Future of CFB - Transfer Portal?

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Does anyone foresee a coach just using the portal for future recruiting? Just sign a few players, save on budget, and reel in transfers? Put out a help wanted sign and use it like red shirting?
Could be like free agency in baseball, but could change your roster every three years with older players.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Does anyone foresee a coach just using the portal for future recruiting? Just sign a few players, save on budget, and reel in transfers? Put out a help wanted sign and use it like red shirting?
Could be like free agency in baseball, but could change your roster every three years with older players.

I like the idea of players changing teams every week. Total free agency. Coaches too. Stretch the season to 24 games. Allow gambling. Naked women as referees.

Sorry. Stream of consciousness. That’s what JUCOs were for.

Em_Jae20

Helluva Engineer
Recruiting will always be the life blood of the consistently successful teams in college football. It's great for supplementing some shortcomings your team may have but it would be tough to sustain.

Gtswifty81

Jolly Good Fellow
There are some good players in the portal but not enough to replace good recruiting. A lot of the portal players are backups looking for more playing time. I think it’s more valuable for tech to use to manage their roster and fill gaps at certain positions.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Wouldn't surprise me to see teams save a few spots after early signing just for transfers. You have a better idea of what they can do than some of the high school kids and they are used to college life in general. It sure seems to be getting out of hand though. Another headache for the coaches to deal with.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I like the idea of players changing teams every week. Total free agency. Coaches too. Stretch the season to 24 games. Allow gambling. Naked women as referees.

Sorry. Stream of consciousness. That’s what JUCOs were for.
a: You had something going for a minute there. b: speaking of transfers, will the last one out of Florida State turn off the stadium lights? What in the wide, wide world of sports is going on there? (Miami does seem to be using FSU as its exclusive transfer portal.)

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
There are some good players in the portal but not enough to replace good recruiting. A lot of the portal players are backups looking for more playing time. I think it’s more valuable for tech to use to manage their roster and fill gaps at certain positions.
Agree with this. IMO, some 3 and 4 star players either just did not work out or may have been rated too high. Its interesting how some kids are walk-ons and beat out scholarship players. It all comes down to how well coaches evaluate players. I didn't keep up much with Parker Braun last season. I thought he would have been a huge benefit for us last year. Does anyone know how well he did at Texas. I know he was a starter. Any conference awards / draft status?

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I see this evolving into a system where programs can actually trade players and a future scholarship spot for the players they covet and need to balance out their rosters. Players will be able to enter the portal based on their personal whim at the moment and the schools will be able to place players in the portal based on the same whim of the man/woman in charge. I could foresee players bartering for higher salaries and being lured away by the highest bidder. Say a Joe Burrow would demand a higher price than a James Graham but both would be looking out for themselves and their personal best interest. The roster would be shifting and evolving on a daily basis with no limits or restrictions on anyone or anything. All players would be given an unlimited stash of marijuana and encouraged to smoke it even in the huddle. Oh what a glorious future awaits.

Go Jackets!

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
a: You had something going for a minute there. b: speaking of transfers, will the last one out of Florida State turn off the stadium lights? What in the wide, wide world of sports is going on there? (Miami does seem to be using FSU as its exclusive transfer portal.)

Nice one :ROFLMAO:

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Agree with this. IMO, some 3 and 4 star players either just did not work out or may have been rated too high. Its interesting how some kids are walk-ons and beat out scholarship players. It all comes down to how well coaches evaluate players. I didn't keep up much with Parker Braun last season. I thought he would have been a huge benefit for us last year. Does anyone know how well he did at Texas. I know he was a starter. Any conference awards / draft status?
I watched him. He was great. He often was part of double team in pass pro. With the big qb they ran a lot of designed qb scrambles. Parker went down field and moved the lb or safety out. On runs, they often had him pull . His agility was beautiful. Our OL needed his on field leadership.

I will be interested in how he does in draft.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

This is something I've advocated for. It makes sense. Honestly, I think GT has a LOT to gain with this rule as we tend to lose to factories in recruiting, but those recruits can now go to those "dream" schools and realize it's a nightmare and transfer to GT and play immediately.

Of course, the law of unintended consequences always pops up...

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
I have long advocated for a one time change of heart waiver. Most of these kids sign before they turn 18. Plus, there is the fact that coaches sometimes lie or straight up leave before the kid gets to campus. I do think it helps us more than it hurts, but I just think it is plain right.

This also takes the decision out of some committee's hands to decide what constututes a legit hardship in a guy's life or how close to home is close enough.

I hope the ncaa will adopt this swiftly.

Last edited:

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
I watched him. He was great. He often was part of double team in pass pro. With the big qb they ran a lot of designed qb scrambles. Parker went down field and moved the lb or safety out. On runs, they often had him pull . His agility was beautiful. Our OL needed his on field leadership.

I will be interested in how he does in draft.

That’s awesome. I wasn’t able to take as much time to watch him play as I would have liked so I’m so happy to hear he looked terrific.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
I like this. I would add one thing though. If you want to transfer and not sit a year you have to be in good academic standing.

heyhellowhatsup

Jolly Good Fellow
I support this but the NCAA really needs to crackdown on the tampering rules if this goes into effect so you don’t have factories recruiting off lower-level P5 and G5 rosters.