Fulmer Cup Update- uga style

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
OK, so most of the time I enjoy seeing their players screw up...but this one seems a little tame. Does anyone know exactly what they were doing with the BB gun that is bringing felony charges against them?

I'm really glad I didn't get caught doing a lot of the stupid stuff I did when I was 18...

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
AJC reports that Chad Clay (son of a former GT player, who chose to go to UGA) was arrested on felony charges, along with fellow freshman Julian Rochester. It appears that Chad Clay made the right choice for his collegiate football experience.

65Jacket

GT Athlete
But the laws were a lot more reasonable when you and I were kids. Now, you could be arrested for carrying a cap pistol to school. But we did not have school shooting in my school days.

mts315

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't have issue with the BB gun on campus, that is just stupid. I think the other charge is what is really the issue...

A second degree criminal damage charge can be brought if an individual intentionally damages someone else's property without their consent, and the damage is valued at more than $500, or if property of any value is recklessly or intentionally damaged by fire or explosive.

Sounds like they may have been shooting at other peoples property. I have heard of kids shooting out car windows with BB guns. So, I think the property damage component is the real issue.

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/college/two-georgia-football-players-arrested-charged-felo/nq4Fc/

According attorney Stephens, the players apparently were shooting solo cups in their dorm room with a BB gun, which left marks on the door and in other areas of the room. The way the statute reads, anything that shoots a projectile — “including a straw and spitball” — fits the definition of a weapon on campus.

The current political debate over campus carry legislation makes this a particularly volatile issue. House Bill 859 sits on the desk of Gov. Nathan Deal and would allow anyone 21 or older with a weapons license to carry a gun anywhere on a public college or university campus, except for inside four places: dormitories, fraternities and sorority houses, and at athletic events. Everywhere else, including campus child care centers, music concert venues and classrooms, would be open under the bill.

Neither Clay (19) nor Rochester (18) are 21 years old.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/college/two-georgia-football-players-arrested-charged-felo/nq4Fc/

According attorney Stephens, the players apparently were shooting solo cups in their dorm room with a BB gun, which left marks on the door and in other areas of the room. The way the statute reads, anything that shoots a projectile — “including a straw and spitball” — fits the definition of a weapon on campus.

The current political debate over campus carry legislation makes this a particularly volatile issue. House Bill 859 sits on the desk of Gov. Nathan Deal and would allow anyone 21 or older with a weapons license to carry a gun anywhere on a public college or university campus, except for inside four places: dormitories, fraternities and sorority houses, and at athletic events. Everywhere else, including campus child care centers, music concert venues and classrooms, would be open under the bill.

Neither Clay (19) nor Rochester (18) are 21 years old.
Funny how the author chose to throw the political cheese into the salad when it has no bearing as neither guy is 21. If that wasn't enough, they were in their dorm room, which is a prohibited place in the bill.

00Burdell

Helluva Engineer
Felonies definitely aren't what they used to be, that's for sure.

Back in the day, being a convicted felon meant something. Today, it means you cut in line at the DMV.

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
And now I get to hear from my UGA buddies how the A-CCPD is overzealous in it's policing of the city. In other words, they don't give favoritism to UGA players. They are nothing like Tuscaloosa PD, for example.