Future schedule news

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Look, you do what you have to do.

But, when I don’t have plans for a Friday night, I watch all the second tier teams on tv. Bowling Green. Charlotte. Buffalo. And now ... GT.

The perception will be we admit we’re a second tier program. Because that is how we will be perceived. Ugh.

On Finebaum yesterday, there was a good laugh about Vanderbilt. A reporter noted they say all the right things but in the end, they stink. And they really shouldn’t be in the SEC anymore because the faculty could care less. Yet, they talk championships because that’s what alumni want to hear.

But they did just upgrade the locker room.

Sound familiar?

TechCubed

Helluva Engineer

But, when I don’t have plans for a Friday night, I watch all the second tier teams on tv. Bowling Green. Charlotte. Buffalo. And now ... GT.

The perception will be we admit we’re a second tier program. Because that is how we will be perceived. Ugh.

On Finebaum yesterday, there was a good laugh about Vanderbilt. A reporter noted they say all the right things but in the end, they stink. And they really shouldn’t be in the SEC anymore because the faculty could care less. Yet, they talk championships because that’s what alumni want to hear.

Sound familiar?

Can you imagine if Clemson agreed to play a Friday night game, even on the road??? That would never happen in a million years! Oh wait, it's going to happen on October 2. Who's going to call and tell them they are now a second tier program?

Where did you hear that it was "necessitated?" I'm not trying to be argumentative, I promise. I just hadn't read that it was necessary for us to agree to the move. Maybe I'm being overly sensitive to the choice of words and if so I apologize. It has been sounding to me like UCF really didn't want to play an away game on Saturday at GT and then an away game at ECU on the following Thursday. I don't blame them not wanting to play back to back away games so close together nor for asking if our game could be moved. Of course maybe I'm not understanding the relationship between the ACC, GT, and ESPN in terms of what it means for ESPN to "request" that we move the game. Maybe that does equate to us having to do it. But from the AJC article it sounds like CGC and GT had the option not to agree to it if we judged it was too harmful to us.

As for folks objecting to it I totally get it. I don't blame anyone for disliking the move. I do feel like this is an opportunity for GT to chart a different course than we've been on and garner some eyes that might not be HS football fans but are college football fans. I think CGC has also turned it into an opportunity to tell the HS coaches that they are important to him and GT. And I have to believe he has a pretty good handle on how to mitigate the impact of not being able to host HS players that night otherwise he wouldn't agree to this. Or at least he's pretty clever at turning things most people perceive as negatives into positives.
That's why I put necessitated in quotes.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Playing on Friday night just strikes me as bush-league. I understand there is likely a big paycheck and blah, blah blah but at the end of the day, its bush league.

However, on the bright side, all the recruits love attending nationally-televised games so that is also a benefit. Er.... scratch that.

So when will your check be arriving to cover our debt?? And thank you for writing that 6 figure check!!

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
I sure wish this was a nooner on the ACC Network that no one outside of the state of Georgia gave a **** about watching.....
Come on now!
We have two prime time games on ESPN in 3 weeks! When’s the last time we had that? The amount of viewers were getting now compared to what it would’ve been at noon Saturday is on another level! The only other game that night is Minnesota vs I have no idea who. We need exposure, now we’re getting it!
Plus the MBS Notre Dame game that will probably at least be a 3:30 ABC game. The only other games that might be intriguing that week (on Saturday) are:
  • Miami @ Virginia Tech
  • Washington @ USC
  • Michigan State @ Penn State
  • Tennessee @ Georgia
  • Nebraska @ Iowa
  • TCU @ Texas
UT & uGA will almost definitely get the 3:30 CBS slot, Miami & VT probably ACCN, 1 of the 2 B1G games will get their “big noon” slot. There’s not going to be many games left to compete for a prime time nationally televised slot. There’s a really good chance Tech plays 3 prime time home games this year. When is the last time that happened?

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Other "second tier" teams playing on Friday nights in 2020: Clemson, USC, Miami, VT, Oregon, Washington, Utah, Virginia, UCLA, Cal, Iowa, Minnesota, Ole Miss, Miss St., Wisconsin, North Carolina....and many more.
And so did these teams last year play on Friday, Rice, Army, U Mass, Utah State, WF, William & Mary. Sacramento State. San Jose State, Air Force.and Cincinnati .

