Ga Southern

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
I'm assuming Roedig will be the starter.
I assumed that until a actually read the preview I linked. Says Willingham will start.

After 4 weeks & 16 games:
4-0 midweek
6-6 on weekends

That's a 34-21 (assuming we don't make up 1st Ga Southern game) pace. I doubt we go unbeaten midweek since the future includes 5 games v UGA & Auburn. I also believe we will be better than .500 on over the remaining 10 weekends.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
I assumed that until a actually read the preview I linked. Says Willingham will start.

After 4 weeks & 16 games:
4-0 midweek
6-6 on weekends

That's a 34-21 (assuming we don't make up 1st Ga Southern game) pace. I doubt we go unbeaten midweek since the future includes 5 games v UGA & Auburn. I also believe we will be better than .500 on over the remaining 10 weekends.
I like that Willingham is starting. He seems more comfortable in that role than coming out of the pen. It also frees Roedig to start coming out of the pen with his electric stuff. Freshmen should spend their first year in the pen anyways unless they are desperately needed to start like Curry and Hurter.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
We are at 68 RPI and Southern is at 53. While I think that RPI is wrong since it's so early in the season, Ga Southern could easily (~35% likely) beat us. http://warrennolan.com/baseball/2019/schedule/Georgia-Tech

They won one of three in weekend series from @Auburn, WVU and UGAg. Their only other loss was losing 1 of 3 to UNC Asheville. Auburn and UGAg are better so far than we are.

Mid-week, Ga Southern has beaten a good College of Charleston (10-5) team 8-0 and Mercer (9-8) by 13-3.

So don't sleep on them, they are a lot better than Ga State.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
We are at 68 RPI and Southern is at 53. While I think that RPI is wrong since it's so early in the season, Ga Southern could easily (~35% likely) beat us. http://warrennolan.com/baseball/2019/schedule/Georgia-Tech

They won one of three in weekend series from @Auburn, WVU and UGAg. Their only other loss was losing 1 of 3 to UNC Asheville. Auburn and UGAg are better so far than we are.

Mid-week, Ga Southern has beaten a good College of Charleston (10-5) team 8-0 and Mercer (9-8) by 13-3.

So don't sleep on them, they are a lot better than Ga State.
I never sleep on Southern or Mercer. They always have really good teams.

Deleted member 2897

Yes they have great teams and can beat us. But we simply cannot allow that to happen. We need to come into this game with great energy with our hair on fire. As stated/implied above, so far this season we are trending in the exact same direction as the previous several years. We have to move the needle. Moving the needle means 3-1 minimum against GaSo/Virginia. It is what it is. And really, we need to beat Mercer next Tuesday too. Gotta go into Louisville 14-7.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Yes they have great teams and can beat us. But we simply cannot allow that to happen. We need to come into this game with great energy with our hair on fire. As stated/implied above, so far this season we are trending in the exact same direction as the previous several years. We have to move the needle. Moving the needle means 3-1 minimum against GaSo/Virginia. It is what it is. And really, we need to beat Mercer next Tuesday too. Gotta go into Louisville 14-7.

That bit about need ain't true for GT baseball:

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'll be in chat in a bit.

Here is an interesting discussion on D1 Baseball about NC State and how that 15-0 coach manages pitching.
"Kevin: The Wolfpack are 15-0, and they’ve actually beaten some good teams. Pitching depth has been key, but do you think Avent is leaning on the bullpen a bit too much? Parker and Johnston delivered solid starts this weekend, but both were yanked in the 6th at the first sign of trouble. It’s week 4, pitch counts in the 60s shouldn’t be an issue. Can Canaan Silver stay in the rotation? He’s been fine but I don’t think his stuff is good enough against the better bats in the ACC. Still would like to see Dalton Feeney get into a starting role. He’s the type who can settle down and get through a lineup 2 or 3 times. He’s been a bit shaky in relief lately. Andrew Blake looked great in long relief on Saturday. Anyone else stand out? And a quick offensive question: who can step up and get some hits at the bottom of the order? Just no consistency there whatsoever.
Kendall Rogers: Kevin — it’s a long season, so I don’t have an issue at all with Avent yanking guys in the middle innings, especially if he thinks the Wolfpack have enough quality pitching depth to get the job done the final few innings. You really want those arms fresh, so being able to win while doing that is a huge luxury at this stage of the season. Big weekend coming up for NC State!"

Ramblin'Man

Banned
Pathetic, D Hall is one of the best at squandering elite talent. Please TStan make a change. It can't get any worse, we will continue to recruit well, if we can just get a HC that can help the players get better rather than worse then we might get back to hosting regionals and making the CWS again

Deleted member 2897

McCann with 2 at-bats: 1 hit and 3 walks. Pretty good to have 2 at-bats and get on base 4 times.

That’s about all the positive I can think of. I’d love to say 14 base runners left on is a positive, but it doesn’t feel like it.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
A win that gives no hope that we are any better than last year. It was fun to see Bart come in and blow that guy a way to close it.

English is gimmpy and looked like he shouldn't have even been playing. We need him healthy for ACC play, no matter what.

Is Murray sick/hurt?

THWG

Helluva Engineer
McCann with 2 at-bats: 1 hit and 3 walks. Pretty good to have 2 at-bats and get on base 4 times.

That’s about all the positive I can think of. I’d love to say 14 base runners left on is a positive, but it doesn’t feel like it.
Guldberg also had 4 hits, dude is just a machine. I look at it as a positive that we scored 7 runs and still left 14 on base. The offense is starting to find its groove, but is still kind of struggling. Once the offense starts to really click, it'll be really fun to watch. Willingham was excellent again tonight, Roedig deserved better than the line he finished with and can really help the depth in the pen. Bartnicki also had a huge K. Honestly, Southern has a really good team this year, so any win against them is a good win.