FSU Series 23-25 April 2021

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Down 0-2 in the series heading into the final game...and give up 5 runs in the first inning.

We're in a sad and major swoon. Way too much talent on the team to have this happen. FSU has 6 underclassmen in their starters...true, only a couple freshmen. But its the end of April, a freshmen has been in college for almost a year at this point. Other teams play with a lot of young guys too.
That's true, but baseball is also a little different as it's more of a grind. Freshmen seemingly always hit a wall in baseball because the season is so much longer than they usually play.

Deleted member 2897

Big win today to salvage a game. Grissom is something else and I really hope he is made the Sunday starter next week. Crawford is better suited for the pen imo and maybe even at closer.

Bu the skin of our teeth. 😬

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Big win today to salvage a game. Grissom is something else and I really hope he is made the Sunday starter next week. Crawford is better suited for the pen imo and maybe even at closer.
CDH... in FSU post-game said Grissom will be in "starting rotation" ... he did hedge by saying "weekend" or "midweek".

I've never heard of a midweek "rotation" per se.

I'd expect Grissom to start at some point v KSU this weekend.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
CDH... in FSU post-game said Grissom will be in "starting rotation" ... he did hedge by saying "weekend" or "midweek".

I've never heard of a midweek "rotation" per se.

I'd expect Grissom to start at some point v KSU this weekend.
When I read "starting rotation", I read "one of our top 4 or 5 starters", whether that be on weekends or midweek (due to fewer midweek games this year, I'd say top 4). Granted, for college baseball, most people fixate on the 3 weekend starters as their "rotation". But I'd go back to the days when Mark Pope was definitely a part of our starting rotation as a freshman, and was drawing, and thoroughly beating, UGA on Tuesdays or Wednesdays. I suspect Buck Farmer started the same way, but Pope's dominance over Georgia midweek is what I recall. Clearly, Pope was a significant part of our starting rotation, just not on Friday, Saturday, or Sunday.

Our problem lately is that we don't have a 4 or 5 deep rotation. If we did, we could move guys around and better handle a missed Hurter start. But Roedig has been hurt and not particularly effective when he pitches, Grissom has been out due to injury. Imagine Tech's trajectory if we had a "starting rotation" of Hurter, Roedig, Archer, Grissom, Crawford. And that's ignoring the potential starting contributions from other highly qualified pitchers that we may have seen or not seen yet. Grissom may start this weekend, and I would be excited to see it, but I also wouldn't be disappointed if he finally nails down our midweek slot, although I don't know how many more of those we have coming up. other than... UGA...

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
When I read "starting rotation", I read "one of our top 4 or 5 starters", whether that be on weekends or midweek (due to fewer midweek games this year, I'd say top 4). Granted, for college baseball, most people fixate on the 3 weekend starters as their "rotation". But I'd go back to the days when Mark Pope was definitely a part of our starting rotation as a freshman, and was drawing, and thoroughly beating, UGA on Tuesdays or Wednesdays. I suspect Buck Farmer started the same way, but Pope's dominance over Georgia midweek is what I recall. Clearly, Pope was a significant part of our starting rotation, just not on Friday, Saturday, or Sunday.

Our problem lately is that we don't have a 4 or 5 deep rotation. If we did, we could move guys around and better handle a missed Hurter start. But Roedig has been hurt and not particularly effective when he pitches, Grissom has been out due to injury. Imagine Tech's trajectory if we had a "starting rotation" of Hurter, Roedig, Archer, Grissom, Crawford. And that's ignoring the potential starting contributions from other highly qualified pitchers that we may have seen or not seen yet. Grissom may start this weekend, and I would be excited to see it, but I also wouldn't be disappointed if he finally nails down our midweek slot, although I don't know how many more of those we have coming up. other than... UGA...
Yeah... UGA is only midweek opponent remaining.
Tomorrow (D.Smith announced started)
&
May 18th (starter TBD)

THWG

Helluva Engineer

A lot of my hopes for this year rested on Roedig being the Saturday starter. The rotation has been solid, but we all know how good Roedig can be and we're missing his arm right now. It usually takes time to find the zone after any surgery and that has been his problem this year. His last appearance though he had like 20 strikes in 25 pitches (granted he did get shelled) so maybe he can find it before the end of the year. He could be a huge X factor down the stretch.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
A lot of my hopes for this year rested on Roedig being the Saturday starter. The rotation has been solid, but we all know how good Roedig can be and we're missing his arm right now. It usually takes time to find the zone after any surgery and that has been his problem this year. His last appearance though he had like 20 strikes in 25 pitches (granted he did get shelled) so maybe he can find it before the end of the year. He could be a huge X factor down the stretch.

We are missing Finley too. I thought that with the quantity of pitchers we had (23), that we'd have a lot more depth now.

No time like the present to develop new pitchers.

Fast Hook out.