Future schedule news

TechCubed

Helluva Engineer
I’m sure it comes down to money. Non conference home game, UCF has a guarantee on a payoff if Tech cancelled the game I bet cha. I’d put my own money on it. Once The NCAA gave approval to UCF to seek the change Tech was screwed either way. Play on the night UCF wanted or pay UCF not to play. Remember UCF has its own national aspects to consider, they are trying to optimize their schedule too.

You are completely making stuff up. The NCAA gave approval to UCF to seek the change? I posted this previously from a friend in the AA:

That's 100% false. ACC/ESPN approached us last week, and Coach Collins had the final say on it. His primary concern was about HS football on Friday nights and contacted a bunch of coaches. They were supportive since it would help raise the profile of the program. If they had responded negatively, game would not have been moved. Not sure where that UCF info from, but I can tell you without a doubt it's completely wrong. Feel free to pass this along to whomever told you that.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
I’m sure it comes down to money. Non conference home game, UCF has a guarantee on a payoff if Tech cancelled the game I bet cha. I’d put my own money on it. Once The NCAA gave approval to UCF to seek the change Tech was screwed either way. Play on the night UCF wanted or pay UCF not to play. Remember UCF has its own national aspects to consider, they are trying to optimize their schedule too.

Yea the visiting team has ALL the power to dictate the home teams schedule;);););)

And I will get back to you on your offer for my ocean front property in Oklahoma.

VintageWreck

Jolly Good Fellow
Lmaooo. That’s what we’re going with now. Get out your tin foil hats. Holy sh*t. There’s no pleasing some of you people. Trading in a noon Saturday game on ACCN for a prime time game on ESPN sure does sound like a positive change to me. Of course there are some cons that come along with it, but at worst they’re a wash compared to the potential gain Tech will get out of this game.
Negatives
  • Loss of gameday atmosphere for recruits
  • Possible attendance drop (marginal at most)
  • Piss of a small portion of fans who were going to be pissed off regardless
  • Interfere with high school games (non issue to me)
  • Listen to a few back handed comments from local fan bases
Positives
  • Prime time game at Bobby Dodd
  • Hundreds of thousands of more TV viewers
  • Nationally televised
  • National talking point
  • Greater opportunity to expose the brand of GT football
You may think exposure isn’t a big deal, but would anybody outside of Tech fans remember the 2015 FSU game if it was a noon game? Would the atmosphere be the same? Doubt it. It would just be a footnote on the season. Just like our wins over UGA that have occurred at noon. Anybody remember Illinois upset over Wisconsin this year? What about USCe over uGA? Those games would absolutely be bigger deals had they been prime time games. I’m not trying to compare those particular games to GT vs UCF. I’m just saying there’s no harm in getting more eyeballs on your program, and should Tech take it to UCF, there’s going to be a lot more people talking about it than they would if it were a noon game.

My initial thoughts on this fell into the NEGATIVE category.

After reading many replies I have now moved into the POSITIVE category.

Well said JacketOff.

VintageWreck

Jolly Good Fellow
I’m sick of white out games. White outs are special because they don’t happen often, it makes big games bigger. White out against a non conference opponent, in this case, seems to be putting a dress on a pig just to do it.

White out against Clemson makes a lot more sense but even then it would be a regularly scheduled conference game which has little impact on the overall season a win is awesome but a loss would be expected. I’d Prefer we look like Tech when we win not a bowl of cotton. I’d appreciate it more if it were a different look, Gold, Blue, or even Blsck ( I know Ga has a Blackout) but something more intimidating please.

Never wear Black!
Never wear all BLUE!

Up with the White and Gold!

Tech Lawyer

Jolly Good Fellow
Well, this gives us an extra day of rest before UNC. Their first three games- UCF, Auburn and James Madison. We need to take one of the two road games with UNC and VT.

GT flunkout

Jolly Good Fellow
I’m sick of white out games. White outs are special because they don’t happen often, it makes big games bigger. White out against a non conference opponent, in this case, seems to be putting a dress on a pig just to do it.

White out against Clemson makes a lot more sense but even then it would be a regularly scheduled conference game which has little impact on the overall season a win is awesome but a loss would be expected. I’d Prefer we look like Tech when we win not a bowl of cotton. I’d appreciate it more if it were a different look, Gold, Blue, or even Blsck ( I know Ga has a Blackout) but something more intimidating please.

Dumb take #1. Blue or black looks more like Tech than WHITE? Since when? You wear gold every game unless it's a white out. Are white outs "special" or not sufficiently intimidating? Slightly schizophrenic?

You betcha. Yep, non-conference G5 game dictates Tech home schedule. Really dumb take.

cyclejacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Dumb take #1. Blue or black looks more like Tech than WHITE? Since when? You wear gold every game unless it's a white out. Are white outs "special" or not sufficiently intimidating? Slightly schizophrenic?

You betcha. Yep, non-conference G5 game dictates Tech home schedule. Really dumb take.

The silliest thing about white-outs at Grant Field is that they lack the "out" aspect.

