FSU Fires Baseball HC Mike Martin Jr. (Link to FSU Board)

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
LINK

Been lots of heat in Tally over his failure to win 40 games/season and/or make it to Omaha since his dad retired.

IIRC Meat had one year on his contract left at $450K.
That was a quick hook. Basically gave him 2 years not counting that Covid year (which no one does when they make excuses for coaches). Do you think there is any more to it than just performance?

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Not saying Ramsey will be the only candidate but they are coming no doubt
I have a few questions. LOTS OF BIG IFs follow.

Seems to me if FSU is firing Martin after 3 years that included covid over 2 seasons... then they have somebody already effectively locked up. I don't know how these things work, but that's pretty quick to fire a guy. His dad set a high bar... big expectations from fan base & school.

If Ramsey does end up the successor... more power to him walking into that. Also... in my mind, IF that happens, Ga Tech didn't "blow it with Ramsey" ...Ga Tech never had a chance, Ramsey just will have ended up where he wants to be.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
D1 Baseball's Kendall Rogers notes Link Jarrett, Notre Dame's head coach, as the likely front runner. Doesn't name any other potential candidates, but says that more candidates could emerge. Jarrett played for FSU from 1991-1994 and has a degree from FSU.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
D1 Baseball's Kendall Rogers notes Link Jarrett, Notre Dame's head coach, as the likely front runner. Doesn't name any other potential candidates, but says that more candidates could emerge. Jarrett played for FSU from 1991-1994 and has a degree from FSU.
Some in the twitterverse speculating that the Clemson opening scared FSU into moving quick with concerns Clemson would pursue Jarrett.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
That was a quick hook. Basically gave him 2 years not counting that Covid year (which no one does when they make excuses for coaches). Do you think there is any more to it than just performance?
Not everyone needs to see half a decade of mediocre results to pull the trigger. FSU cares about athletics. They’ve done it in football quickly and now baseball. They may be down in both but they’ll be back in both because they want to be back.

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
Not saying Ramsey will be the only candidate but they are coming no doubt
You may very well be right, but something tells me there have already been behind the scenes discussions with Ramsey with regard to a possible opening at FSU. Usually before a head coach is fired feelers will go out to potential replacements in the form of boosters or other friends of the program. I don't have anything more than a gut feeling that something like this may have happened with Coach Ramsey which prompted the promotion to Associate head coach before our season was over. The timing of that happening just doesn't seem like a coincidence. I find it hard to believe if all of us fans are thinking about it, the powers that be at Tech haven't sat down with him and shared their vision of his future with the program and asked what assurances he needs to stay at Tech.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I have a few questions. LOTS OF BIG IFs follow.

Seems to me if FSU is firing Martin after 3 years that included covid over 2 seasons... then they have somebody already effectively locked up. I don't know how these things work, but that's pretty quick to fire a guy. His dad set a high bar... big expectations from fan base & school.

If Ramsey does end up the successor... more power to him walking into that. Also... in my mind, IF that happens, Ga Tech didn't "blow it with Ramsey" ...Ga Tech never had a chance, Ramsey just will have ended up where he wants to be.

We have little real knowledge and less control over what happens. But Ramsey to me is by far the strongest part of our program right now. Certainly the hitting part he is responsible for is one of the best in the country and the other phases (pitching and defense) not so much. Again limited knowledge but some.

Ramsey should be in the driver's seat based on what he has done so far in his career. Let's hope his wife's and now his ties to GT are strong enough to keep him. And that he gets enough salary to stay. Stansbury could have blown it already by not providing enough behind the scenes assurances. Here's to hoping Ramsey stays.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Jarrett is the favorite and possibly the only candidate ....... we'll see. Funny coach speak. He says he has no idea what's going on in Tallahassee; so he is oblivious and shouldn't be a head coach?
1654954773075.png

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
We have little real knowledge and less control over what happens. But Ramsey to me is by far the strongest part of our program right now. Certainly the hitting part he is responsible for is one of the best in the country and the other phases (pitching and defense) not so much. Again limited knowledge but some.

Ramsey should be in the driver's seat based on what he has done so far in his career. Let's hope his wife's and now his ties to GT are strong enough to keep him. And that he gets enough salary to stay. Stansbury could have blown it already by not providing enough behind the scenes assurances. Here's to hoping Ramsey stays.
I love what Ramsey's done. You put it perfectly "strongest part of our program" ...we'll know much more once FSU & Clemson make hires.

I have no desire to defend Stansbury but Ramsey isn't the ONLY guy who can be the next head coach & succeed. The job will draw outstanding coaching candidates. If it is someone else other than Ramsey (no matter how it happens), we cannot preemptively say TStan blew it. Let's at least wait & see how this plays out.

Interesting reading between lines of Link Jsrrett's statement. Certainly didn't "commit" to staying in South Bend.

FittedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
FSU and Clemson will set in motion a series of changes which presumptively lead to opening of other power 5 jobs such as Notre Dame and Michigan just as an example. Should be an interesting couple of weeks as coaches will want to finalize rosters as the transfer portal closes June 30th, and scholarship submissions must be made to the schools’ athletic department by July 1st.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
I love what Ramsey's done. You put it perfectly "strongest part of our program" ...we'll know much more once FSU & Clemson make hires.

I have no desire to defend Stansbury but Ramsey isn't the ONLY guy who can be the next head coach & succeed. The job will draw outstanding coaching candidates. If it is someone else other than Ramsey (no matter how it happens), we cannot preemptively say TStan blew it. Let's at least wait & see how this plays out.

Interesting reading between lines of Link Jsrrett's statement. Certainly didn't "commit" to staying in South Bend.

I'd be curious to know how many people thought some former player from Miami of Ohio, assistant coach at Michigan, and current coach at Kent State would successfully follow Jim Morris at Georgia Tech back in 1994...

That was just prior to my time at GT, so I have no thoughts other than it seems to have worked out pretty well. And as far as I have heard, Danny Hall is still GT's head coach, so any speculation about future head coaches seems to be premature at this point.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
After cruising the fsu board, they’re basically all in on Link. Ramsey’s name was floated, but pretty quickly dismissed because he doesn’t have HC experience and they think Tech is his preferred job.

I assumed he’d be among their top candidates. Never know, but I’m breathing a little easier.