FSU Series 23-25 April 2021

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
After attempting to appease the Baseball Gods, I'll start off this series.

Series scheduled start times 7:30, 4 & 1. Saturday has lots of thunderstorms but may clear (~30% likely?) before the 4 PM game. Otherwise doubleheader on Sunday?

On ACCNX so we will hopefully get Wiley and cohort. Why Wiley isn't the Voice of the Yellow Jackets is beyond me.

It's a toss-up in my mind as to who will take the series. Big factors
  • Is Hurter back? Can we get the Quick Hook and multiple reliable pitchers for an inning or two each?
  • Both teams look the same when comparing quadrant wins and losses. Only way to guess which is which is that we have played more games:
    1619089496261.png
    1619089541420.png
  • We have a worse home record than away Home 7-9 and 11-5 away. FSU is more balanced at 12-10 home and 6-4 away. So FSU has mainly played at home but done ok on the road.
  • We both score a lot of runs a game - GT 6.7 and FSU 6.4
  • But we give up a lot more runs per game 6.2 allowed (includes impact of errors) versus 4.2 for FSU. Errors - GT 1.4 a game versus FSU 1.2.
  • FSU ACC history (most recent last) and how we did against common opponent
    • Beat BC​
    • Lost @ L'Ville (we beat)​
    • Beat UNC​
    • Lost to Wake (we beat)​
    • Swept Miami​
    • Beat @ VT (we beat)​
    • Swept by Pitt (we lost)​

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
From FSU 247:

FRIDAY, April 23, 2021
7:30 p.m. – ACC Network Extra
FSU: LHP Parker Messick (3-2, 2.70 ERA) vs. GT: LHP Brant Hurter (3-2, 3.60 ERA)

SATURDAY, April 24, 2021
4:00 p.m. – ACC Network Extra
FSU: LHP Bryce Hubbart (4-2, 3.99 ERA) vs. GT: RHP Andy Archer (4-3, 3.19 ERA)

SUNDAY, April 25, 2021
1:00 p.m. – ACC Network Extra
FSU: RHP Conor Grady (4-2, 3.63 ERA) vs. GT: LHP Sam Crawford (2-4, 4.75 ERA)

Deleted member 2897

After attempting to appease the Baseball Gods, I'll start off this series.

Series scheduled start times 7:30, 4 & 1. Saturday has lots of thunderstorms but may clear (~30% likely?) before the 4 PM game. Otherwise doubleheader on Sunday?

On ACCNX so we will hopefully get Wiley and cohort. Why Wiley isn't the Voice of the Yellow Jackets is beyond me.

It's a toss-up in my mind as to who will take the series. Big factors
  • Is Hurter back? Can we get the Quick Hook and multiple reliable pitchers for an inning or two each?
  • Both teams look the same when comparing quadrant wins and losses. Only way to guess which is which is that we have played more games:View attachment 10395View attachment 10396
  • We have a worse home record than away Home 7-9 and 11-5 away. FSU is more balanced at 12-10 home and 6-4 away. So FSU has mainly played at home but done ok on the road.
  • We both score a lot of runs a game - GT 6.7 and FSU 6.4
  • But we give up a lot more runs per game 6.2 allowed (includes impact of errors) versus 4.2 for FSU. Errors - GT 1.4 a game versus FSU 1.2.
  • FSU ACC history (most recent last) and how we did against common opponent
    • Beat BC​
    • Lost @ L'Ville (we beat)​
    • Beat UNC​
    • Lost to Wake (we beat)​
    • Swept Miami​
    • Beat @ VT (we beat)​
    • Swept by Pitt (we lost)​

Note I did not create this thread. Therefore all bad karma and bad luck have been removed from the GT baseball universe.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Note I did not create this thread. Therefore all bad karma and bad luck have been removed from the GT baseball universe.

Maye not all (or any) bad karma has been removed. If we lose, we'll have to continue the witch hunt.

I'll count winning the series as enough Objective Quality Evidence (OQE) that sufficient bad karma has been removed. Can't be greedy with The Baseball Gods.

Deleted member 2897

Maye not all (or any) bad karma has been removed. If we lose, we'll have to continue the witch hunt.

I'll count winning the series as enough Objective Quality Evidence (OQE) that sufficient bad karma has been removed. Can't be greedy with The Baseball Gods.

I can dig up something I’ve done to be held responsible.

Deleted member 2897

Well we beat them at pretty much every other sport. I guess you can’t win them all.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Well we beat them at pretty much every other sport. I guess you can’t win them all.
Eh, it's just the first game. Hurter wasn't as sharp as he usually is and I expected that after he missed the start last week. Smith was awesome today though and he has been pitching really well lately which is huge for us.

As for the offense, we missed some chances early on and that really killed any momentum we could have had. Compton is struggling immensely right now and really needs to sit a game or two. He has hit the freshman wall and needs a game or two off to have a mental break. We desperately need Hall back, too.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
When we left 6 on the first 3 innings, I figured it may not be our night.

Kudos to Dalton! 3IP, 0 ER, 2BB, 2 SO.

Awful pitching by Medich. Hurter looked ok except for sporadic bad pitches which FSU took advantage of (for part I watched).

We were just stone cold hitting with only 4 hits. 140 pitches to 31 AB (=4.5 pitches / AB).

Our error led to 2 unearned runs. Plus in the first Reid didn't get to a foul ball. @GT Bravo was there and said there was a shift to left. I only saw that it was close ........ have to make those plays. 3 pitches later, FSU hitter got his HR.

Good summary by Hall - addressed at end why we don't understand why we have been so bad at home. LOL about key for today, pitch well, field well and hit well.

Just win today!

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
Disclaimer: I didn’t see much of the game last night. The (new) troubling thing to me is that we now have been shut out at least once during each of our last three ACC series. I don’t get how we can sandwich a bagel between two double digit games. I get that it’s baseball and you run into pitchers that are just “on”. But it is starting to happen too often for me to think that it’s “just baseball”. Anyone have any explanations?

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Disclaimer: I didn’t see much of the game last night. The (new) troubling thing to me is that we now have been shut out at least once during each of our last three ACC series. I don’t get how we can sandwich a bagel between two double digit games. I get that it’s baseball and you run into pitchers that are just “on”. But it is starting to happen too often for me to think that it’s “just baseball”. Anyone have any explanations?

It's The Baseball Gods.

In other words, no. I don't buy "it's just baseball" either.

Inexplicable, right up there with why we have a much worse record at home. Or why our fielding is contagious; either good or bad.

The sum of the individual player's talent is more than the sum of the whole so far this year. For the part I watched, I didn't see a lot of energy from our guys but that could just have been where the camera was going. People at the games need to say more (or be smart unlike me and say less).

We can catch fire IMHO if we can develop more pitching depth but time is running out (already???!!!) with only three more ACC series after FSU! Right now not hosting with our home record is a good thing.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
The 2 recent shutouts ? ... I do credit the other teams' [starting] pitchers. Both were dominant. It happens. We usually credit Ga Tech's talent when we win. Same in reverse.... other teams on our schedule bring talent too.

In general... Ga Tech is not playing up to potential, though. Too many defensive issues. Too many baserunning blunders. I'll keep watching & supporting this group. ... the ingredients are there for something special.