Ga Southern

BoroJacket

Georgia Tech Fan
He was careless, but our corners played pretty well. He made some incredible throws in the first half, but they were very risky also. I do think Tulane would beat them though. GSU has become very overrated since giving Bama a hard time in a half a few years ago. They have showed up for the big games ans lost some of the lesser ones. We wont be over looking them, we really need to have a breakout game this Saturday. There's no reason why we shouldn't beat them by 21+.

Don't get me wrong. GT should them by 21+. I will be pulling for GT. GSU will not rollover and give up though.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I don't want to disparage GSU at all, especially in terms of talent etc. One factor that I think favors GT heavily is that our defense faces the option very often in practice, and not just against the scout team. Plus, we just saw a very similar offensive scheme just two weeks ago. You can argue that we didn't play all that well on D against Wofford, but don't be naive enough to think that watching that film and fixing the errors isn't going to help us. I have been wrong so many times in the past, but I don't think this contest lines up well for GSU at all. The Eagles won't be catching a team with their pants down (in terms of option prep on defense) like some of the contests they have played in the SEC in recent years, or NCST this year.

Our offense is a sleeping giant waiting to bust free - 38 points each in two relatively poorly played games. Our defense has speed, if not brawn, and is well versed against the option. Anything can happen in a football contest, but I would say the odds are steeply in our favor. 80% chance to win or better for the Jackets.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I don't want to disparage GSU at all, especially in terms of talent etc. One factor that I think favors GT heavily is that our defense faces the option very often in practice, and not just against the scout team. Plus, we just saw a very similar offensive scheme just two weeks ago. You can argue that we didn't play all that well on D against Wofford, but don't be naive enough to think that watching that film and fixing the errors isn't going to help us. I have been wrong so many times in the past, but I don't think this contest lines up well for GSU at all. The Eagles won't be catching a team with their pants down (in terms of option prep on defense) like some of the contests they have played in the SEC in recent years, or NCST this year.

Our offense is a sleeping giant waiting to bust free - 38 points each in two relatively poorly played games. Our defense has speed, if not brawn, and is well versed against the option. Anything can happen in a football contest, but I would say the odds are steeply in our favor. 80% chance to win or better for the Jackets.

Well our D got 1 of our TDs vs Tulane. Neither O nor D has matched last yr vs comparable competition. Still, I agree we should handle Southern.

Stonewall

Jolly Good Fellow

Nealy said they were prepping for cut blocks. GS uses more zone now. You wont see OL diving at knees. So, he should be happy! I actually think it's an advantage that Monken is gone and so is his version of the option in terms of teams prepping for GS. Looking at last year's tape won't big as big a help that's for sure.

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
GS will be a tough opponent no doubt about it. They have always been able to bring in good athletes. Winning NCs does that for you, for sure. I highly doubt CPJ lets our team overlook GS. They are going to give us their best shot, and we better not shoot ourselves in the foot. GS > Wofford and we saw how that game turned out. We must execute flawlessly and not give up huge plays. GS has some real athletes on OFF, maybe more so than we'd like to admit. I hope our D comes to play tomorrow. They will make the difference in the game. Both teams can score alot of points, its up to who can stop the other more.

Haha! Let's just say it's not the preferred blocking style for OL in zone schemes. Will some do it on certain plays/situations? Of course. But, more like your conventional Os. GS runs zone mainly. The days of OL cut blocks as a staple bread and butter block are gone from GS.

This game will be over at the coin toss.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Well, I just read through their whole thread. They have some confident fans. God Bless em. Now, obviously, there's no transitive property in football, and teams do get better from one year to the next. Still, here's another set of data points to consider. According to football outsiders F/+, Tulane was #70, #105 Off, #29 Def. NC State was #92, #100 Off, #68 Def.

On the down side, our D has given up 3 scores to two less than respectable offenses based on last year (FCS and #105 FBS). On the upside, Southern played even with a team that was not very good at all last year. If this game is close, it will not look good.

Oh wow. I guess I must have missed that they lost. I mean it's only been posted on here 20 times. Or, like most people, I can understand the fact that one game doesn't indicate that a team is better than another.

What? Then what else does indicate it? If they had been better, they would have been the winner. That is how this works.

Stonewall

Jolly Good Fellow
So glad this week is almost over. So SICK of reading about Southern. CPJ is going to keep the throttle on for this one.
This is what college football is all about! You throw a bunch of 18-22 year old kids into battle hoping your team's kids show up to play more than the other guy's. Then, most preen their feathers or cry in their beer afterwards depending upon the outcome. :D

thwgjacket

What? Then what else does indicate it? If they had been better, they would have been the winner. That is how this works.
So the year JMU beat VT and then VT won the ACC JMU was better? The result of a single game is who was better/caught more breaks that day. The score does not always reflect the better team. NCSU is awful. They lost every ACC game by double digits last year and look worse this year. Using your logic "upsets" aren't a real thing and any team that loses in an upset is automatically the better team at all times. Is that what you're saying?

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
You don't have to be the better team to win. You just have to be better on the day that you play. There is a big difference between the two imo. It wouldn't be hard to find countless examples of inferior teams who have won against better teams. It happens all the time. Consequences of wins and losses are final and have great meaning. However, it is trends and groupings of results that more accurately determine who the superior teams are.