Future of CFB - Transfer Portal?

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
I support this but the NCAA really needs to crackdown on the tampering rules if this goes into effect so you don’t have factories recruiting off lower-level P5 and G5 rosters.

Coaches are already prohibited from contacting current players until they are actually in the portal. Granted, I don't doubt that some try to sneak around this rule.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
We will have transfer problems from some of these programs due to our STEM majors. Hard to get a Parks and Recs or Phys Ed kid into a Tech major. They can go the other way much easier. Business majors are possible but most of the top P5 players aren't science majors.

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
I support this but the NCAA really needs to crackdown on the tampering rules if this goes into effect so you don’t have factories recruiting off lower-level P5 and G5 rosters.
I may be wrong, but didn't we have a so called "booster" either talk about or attempted to do this? :)

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
This is something I've advocated for. It makes sense. Honestly, I think GT has a LOT to gain with this rule as we tend to lose to factories in recruiting, but those recruits can now go to those "dream" schools and realize it's a nightmare and transfer to GT and play immediately.

Of course, the law of unintended consequences always pops up...
Agree 100% and with our past attrition level, we should have open scholarships every year.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
You knew this was coming. the staff at the NCAA was completely overwhelmed by the number of requests for waiver. And the waiver rules were easy to overcome and difficult to adjudicate.
True. But, purely in my opinion, this situation has been created by the NCAA refusing to adjudicate their rules at all. It's a black eye on them that LSU won a National Championship maybe a year or so after the FBI busted one of their boosters laundering money through a charity to pay players with. And the NCAA did nothing. Now they've created a division where only 10-15 teams are competitive because they are allowed to stockpile all the talent by cheating, paying players under the table and giving them fake degrees. Opening up the transfer market will allow the NCAA to do nothing about the cheating by the all-powerful Bamas and LSUs while they hope the possibility of the 4 star DT you gave $200,000 to deciding to leave after a year on the bench might discourage some of the throwing around of money that could end up wasted if you wind up watching that kid win a National Championship for your opponent.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
https://www.foxnews.com/sports/ncaa-moves-toward-immediate-eligibility-for-all-transfers

Will be voted on by council in April, and if passed will go in effect fall 2020, granting an athlete immediate eligibility after their first transfer.

Of course. Finally a rule is going to benefit Tech and they immediately find a way to “fix” it. I know this is in the student athletes best interest but i was kind of pumped for the prospect of atl talent having extra incentive to transfer back home.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Anyone’s guess on the transfer?
I think the new rule could really hurt the Bamas and Gaggers of this world. When they see they are going to sit for another couple of years after being promised the moon.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I think the new rule could really hurt the Bamas and Gaggers of this world. When they see they are going to sit for another couple of years after being promised the moon.
I am not so sure I agree with this. Put yourself in the mind of a 19 year old athlete who was heavily recruited and told he might not play much as a freshman, but the future championships are being built with guys like him. If nothing else, these kids have a lot of confidence in their ability to grow and succeed.

If Spring practice of his Soph year passes and he is still taking reps with the scout team, he will get the message. But, are those the guys we want to recruit 3 or 4 years from now? A second team offensive lineman might not get many minutes until his junior or senior season unless he is truly great. Those guys are not transferring from Bama to GT two years after high school.

What is more likely, is a kid is redshirted his freshman year, then works his tail off the next year. Then he sees a 5* recruit coming in at his position. He has not played much, but always hoped he would be next in line when he matured a bit. Now he's wondering whether the hyped kid is cemented in front of him and those minutes he dreamed about are now going to the new kid. He has three years of eligibility left if he acts before his second & third choice schools fill up their slots. If he sticks around for another year without much PT, the only schools interested in him are he ones desperate for recruits with any ability at all. His dreams of championships will be gone.

mts315

Ramblin' Wreck
Anyone’s guess on the transfer?
I could see it go the other way. A 3* or 2* recruit comes in to a lower tier school and blows up but his current team doesn't have the pieces to be a contender. Nothing is stopping that player from transferring to a bigger name school with a chance at a Championship. I could see this as making it easier for the top tier teams to stay there as they can just poach the top kids from lower level teams at any time.

dhbartlett12

Ramblin' Wreck
more freedom is good. thats how it works 99% of the time. there certainly are things that will happen that we cant cant account for now, but when moving from more restrictions to less, we dont need to think of everything before moving that direction.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Personally i think this free transfer rule is going to be a free-for-all sh!t-show, everytime a kid gets his feels hurt by a coach or someone gets in his ear about more playing time elsewhere they’ll be gone. And what will keep other teams from actively recruiting kids they want from other teams?

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
Personally i think this free transfer rule is going to be a free-for-all sh!t-show, everytime a kid gets his feels hurt by a coach or someone gets in his ear about more playing time elsewhere they’ll be gone. And what will keep other teams from actively recruiting kids they want from other teams?

I believe there are already rules in place for the “active recruiting.” Regardless that wouldn’t change anything from the current transfer portal system.