Ga Southern

str8shooter

Georgia Tech Fan
I love the way that posters refer to things about GS that took place last season. It should be noted that GS played most of the season with as many as 19 scholarship athletes out due to injury. They beat Florida with 47 scholarship players making the trip. The GS team is very healthy now and it is a totally different team than in 2013. They have a good number of three star players on their roster. GT fans seem to think that just because GS is transitioning into the FBS this season and playing an FBS schedule for the first time, they don't belong on the field with an ACC team. Trust me when I say that GS is plenty big enough, plenty experienced enough and most definitely fast enough to be on that field. GT may win Saturday, but there will be a lot of surprised fans when this one is over.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I love the way that posters refer to things about GS that took place last season. It should be noted that GS played most of the season with as many as 19 scholarship athletes out due to injury. They beat Florida with 47 scholarship players making the trip. The GS team is very healthy now and it is a totally different team than in 2013. They have a good number of three star players on their roster. GT fans seem to think that just because GS is transitioning into the FBS this season and playing an FBS schedule for the first time, they don't belong on the field with an ACC team. Trust me when I say that GS is plenty big enough, plenty experienced enough and most definitely fast enough to be on that field. GT may win Saturday, but there will be a lot of surprised fans when this one is over.

After our last few months of attrition and their transition build-up, I think we have the same number on scholarship. I don't undervalue them, but I hope we destroy them.

Stonewall

Jolly Good Fellow

but, GS lost to wofford last year. GT beat wofford. GT will own GS . . .

BTW, wofford's DL averaged 260 . . .

GS's DL averages 295.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
he's in the GS hall of fame. his picture is on a mural in the new football operations center. doubt they'll whitewash it, haha!

Inducted the same day as Pat Douglas, Brendan Douglas' dad, with Josh Nesbitt having a front row seat to watch it at halftime.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
He was careless, but our corners played pretty well. He made some incredible throws in the first half, but they were very risky also. I do think Tulane would beat them though. GSU has become very overrated since giving Bama a hard time in a half a few years ago. They have showed up for the big games ans lost some of the lesser ones. We wont be over looking them, we really need to have a breakout game this Saturday. There's no reason why we shouldn't beat them by 21+.

in the SoCon, Samford, Furman, Wofford and App weren't the lesser games last year, even though App was putrid (and boatraced Southern. That was just unforgivable. But not nearly as unforgivable as losing at home to Furman.)
Southern did go to three straight semifinal games, and if they had had a kicking game, could have beaten NDSU - and would have beaten App at home that year (maybe the angriest I've ever been leaving a Southern home game).
I think Southern's speed would be too much for Tulane's D. This is a pretty good Southern team. Still have qualms about them defensively and their depth at RB. And the kicking game.

jchens_GT

Ramblin' Wreck
but, GS lost to wofford last year. GT beat wofford. GT will own GSU...
I think that we all agree that the transitive property does not apply to college football, especially across the span of two seasons. Southern will bring their A game, but I fully expect Tech to do the same. CPJ won't let his guys sleep on this one.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder

I agree....but disagree on what fanbase will be surprised.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
The relationship CPJ has with GSU will do two things on Saturday: prevent the team from overlooking a weaker team (he won't let them) and prevent GT from embarrassing GSU (he won't run up the score). Other than that, I expect this to be at least a 21 point game by the end of the 3rd Quarter.

thwgjacket

i'm a GS alum and season ticket holder. :D

i grew up a tech fan in cobb county and parents had season tickets most seasons. went to southern and, yeah, i'm an eagle. GT has always been my go-to FBS team and southern my FCS team. now, it's a bit of a conundrum with the eagles move up to FBS but no way i roll against my alma mater. can't do it.

you know alabama didn't even get a chance to wear down southern's team with 2nd and 3rd teamers, right? UGA didn't score early and often in 2012. FL lost. eagles were a snap a way from being up 28-10 versus NC state in the 4th quarter. led the entire game but for a few minutes. not that the past is any predictor of the future, but don't be surprised to see the eagles go step for step. the bad part is GT is well known for playing down to supposed lesser talent. GT comes out on fire and maintains 60 minutes of solid ball, they should win and most likely win comfortable. if not, it's gonna be a ball game. GS ain't wofford.
You're right. GS "ain't" Wofford. They lost by 10 to Wofford last year.

thwgjacket

but, GS lost to wofford last year. GT beat wofford. GT will own GS . . .

BTW, wofford's DL averaged 260 . . .

GS's DL averages 295.
Huh? They go 255, 245, 285 and 305 according to their depth chart. And the 305 guy is the one we chose not to offer. Wofford's DE's are both actually heavier than Southerns and their NT was 290. They only ran a 3 man front. Where are you getting your info from? Are you just making it up?

Last edited:

Stonewall

Jolly Good Fellow
Huh? They go 255, 245, 285 and 305 according to their depth chart. And the 305 guy is the one we chose not to offer. Wofford's DE's are both actually heavier than Southerns and their NT was 290. They only ran a 3 man front. Where are you getting your info from? Are you just making it up?
Defensive LINEMEN not Defensive END. i'll return your snark with can you read and do math? from each team's respective website roster.

