll be somewhat happy. This football season has shown, week to week, you just don't know what's going to happen.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Does UVA’s 48-0 shutout of Duke tell us anything about our matchup with UVA next Saturday?
No. This is just my opinion but when Duke lost their game with us through a mix of bad coaching decisions and a foolish holding penalty that was it for them. Stick a fork in them they were already done by the time they played UVA. The week off could not have come at a better time for us. On the other hand, the Charlottesville House of Horrors is, unfortunately, very much a reality with Tech. This game will be decided, again in my opinion, by two main factors: Pressure by Tech on the UVA quarterback is a must. Keep in mind though that they have no running game worth mentioning and they have an experienced, tough, offensive line that is outstanding in pass blocking. No other team on our schedule, not even UNC, is as one dimensional as the Cavs. The other main factor is Tech's running game. We must run the football, limit their possessions, and score TDs. Field goals mean nothing in this game. Multiple three and outs will turn this game into a track meet as they are averaging over 500 yards a game in total offense. We can beat this team in a football game but not in a track meet.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Virginia opening -8 against the Jackets. I think the Duke blowout added about 3 or 4 points to the spread.
They are favored by 8 points but I think we can beat this team. Make them play football instead of letting every SOB that is an eligible receiver to run scot free through the secondary like it was fraternity flag football. The one way to let this game get out of hand early is for Tech to have either turnovers or multiple three and outs. UVA is a good team but if we play our game they are not 8 points better. The quarterback (Armstrong?) is a precision passer who can put the ball in tight windows but, he is not particularly mobile, not near the athlete that Pickens and Howell are. Hit him early and often. For the love of God, please do not rush 3 and drop 8. The strength of this team is its offensive line, far better than UNC, its gunslinger quarterback and a passel of good receivers and a huge, mobile tight end. Wicks, in particular, has wheels and will high point balls and they have a short guy that does not appear to be that fast but he gets open all the time. Thompson is a huge former quarterback that they use in a variety of ways. Got to watch him all the time. They will pass, pass, pass some more, then run a play or two and its back to passing.

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
No. This is just my opinion but when Duke lost their game with us through a mix of bad coaching decisions and a foolish holding penalty that was it for them. Stick a fork in them they were already done by the time they played UVA. The week off could not have come at a better time for us. On the other hand, the Charlottesville House of Horrors is, unfortunately, very much a reality with Tech. This game will be decided, again in my opinion, by two main factors: Pressure by Tech on the UVA quarterback is a must. Keep in mind though that they have no running game worth mentioning and they have an experienced, tough, offensive line that is outstanding in pass blocking. No other team on our schedule, not even UNC, is as one dimensional as the Cavs. The other main factor is Tech's running game. We must run the football, limit their possessions, and score TDs. Field goals mean nothing in this game. Multiple three and outs will turn this game into a track meet as they are averaging over 500 yards a game in total offense. We can beat this team in a football game but not in a track meet.
Minor nit-pick. Usually, in a football game, a “track meet” is a game where both teams seem to score at will, and the game is a race to see which team has the most points on the board at the end of the game.

I don’t think that is what you meant. ;)
1634499658447.gif

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
They are favored by 8 points but I think we can beat this team. Make them play football instead of letting every SOB that is an eligible receiver to run scot free through the secondary like it was fraternity flag football. The one way to let this game get out of hand early is for Tech to have either turnovers or multiple three and outs. UVA is a good team but if we play our game they are not 8 points better. The quarterback (Armstrong?) is a precision passer who can put the ball in tight windows but, he is not particularly mobile, not near the athlete that Pickens and Howell are. Hit him early and often. For the love of God, please do not rush 3 and drop 8. The strength of this team is its offensive line, far better than UNC, its gunslinger quarterback and a passel of good receivers and a huge, mobile tight end. Wicks, in particular, has wheels and will high point balls and they have a short guy that does not appear to be that fast but he gets open all the time. Thompson is a huge former quarterback that they use in a variety of ways. Got to watch him all the time. They will pass, pass, pass some more, then run a play or two and its back to passing.
We could make it a game if our D can get pressure on QB. I don’t see that happening, so my early thought is >8 point loss. Hope my early thought is wrong.
At all costs, we have got to get pressure on Armstrong. We cannot drop back and play pass defense and expect him to do anything but pick us apart. Hopefully we can do that with 4 rushing, or at most 5. But whatever it takes, he has got to feel the heat or we're toast.

This would be a great game for Keion White to be ready to play.

Last edited:

slugboy

Staff member
So, it's now UVA week. Let's look at last week's game between UVA and Duke

Some game stats are from ESPN. Others are from GameOnPaper. I'll start with the QBs

First, Duke's main QB (Holmberg) got a pretty low rating. He had a 59% completion rate, but two interceptions and no TDs. He had 20 completions, at 6.7 yards per completion (3.9/attempt).

Total yardage was 325 yards (215 passing/110 rushing), and no TDs.

C/ATTYDSAVGTDINTQBR
Gunnar Holmberg20/341343.90229.8
Riley Leonard8/12816.80061.3
TEAM28/462154.702--

On the other hand, Armstrong had a pretty good game. Most of the TDs came on the ground though.

C/ATTYDSAVGTDINTQBR
Brennan Armstrong25/453648.12078.0
Team0/100.000--
TEAM25/463647.920--

UVA had 528 total yards (364 through the air). Time of possession was almost even.

How did Duke lose so badly?

In this case, don't look at 3rd and 4th down efficiency for UVA. Seeing that Duke was 9 of 21 while UVA was 3 of 11 for far more yards and TDs should tell you that UVA had a great 1st and 2nd down efficiency. They largely never got to 3rd down; UVA had 29 first downs, and only 3 of them came from 3rd or 4th down conversions. Duke had 18 first downs, with 9 of them happening on 3rd or 4th down conversions. Duke had to fight a lot harder in this game. Also, Duke killed themselves with turnovers and penalties.

I'm not saying Duke would have won by cutting way down on the penalties and the turnovers, but they surely didn't help.

MatchupDukeUVA
1st Downs1829
3rd down efficiency7-173-11
4th down efficiency2-40-0
Total Yards325528
Passing215364
Comp-Att28-4625-46
Yards per pass4.77.9
Interceptions thrown20
Rushing110164
Rushing Attempts3533
Yards per rush3.15.0