Ga Southern

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Next up Ga Southern. I assume Ben S gets the mid-week start again; but have not seen/heard anything official. Wade Bailey needs 3 hits to reach 200 career hits.

I take a little issue with the numbers below. Particularly comparing the 1st 15 games to the rest of the season. The competition was significantly weaker before starting ACC play (which was Game #14)

http://www.ramblinwreck.com/sports/m-basebl/spec-rel/051517aaa.html
ROLLER COASTER OF A RIDE THIS SEASON

The Jackets have had a roller coaster ride of a season thus far this year.
• First 15 games (11-4)
* Offense: .323 avg., 27 HR, 3 3B, 40 2B, 179 total hits, 119 RBIs, 129 runs, 8.6 runs per game
* Pitching: 5.13 ERA, 89 runs, 77 ER, 135 hits, 73 BB, 124 K

• Next 19 games (5-14)
* Offense: .255 avg., 19 HR, 0 3B, 35 2B, 171 total hits, 84 RBIs, 93 runs, 4.9 runs per game
* Pitching: 5.77 ERA, 129 runs, 109 ER, 186 hits, 110 BB, 134 K

• Last 15 games (9-6)
* Offense: .280 avg., 18 HR, 6 3B, 34 2B, 144 total hits, 78 RBIs, 85 runs, 5.7 runs per game
* Pitching: 4.37 ERA, 70 runs, 64 ER, 124 hits, 50 BB, 97 K

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Next up Ga Southern. I assume Ben S gets the mid-week start again; but have not seen/heard anything official. Wade Bailey needs 3 hits to reach 200 career hits.

I take a little issue with the numbers below. Particularly comparing the 1st 15 games to the rest of the season. The competition was significantly weaker before starting ACC play (which was Game #14)

http://www.ramblinwreck.com/sports/m-basebl/spec-rel/051517aaa.html
ROLLER COASTER OF A RIDE THIS SEASON
The Jackets have had a roller coaster ride of a season thus far this year.
• First 15 games (11-4)
* Offense: .323 avg., 27 HR, 3 3B, 40 2B, 179 total hits, 119 RBIs, 129 runs, 8.6 runs per game
* Pitching: 5.13 ERA, 89 runs, 77 ER, 135 hits, 73 BB, 124 K

• Next 19 games (5-14)
* Offense: .255 avg., 19 HR, 0 3B, 35 2B, 171 total hits, 84 RBIs, 93 runs, 4.9 runs per game
* Pitching: 5.77 ERA, 129 runs, 109 ER, 186 hits, 110 BB, 134 K

• Last 15 games (9-6)
* Offense: .280 avg., 18 HR, 6 3B, 34 2B, 144 total hits, 78 RBIs, 85 runs, 5.7 runs per game
* Pitching: 4.37 ERA, 70 runs, 64 ER, 124 hits, 50 BB, 97 K

Yep. Lazy journalism. I need to start a gofundme page to start a foundation against stats abuse.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
You and me both. If you look at pictures from the home crowds this year, you can see how apathetic d-hall ball has made the fan base. Awful attendance and empty stands all year.
In interview with Wiley after the Duke win... Wiley asked CDH what he wanted to see in the upcoming, season-closing homestand (Ga Southern and UVA). Of course Wiley's implication was "from the team"... but CDH had a strange answer. I don't have the quote... but basically, he said he wanted fans to show up.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
In interview with Wiley after the Duke win... Wiley asked CDH what he wanted to see in the upcoming, season-closing homestand (Ga Southern and UVA). Of course Wiley's implication was "from the team"... but CDH had a strange answer. I don't have the quote... but basically, he said he wanted fans to show up.

Hall first said that he'd like to see the team play well and then see some people in the stands. Given schools out and we play bad baseball, there will be fewer people than if school were in.

There may be more Ga Southern fans there tonight than GT fans which may have been on Hall's mind.

As to quality of baseball, Ga Southern has a 72 RPI to our 65. Our RPI is inflated by us having the 28th toughest SOS while Ga Southern has had the 148th. So Ga Southern is 35-17 against lesser competition.

As to pitchers, we need to save everyone who can contribute for UVa. But this is our best chance to win another game this regular season and maybe all season. Since we are probably in the ACC tourney, we'll be the lowest seed in whatever bracket we end up in.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
As to pitchers, we need to save everyone who can contribute for UVa. But this is our best chance to win another game this regular season and maybe all season. Since we are probably in the ACC tourney, we'll be the lowest seed in whatever bracket we end up in.
Agree and this is amplified a little with fact that this final ACC weekend runs Thurs-Sat.

...and its Ben Schniederjans starting tonight.
http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools...o_pdf/2016-17/release/release_20170516aaa.pdf

Last edited:

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
Hall first said that he'd like to see the team play well and then see some people in the stands. Given schools out and we play bad baseball, there will be fewer people than if school were in.

There may be more Ga Southern fans there tonight than GT fans which may have been on Hall's mind.

As to quality of baseball, Ga Southern has a 72 RPI to our 65. Our RPI is inflated by us having the 28th toughest SOS while Ga Southern has had the 148th. So Ga Southern is 35-17 against lesser competition.

I was shocked at how few people appeard to be in the stands for the finale of the Pitt series. It was a Monday night, but it was embarrassing given the game was televised on ESPNU. The last game I attended in person at the RustyC was the UGA game. It was well attended and we got treated to SoS.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Wiley just provided some injury news:
Kel out for year - dislocated shoulder
Bart may be back for UVA
Murray out today... I didn't hear anything one way or the other beyond that.
10 scholarship players not available tonight. Brutal!

RoosterJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Big 2nd inning for GT. Up 4-1 in T3. Good to see Nick Wilhite get a 2 RBI triple. He's gonna have a chance to get some PT this week with Kel out and Poje moving to 1B as well as Murray potentially being out (haven't heard any details how bad his ankle is...might just be resting up for UVA).

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Tonight was good with a big going away we win.

I got to see Connor Thomas for the first time and am glad he is getting experience. Hope he and most of our pitchers play summer ball. Need coaching from other as sources.
I was thinking that we have several guys who should stay home, re-hab, get ahead in school and work on adding one pitch.