FSU @ GT 1/30/2021

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I’m not sure whether this is just my perception, but it seems like players other than Alvarado are bringing the ball up the court more than last year, and even more than earlier in the season. I saw Usher and Devoe and others kind of playing point for a bit.

I pulled up a quick list of dribble-drive offense plays. We’re running them. When Devoe or others dribble in, it’s to drive to the basket, or pull defenders to you and kick out or pass to Moses or another player cutting to or near the basket.

Maybe Devoe should be taking more shots from behind the arc instead of penetrating, but it sure looks like he’s playing what the team is practicing.

While we’re on the topic, Usher was having some fun dribbling the ball up last night and showing off some fancy moves.

That's just modern basketball now. All 5 guys have to have the ability to put the ball on the floor and get the ball moving. From High School all the way up to the NBA we're starting to see an almost "positionless" ability to handle the ball.

That's why you have to like the potential of Saba. He can put the ball on floor, and looks to dribble by the defender. Oh, and he's also 7+ feet tall.

Last edited:

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Moses has to be able to play without picking up fouls. So far he has done that. We really need to keep him in games. He is having a really good year. He has improved every year. Great game yesterday against a very tall team. We need Howard and Saba to rest him at times or if he gets into foul trouble like usher did yesterday.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
SWEET.
It seems that that win showed more effort/exertion than I've seen in probably any game this yr.NOTHING came easy for us on the Offensive side especially (until the end for Mo).Getting rebs, loose balls, extra passes and hard drives were the norm.Very good that we lasted through to the end with all that effort as on the last 2 on the road we didn't.
-stating the obvious--Jose is amazing.Not only gives the effort but is successful in his efforts,as there are plenty that don't have both.Plays like a SR. Smart and hard.Is there a better player in ACC.?.

Jacket20

Georgia Tech Fan
Hello to all the people who **** on Mike Devoe over a couple of bad games.

Eat **** & die.

Good evening sirs!
A great win but Devoe was terrible...yes he hit some open threes but all he did was drive the lane and stop and not shoot or create but pass back out to someone else. I'm sorry but I don't see all the Devoe love.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
A great win but Devoe was terrible...yes he hit some open threes but all he did was drive the lane and stop and not shoot or create but pass back out to someone else. I'm sorry but I don't see all the Devoe love.

You've missed the point.

There is a difference between criticism and ****ting on a player. You've got a mix of both in your comment.

Your comment on him driving the lane and what it results in? A fair criticism, although he was also solid from the Line and added 8Rebs amongst the FSU trees and 4 assists.

You calling him terrible? ****ty comment on your part and untrue over the body of work this season and his career.

We lose last night without him, but he's terrible? You're incorrect.

gameface

Jolly Good Fellow
Many times earlier in the season Devoe was able to get into the lane and use his bulk and/or shiftiness to get up a shot. Against the height advantage of FSU, he has a harder time doing this. I
do not fault him for trying; that is his style of play.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
I have the same issue with a lot of his drives but if you think he was "terrible" yesterday you saw a different game than I did. 3-7 from 3 was huge and 12 free throws says he was a lot more aggressive than normal.

gt02

Ramblin' Wreck
Pastner made it a clear priority to bring in ball handling when he got here. He brought in Jose, Mike, Bubba, and Sturdivant in 4 consecutive classes. Even with the SGs or wings, guys like Maxwell, Coleman, and Kelly all have good ball handling skills. I don't think Pastner wants just one guys completely running the show and bringing the ball up. It pays off for us this year as it allows Jose to play off ball some.
Agree. Plus hard for Alvarado to play a full game if he is bringing it up every play.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Today’s update in NET:
  • We jumped from #60 to #55
  • FSU dropped from #18 to #24
And as an example of how things can change quickly, following Duke’s throttling of Clemson:
  • Clemson dropped from #50 to #60
  • Duke jumped from #79 to #62
The direct impact to us is that our loss to Duke ‘looks better’ as it’s now a quad 1 loss, as opposed to quad 2.
What is the delineation among quads?

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
😂🤣😂🤣 1 game where he scores LIKE HE SHOULD EVERY GAME. And the other 2 he didn't even check in the game mentally.

Stop with the hard on for Devoe. He is good when he wants to be. Mr. Inconsistent should be his name. Alvarado on the other hand should be unquestionably 1st team All ACC this year. Moses Wright should be 1st or 2nd team as well.
Guess you’re one of the ones ****ting on Devoe...Laughable that anyone would doubt the kids ability.

It’s obvious that some of you have never played a minute of organized basketball. There are stretches (some games) where you can’t throw it in the ocean as a shooter.

jbix80

Ramblin' Wreck
You've missed the point.

There is a difference between criticism and ****ting on a player. You've got a mix of both in your comment.

Your comment on him driving the lane and what it results in? A fair criticism, although he was also solid from the Line and added 8Rebs amongst the FSU trees and 4 assists.

You calling him terrible? ****ty comment on your part and untrue over the body of work this season and his career.

We lose last night without him, but he's terrible? You're incorrect.
I think we lost the game against Duke because he didn’t play the final ten minutes. I know he was struggling, but he needed to be on the court in crunch time.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Many times earlier in the season Devoe was able to get into the lane and use his bulk and/or shiftiness to get up a shot. Against the height advantage of FSU, he has a harder time doing this. I
do not fault him for trying; that is his style of play.
If he forced it up or took bad shots, they’d be bitching about that too.

Most of the people complaining about Devoe don’t understand Mike impacts the game in more ways than shooting/scoring.

Personally, I can live with the missed shots (shooter shoot), and even some of the turnovers, but he can’t get into his head and loaf. CJP sat him against Duke and his effort was much better Sat.

His floor game and defense is as important as his offense in my opinion. When he’s plugged-in (I.e. playing D, rebounding, distributing, etc), those are the games when his J is falling.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
If he forced it up or took bad shots, they’d be bitching about that too.

Most of the people complaining about Devoe don’t understand Mike impacts the game in more ways than shooting/scoring.

Personally, I can live with the missed shots (shooter shoot), and even some of the turnovers, but he can’t get into his head and loaf. CJP sat him against Duke and his effort was much better Sat.

His floor game and defense is as important as his offense in my opinion. When he’s plugged-in (I.e. playing D, rebounding, distributing, etc), those are the games when his J is falling.

This is a salient point. All young players get 'up' when they're having success offensively. They all have to learn they need to keep playing hard even if the shots not falling. But it's a tough thing to do and even pros, at all levels of career, struggle with it. No shame in Devoe having bouts with that concept. Odd that basketball fans don't grasp that.

Another great point you make is in that a player like Devoe having impact beyond the counting stats. Surely everyone is aware of the 'gravity' concept? Shooters have it whether their shot is falling or not. Him being out there helps everyone else offensively have space to operate, to put it simply.

Folks gotta think beyond just looking at pts/rebs/asts/fg%

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
This is a salient point. All young players get 'up' when they're having success offensively. They all have to learn they need to keep playing hard even if the shots not falling. But it's a tough thing to do and even pros, at all levels of career, struggle with it. No shame in Devoe having bouts with that concept. Odd that basketball fans don't grasp that.

That is why I keep hoping/complaining that I wish GT would run a couple of sets early on to get him an easy shot or two off specific picks/motion designed just for him. I don't worry about Jose or Moses but I do worry that he needs an early success to keep his head in the game.