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Can you imagine if Clemson agreed to play a Friday night game, even on the road??? That would never happen in a million years! Oh wait, it's going to happen on October 2. Who's going to call and tell them they are now a second tier program?
I'll call them and tell them I need to talk to that AD anyway.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
Count me in the column that is good with this. There is not much difference in tailgating time for me between a Friday night game and a Saturday noon game. But I would much prefer the weather for a Friday night game than a Saturday noon game in Setptember.

Also, I am a big Atlanta United fan and the original Saturday was going to set up a sure conflict, as Atlanta United plays at home that Saturday at 3:30. I promise you that conflict hurts as many or more fans than fans of high school football. Now I get to do both : )

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Look Fact : I hate playing a game on Friday Night.
Fact : When I first heard this I blamed the AD and Coach
Fact: I'll get over it in time like I did our 3 win season.
Not sure if this is a fact : But didn't the little girl in the Blue dress sale out the ACC to ESPN and the league has to do so many Friday games.
Question : Do we really get any money or does all the TV money go to the ACC and then spilt to the teams?

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
And so did these teams last year play on Friday, Rice, Army, U Mass, Utah State, WF, William & Mary. Sacramento State. San Jose State, Air Force.and Cincinnati .
*Gasp* :nailbiting:
Did those teams play on Saturdays too??? If so we have to move all of our Saturday games to other days during the week. There’s just no way a league with 130 teams can play games on more than 1 day of the week.

Seriously, who cares that those teams played on Fridays? When Oregon plays on Friday vs. Arizona State are you not going to watch because those are “second tier” programs? What about when Wisconsin opens the year on a Friday? Not gonna watch em? Too MACtiony for you? Ole Miss and Miss St. routinely play the Egg Bowl on Thanksgiving Thursday. Must not be important since it ain’t a Saturday huh? USC and Utah Friday night week 4? Nah. I think I’ll just sit that one out. 2 garbage programs. Washington and Washington State play for the Apple Cup on a Friday. Guess it don’t even matter though.

Milwaukee

Banned

Sound familiar?

It does sound familiar. Unfortunately we have to dig out of this crap that we buried ourselves under the past 5 years. We will get back to being big time but we aren’t currently. Give it time chief.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
*Gasp* :nailbiting:
Did those teams play on Saturdays too??? If so we have to move all of our Saturday games to other days during the week. There’s just no way a league with 130 teams can play games on more than 1 day of the week.

Seriously, who cares that those teams played on Fridays? When Oregon plays on Friday vs. Arizona State are you not going to watch because those are “second tier” programs? What about when Wisconsin opens the year on a Friday? Not gonna watch em? Too MACtiony for you? Ole Miss and Miss St. routinely play the Egg Bowl on Thanksgiving Thursday. Must not be important since it ain’t a Saturday huh? USC and Utah Friday night week 4? Nah. I think I’ll just sit that one out. 2 garbage programs. Washington and Washington State play for the Apple Cup on a Friday. Guess it don’t even matter though.
I don't watch any college game on Friday. I go to all the Tech games and point blank don't care to see any other team on TV . I am one that goes to see Tech not the other team.

Milwaukee

Banned

So it’s almost as if it’s common in modern day cfb. Crazy huh. Those damn second tier teams and their agendas suckering the Clemsons, Oregons, and Wisconsins of the world into their little trap. You guys are on to something now that I think of it. We should demand better.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
No one answered my question do we get the money for playing on Friday or does the ACC get all the TV money and then spilt it to all teams. The ACC agree to play so many Friday games for ESPN

gtjackets930

Jolly Good Fellow
This just flat out sucks. Would much rather be playing on the nationally televised (definitely not bussh league) ACC Network at Noon. Nothing says big boy football like regional / conference sports networks that only reach a small percentage of households.

Last edited:

Gtbowhunter90

In Black Bear Country
Contributing Writer
Playing on Friday night just strikes me as bush-league. I understand there is likely a big paycheck and blah, blah blah but at the end of the day, its bush league.

However, on the bright side, all the recruits love attending nationally-televised games so that is also a benefit. Er.... scratch that.
*Busch ;)