Ga Tech 12 Sr in 17; 23 18.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Post Duke and Uga My hope was restored by Colorado's post of the number of seniors that uga had on roster. Depending on list you get 25 to 30. They will have a large sr class next year as well !.

BUT at least we are trending stronger in seniors next year. I sure think this helps. Did not check our projections for rising soph to juniors.

Also, I did note on rumble seat that we had 10 players leave the program in 2016. Ouch!

LEFT HERE IN HOPES WE CAN NOT DISCUSS BUDGETS, COACH BAD, COACH GOOD, ETC in this thread.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Post Duke and Uga My hope was restored by Colorado's post of the number of seniors that uga had on roster. Depending on list you get 25 to 30. They will have a large sr class next year as well !.

BUT at least we are trending stronger in seniors next year. I sure think this helps. Did not check our projections for rising soph to juniors.

Also, I did note on rumble seat that we had 10 players leave the program in 2016. Ouch!

LEFT HERE IN HOPES WE CAN NOT DISCUSS BUDGETS, COACH BAD, COACH GOOD, ETC in this thread.

It is amazing that they have that many seniors. I thought last year's record was because Richt didn't leave them any quality players and they had to completely rebuild.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
Having upperclassmen is good, but having speed, strength, size and skill are more important. Our offense will get better when we are not one dimensional. Our defense will get better when we play more aggressively. Here is hoping for an improvement in 2018.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
It is amazing that they have that many seniors. I thought last year's record was because Richt didn't leave them any quality players and they had to completely rebuild.

exactly this. its unreal how the narrative changes.Basically, outside 3 players, that whole starting 22 is Richt recruits. LOL.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
According to their roster, uga had 26 seniors this year. They had 26 Juniors, 15 sophomores, and 35 freshmen. That's 102 players, so this obviously includes walk-ons.
Good point.
When I scrolled the list of uga players it looked like a lot of seniors were ol men. They could have been backups.

Wonder what percent of gt junior to seniors got significant playing time.

Cam

Helluva Engineer
Looking at the depth chart for the SEC championship game, uga loses senior starters in Chubb (RB), Michel (RB), Payne (FB), Wims (WR), Wynn (LT), Sims (LT), Blazevich (TE), Atkins (NT), Carter (DE), Bellamy (LB), Parrish (CB), Sanders (S), Davis (Nickel), and Nizialek (Punter). My guess is that Jacob Eason will transfer, but with Ramsey graduating there will only be 1 scholarship QB on roster if Eason leaves. 2 on roster if Justin Fields doesn't flip to Florida. Roquan Smith is definitely going to declare for the draft as well, his stock is pretty high right now.

Why having a Senior laden team helps. Well first, look at our 2014 team. But the real reason is maturity, and physical maturity, a 22 year old is just stronger than an 18 year old. In fact a 32 year old man is stronger than a 18-20 year old.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Yes. Inexperience was a problem this year.

We made a lot of how many of our people had to play in 2015 as freshmen and how well they did. Problem = they are still true sophs. Take the OL, for example. Does anyone here doubt that our true soph starters will be bigger and more experienced next year and the year after? I, an old (believe it) OL, sure don't; I know what age means for strength and size and what game experience means for skills.

And yes with a bullet: losing so many experienced players before the year started was a giant problem. What would our record have been with Marshall and either Klock or Fromayen at OT? Or with Mills at BB? Or with Jordan at QB? Well, imho, better, though by how much is even more speculative.

This isn't a knock on TaQuon or Kirvonte. They performed well above expectations and we look good at those positions next year. But it would have been a less nail biting year if we had not lost so many experienced players before the year started.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Why having a Senior laden team helps. Well first, look at our 2014 team. But the real reason is maturity, and physical maturity, a 22 year old is just stronger than an 18 year old. In fact a 32 year old man is stronger than a 18-20 year old.
Yep. I used to lift weights Olympic style as a hobby. (I was never very good at it, but I got very strong.) The rule for "heavy athletics", as it is called, is that you don't really get strong enough to be a world class competitor until you are in your early 30's. That's when you begin to lose the definition of youth and your muscles begin to bulk up instead. You start to miss speed, but your strength goes through the roof.

This helps explain the differences between college and pro football.

sgreer

Jolly Good Fellow
The defense was full of Seniors and that did not seem to help much (especially vs. Duke, UVA, and the team from Athens). Offense does perform better with experienced players though.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
As long our seniors are getting knocked around by underclassmen I wont get too excited.
If the 23 seniors in 18 are knocked around, should we surrender to permanent door mat status? Wf, duke, virginia, pitt have good coaches who seem to attract better athletes and and then coach them up. Next year with 11 years and a strong senior class we better finish strong.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
With average expectable improvement, we should be as good or better for every position group other than secondary next year. And I think secondary has the potential on the team.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
The defense was full of Seniors and that did not seem to help much (especially vs. Duke, UVA, and the team from Athens). Offense does perform better with experienced players though.
I agree. Knowing where to go is only half the battle. Being able to get there and do the job when you arrive is the other half and that requires speed, strength, skill and athleticism. We were lacking in those areas.