Future of GT

Brian Johnson

Jolly Good Fellow
Does CPJ hire a offensive coord? Do we get a better O line coach? What do we do now with a young team. What do y'all out there expect. Eric do you know any of these question and can you please share with us your opinion. Do we get rid of any coaches?

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Of course CPJ is not hiring a OC.

Jury is still on if Sewak will be here not next year...My gut is that he will be back.

Minawreck

Ramblin' Wreck
Which is horrible. Our off line is not good and hasn't been.
I think Sewak will plead his case that not having a true option QB or one that stepped into a pocket made the line look worse than it was. Along with injuries and his history with CPJ he'll be back I think

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
I think an OC would actually be good for CPJ. That and a QB Coach. Never will happen under this regime unfortunately.

Unless someone leaves there will be no changes.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
And he should be. The indecisions on the veer, the poor reads (if any) on the midline, and, yes, the failure to step up all made a difference. Losing a starter and two main backups before the second game, then losing Beno, then having both Jackson and Finch banged up for most of the season changed what was supposed to be a strength before the season into a collection of walking wounded, players out of position (I was looking forward to seeing Jackson at RG for the season), and 2nd/3rd string players starting. That'll do it. I can't think of an OL coach in the country who could change that picture into a team strength. Indeed, I thought our OL played way above their head during the three game win streak that got us back to bowl eligibility. Losing as much game experience as we did especially hurts our O since the blocking schemes are a major part of why the thing works.

I have to say that I've found the criticism of Sewak this season unfair; he did ok with the cards that were dealt him. Not great, but ok.

DvilleJacket

Helluva Engineer
Didnt Johnson say a couple times last year he had to coach the line more at practice because things were so bad? That should be a sign that the guy isn't doing his job coaching the position.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Sewak will be here and our O line will play the same. No reason to think otherwise.

No OC. Somebody correct me if wrong, but we have not had an OC since 2001, correct? (please, nobody tell me Nix was given that authority or the guy that followed him for one year). We should have saved at least $1 millon by not having that expense.

And I will believe recruiting has improved when I see it on the field.

ybeenormal

Jolly Good Fellow
Definitely! I understand cut blocking can be very effective when executed properly, but....... when it's not executed, it can really make a decent player look just plain silly

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
as for OFF help,what happened to the coach brought in last yr from that FCS school that had those great stats? what was he suppose to do?.Based on results --he didn't do much!

nodawgs

Jolly Good Fellow
The biggest problem with the OLine in pass blocking is the philosophy to not give ground. It's almost impossible to block consistently that way. One move and they are by you. A little cushion and you have a chance to recover and stay between the qb and the defender. We need to adapt or we will continue to have the same problems in the passing game that we've had for the past 6 years.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
alaCoach post: 23611 said:
as for OFF help,what happened to the coach brought in last yr from that FCS school that had those great stats? what was he suppose to do?.Based on results --he didn't do much!
QB/Bback - Coach

slugboy

Staff member
Bryan Cook. I like some of what he did, but the B-Backs weren't blocking on pass plays.

LibertyTurns

Banned
We need to adapt or we will continue to have the same problems in the passing game that we've had for the past 6 years.
Hate to tell you but we've had problems passing all but 3 of the last 30 years. It's not a one man, one scheme issue. We've had it with 6 different head coaches and I can't count the number of OC's. And no, having an SEC-NFL type offense didn't result in 5* QBs, RBs or WRs flocking to the Flats (even after we won our last National Championship).

I'm all for change, but of we don't address what really ails the program throwing out another piece of fresh meat for everyone to gripe about won't amount to a hill of beans.

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
David sims was a pretty good blocker on pass plays. It was being negated by vad taking a 20 step drop back

I'm sorry but this simply is not true. You might want to rewatch when the players left the field in the bowl game. On at least 2 occasions, CPJ got into Sims' face because he was completely whiffing on his man.

Personally, I'm like 33jacket on this and believe it's a schematic problem when you have a backfield player trying to solo block a DE on multiple occasions, but that's just my opinion.

Yellow Jacket

Georgia Tech Fan
We need to hired a replacement for PJ
I haven't seen many comments on PJ's statement after the game of: "we didn't play well enough in any facet to win the game"
Why didn't they play well enough?--
a) Was it that the players didn't care?--no way
b) Was it that the players didn't try?--no way
c) Was it that PJ was yet again out coached?--I think so