Wofford:

53Marcus Isom DL 6-0 275
91Chase Mills DL 6-1 250
92Tyler Vaughn DL 6-1 250
93Chris Boudreaux DL 6-2 275
94Tom Bove DL 6-0 255
95Steven Cornellier DL 6-2 245
96Brandon Curtis DL 6-3 240
97E.J. Speller DL 6-2 290

GS:

Jay Ellison DL 6-1 305
Ian Bush DL 6-0 305
Jonathan Battle, Jr. DL 6-1 285
Justice Ejike DL 6-1 290
Darrius Sapp DL 6-1 320
Jamal Johnson DL 6-2 245

Last edited:

thwgjacket

Defensive LINEMEN not Defensive END. i'll return your snark with can you read and do math? from each team's respective website roster.

Wofford:

53Marcus Isom DL 6-0 275
91Chase Mills DL 6-1 250
92Tyler Vaughn DL 6-1 250
93Chris Boudreaux DL 6-2 275
94Tom Bove DL 6-0 255
95Steven Cornellier DL 6-2 245
96Brandon Curtis DL 6-3 240
97E.J. Speller DL 6-2 290

GS:

Jay Ellison DL 6-1 305
Ian Bush DL 6-0 305
Jonathan Battle, Jr. DL 6-1 285
Justice Ejike DL 6-1 290
Darrius Sapp DL 6-1 320
Jamal Johnson DL 6-2 245
Yea you're miss the 2 starting DE's. http://www.ourlads.com/ncaa-football-depth-charts/depth-chart/georgia-southern/92890. It's not going to matter anyway though, you guys are going to get run out of the building. Enjoy.

Last edited:

jchens_GT

Ramblin' Wreck
You're right. GS "ain't" Wofford. They lost by 10 to Wofford last year.
I'm not sure if it is totally fair to compare this year's GSU to last year's. New coach, new team, new league, etc. I don't think it is fair to compare GT to last year's team for that matter. There is just too small of a sample size so far to assume that either team will fall into old habits.

I do agree with you and @Stonewall that GSU ain't Wofford. They have a tradition of winning and will come to play. I will say this though: Georgia Tech ain't no NC State either. That's one thing I believe I can say with confidence even though we are only in week 3.

thwgjacket

I'm not sure if it is totally fair to compare this year's GSU to last year's. New coach, new team, new league, etc. I don't think it is fair to compare GT to last year's team for that matter. There is just too small of a sample size so far to assume that either team will fall into old habits.

I do agree with you and @Stonewall that GSU ain't Wofford. They have a tradition of winning and will come to play. I will say this though: Georgia Tech ain't no NC State either. That's one thing I believe I can say with confidence even though we are only in week 3.
Honestly I think Southern is better than NCSU. But that speaks more to my view of NCSU than Southern.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
I appreciate the adjustments that Roof made at the half yesterday, as well as those he made several times last year. But how about for once we don't HAVE to make adjustments at the half? How about we come out in the first half ready to defend what we know ahead of time the other team is going to be doing? Some fine tuning might be necessary, but let's not only FINISH a game; let's START one.

I have 4 concerns about our D going into the game: (1) Play action deep pass-GS QB and receivers seem to have a touch. (2) Deep reverse/end around- played awful against these plays last week. Disappearing DEs problem can be fixed with discipline. (3) Inside criss-cross counter- Wofford hurt us with good inside running/blocking/execution. LBs got to fill their gaps and not get caught up with backfield motion/fakes, especially on the backside. (4) deep middle of the field S play- been giving up too much in Spring game, camp scrimmage, Wofford run, and Tulane pass- either scheme or player position/discipline issue and needs to be fixed. We lack DB speed to run people down once they get behind us.

I am encouraged with our D scheme and effort, our substituting to stay fresh and to build depth, our overall aggressiveness, and our lack of injuries. Tackling could be better. Really encouraged with the freshmen play. Agree with good D adjustments by the D coaches but the adjustments seem to come a little later in the game than they should.

Even with these defensive concerns I still think our O will score enough, ST play is good, and our D will not beat us. Tech wins against a solid opponent!

Stonewall

Jolly Good Fellow

Transitive property of football doesn't hold water for GT or GS in comparison to last year. Agreed.

Honestly, it's probably better GT isn't NC state for the sake of GS. GS typically defends the run well but hurts in the secondary. A HUNH fast pass attack scares more eagle fans much more than a run oriented attack GS has played against for years in the SoCon and also ran themselves. GS knows full well how hard the option is to defend. If GT is rolling with no errors, the eagles are gonna have to match scores and hope to make something happen. If not it could be an ugly day.

jchens_GT

Ramblin' Wreck
I think NC state also looked at their schedule and circled FSU not bothering to do a little homework and realize GS and ODU are two top former FCS programs and know a little about winning football games.
I could definitely see them doing that being out of state and unfamiliar with GSU. I think GT will have to good sense to know that GSU will come to play. I also think GT is more talented, stable, and well coached than NC State.