Future of College Baseball

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer
Interesting. Does that decimates the summer leagues though?....but what's the need if they're playing in/through the summer.

The guys don't get much of a break with the CWS last week fo July and school starting back up a few weeks later....

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer
I like the longer ramp up for pitchers and starting in a warmer weather vs cold. I also like the benefit to the northern schools so they don't have to travel so much the first 4 weeks.
Also like the improvement in attendance and $$ to schools. Nice to see GT up at the top for attendance and profitability. Gotta love ATL and the ease of in/out.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Interesting. Does that decimates the summer leagues though?....but what's the need if they're playing in/through the summer.

The guys don't get much of a break with the CWS last week fo July and school starting back up a few weeks later....
The impact on summer leagues? Will definitely be some... but won't kill them, I bet. Per the proposal...

Conference Tournaments are last week of June = over 230 teams/players' college season ends.
Regionals 1st weekend in July = over 275 teams/players' seasons are over.
Supers mid-July = only 8 teams still playing.

Basically... pushes summer play back 1 month. I'm sure some stakeholders will hate that & have good reasons. However, the players will now be practicing/playing with their college clubs for a month longer (assuming they don't slide beginning of practice significantly).

Any problems with this proposal I feel are (for the most part) external to "college baseball" and really do pale in comparison to the upside. The D1 article really does spell out it pretty real terms the advantages to the important pieces: financial health of the college game, academics, and player welfare/health.

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer
What do you folks think? Lots of activity on this one.
https://community.hsbaseballweb.com...ive-coaches-unveil-new-college-baseball-model

Pushback from Citadel. Why are they splitting stadium time with Minor League? Finances? Is that minor league team going to be around after cuts?
https://www.postandcourier.com/spor...cle_2ff73d48-a503-11ea-8cdf-eba63fd6d05c.html

Kendall has his video and Rudd has his talking with EB from Michigan.

Curious to see what y'all think after more time to digest....As you can see from my posts there, I'm a fan and for it. Too many pros and not many cons and helps almost everyone.
16 schools make it into July. No one is complaining now about playing in June, after school gets out.....

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
What do you folks think? Lots of activity on this one.
https://community.hsbaseballweb.com...ive-coaches-unveil-new-college-baseball-model

Pushback from Citadel. Why are they splitting stadium time with Minor League? Finances? Is that minor league team going to be around after cuts?
https://www.postandcourier.com/spor...cle_2ff73d48-a503-11ea-8cdf-eba63fd6d05c.html

Kendall has his video and Rudd has his talking with EB from Michigan.

Curious to see what y'all think after more time to digest....As you can see from my posts there, I'm a fan and for it. Too many pros and not many cons and helps almost everyone.
16 schools make it into July. No one is complaining now about playing in June, after school gets out.....
I am all for it. Completely agree. Far more pros than cons. I'm symathetic to the Citadel & other programs who may suffer from this change (for now.... I'll take their word for it). However, the number of programs that will benefit... possibly every northern program... far out number the Citadels of D1.

Sharing a minor league facility is likely a great way to save (& make) a buck in Charleston. Duke does it in Durham... but they do play a few games on their campus. Not sure if the Citadel even has that option. To me... this is something (a problem) that can be figured out with a little planning.

Has Ga Tech (CDH) gone on record with a public response to the plan?

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer
The Duke field is seriously like a HS turf field. (no locker rooms or showers). Nothing too exciting. (I've seen HS fields in TX way nicer and have more seats).
They borrow/pay for Durham Bulls on the weekends.

When does the Minor League Cut list come out? That will definitely get people's attention and pocket books.

I'd love to understand the numbers for the group that doesn't think it would help to better understand their opposition and degree to which it would "hurt" those programs.
Even if it "hurts", hard to argue that there is benefit to less travel, longer ramp up, reduced stress on the bodies and minds of college athletes with a potential boost on ticket sales and concessions.
The beer thing was just taking off at GT and the renovation should be starting this week with the party deck and other improvements. All systems still a go on that, which is a great thing!!
Would be great to see more fans in the stands for more games.

Would be neat to see/play at LSU, Ole Miss, Hail State, and Arkansas in front of 8K+ on average.
2019 Fan numbers

View attachment 8401
or numbers from 2017
https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Issues/2017/06/02/Research-and-Ratings/NCAA-baseball.aspx

upload_2020-6-7_12-52-20.png