LibertyTurns

Banned
I personally don't mind a Friday night game, but for some, just as for Thursday night games, tailgating becomes difficult if not impossible because of work schedules. That won't affect me, but it will affect those who set up for the group I tailgate with.
It’s easier for us out-of-towners to make a Fri night game than Thurs night. I actually prefer to know the game time way ahead of time because I can plan for that. 1-2 week’s notice blows if you’re coordinating a busy schedule and travel, hotel in town, etc. Then we get ESPN broadcast early in the season, a positive. Add that to not baking in the Sept sun & there are the positives. Not taking attendance away from HS games is nothing. HS games taking attendance away from us, well not good. No recruiting visits, not good. Shortened week for a team that is still learning its assignments, not positive. Same people who would watch the game will watch it on Fri night. At best this is a neutral trade, maybe very very slight positive deal.

Bottom line: Win will be positive. Loss will be negative. There are no ties.

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
You are completely making stuff up. The NCAA gave approval to UCF to seek the change? I posted this previously from a friend in the AA:

That's 100% false. ACC/ESPN approached us last week, and Coach Collins had the final say on it. His primary concern was about HS football on Friday nights and contacted a bunch of coaches. They were supportive since it would help raise the profile of the program. If they had responded negatively, game would not have been moved. Not sure where that UCF info from, but I can tell you without a doubt it's completely wrong. Feel free to pass this along to whomever told you that.

Wow “making things up” really ? It’s called talking but I’m glad to know that had the high school coaches objected UCF and ESPN would have bowed out gracefully with no problems at all, it’s not like ESPN has ever dictated a time and date for a football game OR a buyout has been paid for not playing. I mean UCF went to all the trouble to request a change I’m sure they really didn’t care when it was played.

You may work for ESPN, UCF or Tech and thereby have privileged info but I’d appreciate a little less confrontational approach from you next time, thanks.

Man all you guys go straight to the ******* comments don’t you ? Overreactive jerks

And yes if the NCAA approved the change and Tech declined it you can beat your *** UCF would have had a response, they dont have to come to Atlanta,
LAST I checked they weren’t just a non conference G5 team they are the 24th ranked team in The country .

You jerks are like Piranha.

As far as White outs, the point was I don’t like them for regular games, last I checked Grayish Blue wasn’t a Tech color but we damn sure wore those for a special occurrence did y’all raise hell and insult people ?

I just don’t get As**oles

Last edited:

swarmer

Ramblin' Wreck
Ehhh this sucks. Would much rather play on a Saturday than a Friday night. Won’t be able to tailgate. Fans outside the city won’t attend. UCF attendance will be down. Recruits can’t attend. Anyone involved in high schools fb cant attend.

Ehhh this sucks. Would much rather play on a Saturday than a Friday night. Won’t be able to tailgate. Fans outside the city won’t attend. UCF attendance will be down. Recruits can’t attend. Anyone involved in high schools fb cant attend.
Fans outside the city won't attend ??? I and several others I know are from well outside the city, and we all plan on attending.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Fans outside the city won't attend ??? I and several others I know are from well outside the city, and we all plan on attending.

I am not sure why he says you can't tailgate either. If you're working in a tech field. Take the day off have a 3 day weekend you should have the time. If you aren't maybe that affects you. It's no different than a thursday game.

Sounds to me like an excuse

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I am not sure why he says you can't tailgate either. If you're working in a tech field. Take the day off have a 3 day weekend you should have the time. If you aren't maybe that affects you. It's no different than a thursday game.

It's not an excuse, and it's a very real concern for some fans.

For the record, I'm planning on being there, and I am from the Augusta area, but there have been scheduled games in the past that have made my attendance problematic. I am not a fan of playing Friday night home games, but I don't make the schedule, so I try not to complain about it. Dismissing other fans frustrations as excuses isn't really constructive though.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
It's not an excuse, and it's a very real concern for some fans.

For the record, I'm planning on being there, and I am from the Augusta area, but there have been scheduled games in the past that have made my attendance problematic. I am not a fan of playing Friday night home games, but I don't make the schedule, so I try not to complain about it. Dismissing other fans frustrations as excuses isn't really constructive though.

An excuse can be valid. But I happen to prefer the nooners we had (wake up drive down watch football get back and have the rest of the day to do ****) and people complained about them all the time too. The last friday game we had led to them talking about us in EVERY game on saturday as we absolutely destroyed louisville. That kind of exposure is also a very good thing.

The people who organize my tailgate group cannot get there in time on a week night to make tailgating feasible. They were not able to do last year for the Thursday night game, and I assume that will be the case for a Friday night game as well. They were able to get to the game, but just not in time to set up for tailgating.

GTBatGirl96

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm actually considering coming to this one. My younger son has soccer games on Saturdays, and we're at least 2.5 hours away, so that means we usually can't make Saturday games unless he has a bye that week which lines up with a home game (rare). Thursday is a school night, so we won't make those either. However, Friday night is not a school night, so we might actually make that one. I bet there are MANY other families in the same position, and this opens the door for those to attend who normally can't. I'm appreciative that they are considering other timing options.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
In this season, which is really season 1 given the shift we went through last year, I think getting national exposures trumps everything. We will finally be able to show off the new GT.

Collins has had a year of evaluating, lifting, recruiting, teaching and practicing with the guys. We are going to finally see a more coherent style on O and D and are STARTING to establish our new look. Playing Friday night will let us pickup national eyeballs that we wouldn’t get if it were a nooner on Saturday with all the noise and other games.

It is a necessary evil to do this now, as we are rebuilding the style of play we are to be known for.
In the future we will hopefully be better positioned to draw attention whenever and wherever we play, but for now we have to do things like this, or open against Clemson, or play at MBS to get more views. Let’s stay all in on the program and support the team.