Ga Southern

GTJackets

Ramblin' Wreck
They were that day!

Ok, I understand you're a Southern fan. My post had nothing to do with the game later today or the outcome. I'm not talking about whether GT or GaSo is better or even saying that either team will win. But I think you're missing the point of the last few posts.

Won the game != better team

It just doesn't. App St may have played harder that day. May have played better that day. Wanted it more? Probably. A very good team? Absolutely. No way were they the best team on that field that day though. Sometimes you just catch a better team sleeping and pull off the upset. They deserved the win and I was very happy for them.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
Nealy said they were prepping for cut blocks. GS uses more zone now. You wont see OL diving at knees. So, he should be happy! I actually think it's an advantage that Monken is gone and so is his version of the option in terms of teams prepping for GS. Looking at last year's tape won't big as big a help that's for sure.

That's why teams will look heavy at past SHSU video to get ready for the Fritzbone (yeah ... that's one stupid. But I can't think of anything else at 1 am and the new offense doesn't have a catchy name - yet).
They won't just review this year's footage. They have resources and access to go back quite a ways to figure out what an opposing coach may do. Saban is rumored to have looked at Manti T'eo's eighth grade film to break him down before the Bama-ND BCS title game. I don't think he saw his girlfriend in the stands then, either. But I digress....

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
It's good to be a Ga Southern fan for this game. Really only upside if the game is close or heaven forbid they win.

For GT fans, a solid win will feel good, but by the fourth quarter I'll be watching a lot of the VT/ECU game when our plays aren't being executed. A really close game will feel like a loss given the teams we have yet to face. A loss will be devastating.

I think this line with at +19 is along with the 91% chance of winning is a little high but not by more than 5 points. But as we know from beating Clemson and other top 10 teams at the time, nothing beats the highs of being a big underdog and coming through (or the lows of the Clemson fans crying in the stands). http://www.knology.net/jashburn/football/archive/teams/tm_9.html But

str8shooter

Georgia Tech Fan
I sometimes wonder how many guys on this site ever played the game. Football games are won by teams and not individuals. As Erk Russell so eloquently explained it to his players, "BIG TEAM - Little Me" and "There is no I in Team." My point in saying that App St was the better team on that day in Ann Arbor was simply this. On that day they were the better team. They won the game, not with the play of an individual, but as a team. You can have a TEAM of two and three star guys who play together and you can have a TEAM of four and five star kids who are about themselves, and the lower rated TEAM will win more often than not. So this is where we are. On paper, GT is obviously the superior team. They have bigger, higher rated players and more of them. But football games are not played on paper. If GT, with their superior athletes plays better today as a TEAM, they will likely win. But if GS, as a TEAM, performs better today, they have a solid shot at a victory.

GTJackets

Ramblin' Wreck
I sometimes wonder how many fans in general think that if you didn't play football at a certain level you obviously can't understand the concept of a TEAM sport, star rankings or an upset.

App St outscored Mich in one quarter that day. Does that mean they were only better for that portion of the game? Was Michigan the better team for the other 3? Or was App St the better team that day because they were SO much better than Mich in that one quarter? And if they don't block that field goal, does that one play make Michigan the better team again?

I'm just trying to understand the rules of college football since I never played at that level. Maybe I can pass your expertise along to Coach Johnson since he and I are in the same category in that aspect.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I sometimes wonder how many guys on this site ever played the game. Football games are won by teams and not individuals. As Erk Russell so eloquently explained it to his players, "BIG TEAM - Little Me" and "There is no I in Team." My point in saying that App St was the better team on that day in Ann Arbor was simply this. On that day they were the better team. They won the game, not with the play of an individual, but as a team. You can have a TEAM of two and three star guys who play together and you can have a TEAM of four and five star kids who are about themselves, and the lower rated TEAM will win more often than not. So this is where we are. On paper, GT is obviously the superior team. They have bigger, higher rated players and more of them. But football games are not played on paper. If GT, with their superior athletes plays better today as a TEAM, they will likely win. But if GS, as a TEAM, performs better today, they have a solid shot at a victory.

FWIW, there is an "I" in "BIG Team"