Ga Southern

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
They look like us without the depth is what I take away from what others have said. They will be more motivated to start; but Tulane was supposed to be too. After our erratic performance against Tulane and Woffard, I don't think our players will be over confident.

We should destroy them - after two games based on how the teams have actually played, we are ranked 35th and they are 118th. http://www.jhowell.net/cf/cf2014.htm But I expect a close first half, just like our first two games. Then our size and speed and depth will wear them down. We need to enjoy this while we can; outside of NC State, this is the last game where we will have such a decided advantage.

One nice thing for all the fans and both teams; the long range forecast is for a high of 79F next Saturday.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I think GSU would beat Tulane. They play a similar offensive style to us and Auburn. They probably have more speed on offense than Tulane does.

I'm still sticking to GSU will not be as easy as some would like it to be. It'll be closer than Tulane and Wofford were. May see something similar to their game against NC State: close game through the first 3 quarters, and we just wear them down due to depth. Don't forget though, GSU is now FBS so they have a larger roster.

One of the more intriguing games of the year for us because it's GSU, and they have a new coach with a new system but the players left behind actually fit the system.

Highlights of their NC State game:

Atomic Jacket

Banned
They look like us without the depth is what I take away from what others have said. They will be more motivated to start; but Tulane was supposed to be too. After our erratic performance against Tulane and Woffard, I don't think our players will be over confident.

We should destroy them - after two games based on how the teams have actually played, we are ranked 35th and they are 118th. http://www.jhowell.net/cf/cf2014.htm But I expect a close first half, just like our first two games. Then our size and speed and depth will wear them down. We need to enjoy this while we can; outside of NC State, this is the last game where we will have such a decided advantage.

One nice thing for all the fans and both teams; the long range forecast is for a high of 79F next Saturday.

I am thinking we will beat Georgia Southern by 17 to 23 points.

I appreciate the adjustments that Roof made at the half yesterday, as well as those he made several times last year. But how about for once we don't HAVE to make adjustments at the half? How about we come out in the first half ready to defend what we know ahead of time the other team is going to be doing? Some fine tuning might be necessary, but let's not only FINISH a game; let's START one.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Trap game my arse, if for one minute you think this team doesn't know how big a game this is for GaSouthern and for Tech then you sorely mistaken. To a man this team knows they haven't played even close to a complete game. As young as this team the coaches will be on them all week about this and I, for one, don't doubt the team will be ready to play.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
trap game on steroids for GT.

Agreed. GT fans probably have big brother syndrome when they look at little brother GSU. Wofford gave us all we could handle until late in the game, and I think GSU is a much better team right now. Our offense won't surprise them because the majority of the players have practiced against it under Monken. Out athleting Wofford didn't work too well until we just wore them down. GSU has got speed and they are talented.

GT wins, but it won't be comfortable for us.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Agreed. GT fans probably have big brother syndrome when they look at little brother GSU. Wofford gave us all we could handle until late in the game, and I think GSU is a much better team right now. Our offense won't surprise them because the majority of the players have practiced against it under Monken. Out athleting Wofford didn't work too well until we just wore them down. GSU has got speed and they are talented.

GT wins, but it won't be comfortable for us.

Fwiw, your description explains why it is not a trap, let alone a trap on steroids. Trap games occur when a team wrongly looks past an undervalued opposition. Our struggles v Wofford on D and Tulane on O explain why our team won't look past GaSou.

Fwiw, I don't think we would've anyway.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Fwiw, your description explains why it is not a trap, let alone a trap on steroids. Trap games occur when a team wrongly looks past an undervalued opposition. Our struggles v Wofford on D and Tulane on O explain why our team won't look past GaSou.

Nothing from the first two games has shown me that our defense can slow down GSU's offense enough to not make it uncomfortable. I doubt we looked past Wofford or Tulane either...and yet somehow both teams had us in a game heading into the 4th quarter.

GSU will be pumped up with good players and a good coach to knock off big brother GT who they all think should have given them a scholarship. Our defense stepped up in the second half to intercept a freshmen QB at Tulane, but GSU doesn't need to pass to be devastating. GSU will be frustrating to play because they can control the clock like we can.

GT fans have to be drinking some kool-aid if they think GSU will be a walkover after the first two games.

Stonewall

Jolly Good Fellow
Trap game my arse, if for one minute you think this team doesn't know how big a game this is for GaSouthern and for Tech then you sorely mistaken. To a man this team knows they haven't played even close to a complete game. As young as this team the coaches will be on them all week about this and I, for one, don't doubt the team will be ready to play.
i've seen GT leave their game at the team hotel too many times on game day versus teams they should own.

Stonewall

Jolly Good Fellow

we'll see!

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
@Techster @Stonewall

Yall missed my point. I'm not saying it won't be closer than I'd like. I'm not saying that there's no way we get beat.

I'm saying that if that happens it's not because we were looking past them to vpi. That is, it's not a trap.

Stonewall

Jolly Good Fellow
@Techster @Stonewall

Yall missed my point. I'm not saying it won't be closer than I'd like. I'm not saying that there's no way we get beat.

I'm saying that if that happens it's not because we were looking past them to vpi. That is, it's not a trap.
i'll say this, most stakeholders in GT football don't see this as anything but another cupcake before the real season starts. that's understandable and vegas will most likely agree. remember, wofford beat southern last year . . . ;)

Techster

Helluva Engineer
@Techster @Stonewall

I know what you were getting at. Unless you poll the players, it's all conjecture on your part...and my part.

Ultimately, how they play on the field will answer the question. GT is unquestionably the more talented team.