G.T. Lacrosse #1

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Do you think GT will start up a competitive soccer program sometime in the future?

Heard some talk of that. On the women's side Tech would be very well positioned to go ahead, can't say where they'd be positioned on the men's side.

Oh the specific subject I know lacrosse has been growing by leaps and bounds at the HS level here in GA.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I know the ACC is up there in the conference rankings. Is the old Big East still a power in lacrosse?
I'm going to say this as humbly as possible. No, with Syracuse in the ACC, the Big East is nowhere near the conference it once was. Syracuse is conservatively a top 5 program historically. 10 NCAA championships and 5 pre-NCAA lacrosse championships. A Final Four streak of 22 consecutive years ended in 2005. Syracuse was only in the Big East conference for the first few years of its existence before moving to the ACC. Previously the league did not exist and the Orangemen were independent.

Notre Dame is now a very relevant top 10 program. UVA is a traditional power while Duke and UNC have become top 15 relevant in the last 10 years.

The only relevant program in the Big East is, of course, Denver o_O They are top 10 good as of the last 5-10 years and only a recent addition to the league. But the ACC sends almost all teams to the NCAA tournament. Big East will send 1, maybe 2 max.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
I'm going to say this as humbly as possible. No, with Syracuse in the ACC, the Big East is nowhere near the conference it once was. Syracuse is conservatively a top 5 program historically. 10 NCAA championships and 5 pre-NCAA lacrosse championships. A Final Four streak of 22 consecutive years ended in 2005. Syracuse was only in the Big East conference for the first few years of its existence before moving to the ACC. Previously the league did not exist and the Orangemen were independent.

Notre Dame is now a very relevant top 10 program. UVA is a traditional power while Duke and UNC have become top 15 relevant in the last 10 years.

The only relevant program in the Big East is, of course, Denver o_O They are top 10 good as of the last 5-10 years and only a recent addition to the league. But the ACC sends almost all teams to the NCAA tournament. Big East will send 1, maybe 2 max.

Appreciate it! I remember Johns Hopkins, Navy, Maryland and, of course, Syracuse as the programs that were always talked about as the national powers in lacrosse so for some reason I asked the question about the Big East from a geographical perspective.

FightWinDrink

Helluva Engineer
Appreciate it! I remember Johns Hopkins, Navy, Maryland and, of course, Syracuse as the programs that were always talked about as the national powers in lacrosse so for some reason I asked the question about the Big East from a geographical perspective.
Maryland is still pretty strong but they never pull off a title anymore. I think they've lost in the championship 4 or 5 times since their last natty

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Don't look for GTAA to add any Men's varsity sports any time soon. You can thank Title IX for that. The one down side of the ratio going down at Tech is that it affects what Tech has to do to remain compliant with Title IX. The ratio of men/women varsity athletes has to mirror the school ratio. Therefore, look for more women's varsity teams before men's. I think women's soccer would be a legit team added.

travgt01

Ramblin' Wreck
Don't look for GTAA to add any Men's varsity sports any time soon. You can thank Title IX for that. The one down side of the ratio going down at Tech is that it affects what Tech has to do to remain compliant with Title IX. The ratio of men/women varsity athletes has to mirror the school ratio. Therefore, look for more women's varsity teams before men's. I think women's soccer would be a legit team added.

GT is the only ACC or SEC school without a women's soccer team. I think we are one of 3 ACC schools without a men's team. SEC only has like 3 mens teams and they play in Conf USA.