Future Opponents: Bama and Ga State

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Uh, guys, Georgia State went to a bowl this year. Guess who didn't?

Given that their program is a success (3 bowls in the last 5 years), I would think most of us here would be wondering how successful we can be against them, not why we would play them at all.

As to playing Bama, I think Forensic is right; we'll never play those games. Either a) we'll get a lot better and Bama will beg off or b) we won't improve much and Bama will find someone else to "keep up our SoS". I don't think anyone over there wants to renew this rivalry. much as we would like to. And, overall, I'm glad of that. I don't want another really successful football program putting up yet another barrier to winning.

gt13

Ramblin' Wreck
CGC is putting the basis of his entire recruiting philosophy and program branding on the line vs GSU. Must win, but shouldn't be too big of an ask. Roster will be loaded in 2024 and should be mostly GT fans at both games. However, GSU does have a lot of alumni if they decided they wanted to show up. I can imagine it wont be the most attractive draw for GT fans but itll mean a lot to GSU.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Better start e-mailing T Stan now !

If we get $5,000,000+ upfront, 100% seat revenue and a Labor Day night -only game on- TV slot, who cares if we play it at MBS or BDS@HGF? I'd take that and then go to B-DS in Tuscaloosa and beat them there.

Until if/when BDS@HGF is upgraded to one of the premier stadiums in the nation, why not make MBS the second home of Ga Tech? Time was that bama played all their big games in Birmingham because there stadium wasn't as big or as nice as Legion Field. Once B-DS became nicer and bigger, guess what, they no longer play games in B'ham.

Money is money and we need money.

Wrecked

Ramblin' Wreck
I would think the site of game would be determined before contract was signed by the schools.
Dont think so. Our floating game at MBS is a conference game and we don't know the opponent. I think we can basically pick who we want to play there. If we play this Bama game I fully expect it to be at MBS. I actually think within 5 years our home UGA game will be there also. IMO the MBS announcement is just the beginning of moving our big games there and play the smaller games at BDS.

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
Open the campus for tailgating, free buses to the stadium, air conditioned rather than 95+ degrees for an early game, ESPN game day on campus, replays on the Jumbotron pre-game of when Bama came to BDS in '84 and '62. First game of the season, we come out in the TO and Saban forfeits.

Wrecked

Ramblin' Wreck
Open the campus for tailgating, free buses to the stadium, air conditioned rather than 95+ degrees for an early game, ESPN game day on campus, replays on the Jumbotron pre-game of when Bama came to BDS in '84 and '62. First game of the season, we come out in the TO and Saban forfeits.
Love it. CPJ drives the Reck out!

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Alabama played a game at Duke, which isn't much bigger than 24,000. Your point?

Losing or winning this game is not my focus. I expect us to win every game so whatever.

Some of you totally don't get it.

You reference bama playing at duke, but do you think bama would schedule an away game with uab? Why won't Clemson schedule an away game at Furman?

What if, to get tickets to the GT game, gsu requires you to buy season tickets? Anyone think TStan has thought about that?

Was anyone here in attendance at the last game Whack Hyder ever coached for GT? I was and it was the most embarrassing GT event i ever attended.

Anyone ever wonder why Bobby Cremins stopped playing gsu? It wasn't because he didn't beat them.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
We'll never play the Alabama games. They'll come up with a reason to back out. If we do play, it'll be one of the MBS games. As for home/home with Georgia State, we don't have to pay them to come play us, and we don't have to travel to play them. It fills a need in our schedule and doesn't cost us any money. That's an easy one to me.
Likely won’t play in MBS in 2030. Deal is 5 years and it’s a quick money grab and way to boost recruiting. If we still need to do those in 2030 I’ll be very disappointed.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
Gives their program oxygen, press coverage, fan support, recruiting attention. All of which we struggle getting already. Legitimizes their program at our expense.
Or we go in there and beat the crap out of them and move on. I’m sorry man but if your scared of Ga State taking over as Atlanta’s team I’m not sure what any one can say to change your mind.

GCdaJuiceMan

Helluva Engineer
Or we go in there and beat the crap out of them and move on. I’m sorry man but if your scared of Ga State taking over as Atlanta’s team I’m not sure what any one can say to change your mind.

I may have missed this discussion when it was originally scheduled but did everyone in here **** their pants when we scheduled KSU? A team, at the time, running the exact same offense as us that is 25 miles away? Everyone needs to get rid of this worst possible outcome mentality.