Ga Southern

UgagSucks

Jolly Good Fellow
They look better than us and NC State doesn't look that bad either

I think NC State is in pretty bad shape right now. I'm not concerned with Ga Southern because of the way they played vs NC State. I'm more concerned because of the way we played against Wofford for about 80% of the game.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
I think most Tech people have respected (and enjoyed) GSU football for a long time.
Well will say when I go to the tailgate crowd at Southern with my GT hat I have no problems.They do love PJ but..........they would also love to whip him........aint no reverse gear in dem Eagles.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
call southern fans crazy, but they don't travel away in plans of showing well or moral victories. now, that doesn't mean they don't know the reality of expectations.
Got you Stoney lima charlie........aint no sense in playing if you aint playing to win.............

Squints

Helluva Engineer
I think GSU is a better TEAM than most of our fans think. The evidence is out there against NC State and putting up 80+ points this weekend. I don't care if it's Johnny's School of HVAC...80+ points is very impressive.

This isn't directed at you but it's hysterical to hear this when I know if we put up 80 points on Wofford some people would poo-poo it as being against a nobody. But GSU does it and we're on upset alert.

For the record, I'd be shocked if we lost this game.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
This isn't directed at you but it's hysterical to hear this when I know if we put up 80 points on Wofford some people would poo-poo it as being against a nobody. But GSU does it and we're on upset alert.

For the record, I'd be shocked if we lost this game.

C'mon man...as a GT fan you can't look at the positives of what we do, you always have to be glass half full. It's a requirement of being a GT fan!

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
PJ will make sure Tech takes this game with all gravity possible. I expect this to be a very intense week of practice. PJ has a very soft spot in his heart for the real GSU and Statesboro, but ... believe me, he wants this one. Bad. Betcha Sewak does too.

I don't know why this is not being stressed enough. All I have seen is how focused and prepared GaSo will be, but 1 mention how CPJ will do everything possible to win this game big.

As Ive said before GaSo will not score more than 21 and we will beat them by 3+ possessions. Wake me up when VT gets here

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
absolutely coach wants this! he'd never hear the end of this loss from his detractors.

as for this being the same GS team as last year, it's not. there was nothing to play for last year. new year and ambitious goals with the move to FBS. yes, they're run first oriented but Fritz's O is not the same. it's a true spread. blocking is different. mckinnon was big but this O isn't anemic with him in the pros.

There's nothing to play for this year, either. No playoffs, no bowl game. Southern can go 11-1 and will get a pat on the head and a "that's nice." Oh, I remember all the talk last year before the season about running the table in the SoCon and all the "Eagle pride" to play for. Now a bunch of folks on the messageboard, including some who spewed the "Eagle pride" nonsense and trotted out those insipid "So Long" shirts, are now echoing the "there was nothing to play for last year" chorus.
And there are a lot of similarities between this year's O and last year's. Fritz himself has said how surprised he was at how close last year's scheme was to this year's. There is more zone blocking this year than last.
The loss of Jerick isn't felt just in yards and TDs. He was the heart and soul of that team. Can Ellison be that guy? Sure. Is he there yet? Nobody really knows.

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
I don't know why this is not being stressed enough. All I have seen is how focused and prepared GaSo will be, but 1 mention how CPJ will do everything possible to win this game big.

As Ive said before GaSo will not score more than 21 and we will beat them by 3+ possessions. Wake me up when VT gets here

Are you planning to Rip Van Winkle the next twelve months? VPI won't be here until 2105. ;)

Stonewall

Jolly Good Fellow

Sounds like what some fans said before the MTSU game a few years ago. :p

For what it's worth I'm sure Paul Johnson was 100% focused on beating MTSU that year. Unfortunately, the team didn't get the memo.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I'm pretty sure we'll have a hard time with these guys since we haven't got things sorted out yet. If we played them two weeks on, I think Eric would be spot on. Besides, their coaches have plenty of experience ghosting opposing Ds against our O.

As it is, I expect us to come out and sputter awhile. This game is where we need the D to step up early. I hope I'm wrong, mind, and that we hit on all cylinders from the gitgo. I sorta doubt we will, however; it still feels too early. I think we'll win, but it'll be a bar fight for sure. Like I say, a 1 point win will do it for me.

Stonewall

Jolly Good Fellow
There's nothing to play for this year, either. No playoffs, no bowl game. Southern can go 11-1 and will get a pat on the head and a "that's nice." Oh, I remember all the talk last year before the season about running the table in the SoCon and all the "Eagle pride" to play for. Now a bunch of folks on the messageboard, including some who spewed the "Eagle pride" nonsense and trotted out those insipid "So Long" shirts, are now echoing the "there was nothing to play for last year" chorus.
And there are a lot of similarities between this year's O and last year's. Fritz himself has said how surprised he was at how close last year's scheme was to this year's. There is more zone blocking this year than last.
The loss of Jerick isn't felt just in yards and TDs. He was the heart and soul of that team. Can Ellison be that guy? Sure. Is he there yet? Nobody really knows.

Third biggest crowd in Paulson history was there last night. That's including the National Championship games played there in the past. Guess most fans feel differently than you suspect.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
My concern is simple...I pay less attention to the opponent than to how WE play. I thought our play against Tulane was sloppy (3 TO's) and the defense was poor in the 1st half. I thought our play against Wofford on defense was not impressive all day long. The flip side is that we have shown at times as well. Shutting Tulane out in the 2nd half was a step forward, and I was happy to see the blitzes there. The 2nd half offense against Wofford was impressive.

I am really just hoping we play a complete game against Georgia Southern in preparation for the "real" games that come afterwards. If we do, we'll be fine. If we don't...who knows?

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
There is a reason the JHowell computer algorithm ranks Ga Southern 118th....... and Tulane was the same at 112 ........ we lose this one and we don't deserve a bowl game ..... and most likely wouldn't go to one. http://www.jhowell.net/cf/cf2014.htm

I fully enjoyed the Tulane game, never thought we were going to lose. I intend to enjoy this game and keep Coastal hopes alive until we lose.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
I am less worried about this game than I was the Tulane game and im not so sure they will be tougher than Wofford. I am not entirely sure we will cover 24 but I don't think its going to be that close of a game. I think people build Ga Southern up too much after the Florida game last year.